TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to turn on ambient interior lighting without the Premium Upgrades Package

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by WilliamZ, Feb 23, 2017.

1. WilliamZ

WilliamZ Member

For people with know-how, it would be a relatively easy thing to hardwire.
    For most of the regular gas cars, you can hardwire some aftermarket led lighting just by hardwire to the headlight cables, which whenever you turn on the headlights, it will be on. I would think it will work this way. But, Tesla is a Tesla.

2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 Porsche 918 Hybrid

Tesla is a Can-bus system ... so doubtful this will work :cool:

• Helpful x 1
  3. 00poop6x

00poop6x Member

Don't be doubtful, they run on a basic DC 5V-6V. Measured them in the passenger and driver's door panels already.

4. 00poop6x

00poop6x Member

IMG_20161105_153246-01.jpeg IMG_20161105_153232-01.jpeg

• Helpful x 2
  5. Stasla

Stasla Member

6. 00poop6x

00poop6x Member

I do not have PUP, also have standard audio. There are multiple strips each with its own harness. One strip goes separately to the door module above the speaker and the rest are wired in parallel..This way one strip only lights up when the door is opened or maybe when the car is parked. Comparing it to the premium model doors which I also removed, wires are the same. It's all software controlled.
    1st door is a 90D, PUP, ultra high fidelity sound
    2nd door is a 69D, non-PUP, standard audio system

The harness on the doorcard that plugs into the door module is the same--shape and wire colors. I didn't have both cars at the same time to swap door cards to confirm if everything works the same (I.e. swapping a non-PUP door card onto a PUP car)

I ordered some DC DC converters to grab a 12v switched power so the LEDs can be on when the cat is on. Haven't installed it yet.

EDIT, 60D, not 69D huehuehue. Car, not cat.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 6
  7. Stasla

Stasla Member

Awesome stuff! If you could put a step-by-step guide for this with a part list for the converters you are using, you'd be my personal hero!

Thank you, sir!

• Like x 1
  8. DC112

DC112 New Member

I have same situation. May I know if it works?

9. ab26

ab26 Member

Have you able to get this working yet?

10. 00poop6x

00poop6x Member

Have not. Have not even driven the X since February! Will update this thread with pics and description.

11. utmo

utmo Member

Any update on this project? Recently had a loaner with PUP interior lighting and liked it
    TIA

12. Karlton770

Karlton770 Member

Now that the lights come standard, lets see if they include it in an OTA update.

• Like x 1
  13. Stasla

Stasla Member

Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

• Like x 1
  14. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Why is this soooo hard. Let me pay money to activate what hardware is already there. I'd pay $400-500 if that helps.

• Like x 1
  15. Dj B

Dj B Member

Did you ever get this to work?

16. a4refillpad

a4refillpad Member

My opinion, the led strip in my X is so underwhelming compared to the S, I wouldn't waste time or money on it.

17. mkhalasi85

mkhalasi85 Member

I just emailed the local service center to see if this is something they can do. I really want that ambient lighting now!

18. Jayrod

Jayrod Member

#38 Jayrod, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Didn’t they at some point in 2017 make the ambient light available with or without PUP?

19. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

For builds July 2017 and after. Not sure they were going to retro it. Just like the tow package became standard, didn’t mean everyone before got a free tow package.

20. Stasla

Stasla Member

I inquired at a local Svc Ctr about the option to enable it and the cost last year. The respose was basically "you got what you paid for at the time and we can't change it"
    I emailed the suggestion through the exec escalation to offer these types of software upgrades piecemeal for those that didn't buy them initially as part of a package. Things like ambient lighting, auto-presenting doors, bioweapon defence mode for AC. It would create a nice revenue stream for Tesla at minimal cost....