Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to update model 3 software when there is no wifi in parking garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you are saying the SuperChargers aren't already on a network? How does your car and your app know how many supercharging slots are available and how many are broken?

They are clearly already networked, it would just be a question of upgrading bandwidth, if necessary, and separating off a guest wi-fi network, which is child's play for the network teams.

Cellular - both in the car and on the Superchargers. You can see a cell antenna on each V2 supercharger. V3 sites seem to have a common cell modem for the entire site. It appears that some V3 sites might be getting hardwired in areas where that is convenient.

Reactions: DDHEverything
Tesla should allow updates from downloading it from their computer, and load it in using a flash drive. Not sure how big the updates are however...
I would like this option,

Just to add to my iPhone hotspot method. I keep a Key Card in my console so when an update becomes available I can just cut off BT to my iPhone and then leave it in the car to download the new update. Then I use the key Card to lock and unlock.

Reactions: DDHEverything
You can connect to your company’s Wi-Fi, by parking as close to your office as possible.....
[you quoted and first person referenced me] The answer is: No I can't. There is no way to park near my office. While "some" people may be able to many if not most office parks/buildings don't allow or have access to park close enough to the office WiFi. Security and fire lanes prevent parking next to buildings and in my case it is NOT even physically possible.

Last edited:
I keep mine deep underground in a NYC parking garage. Only solution I have found is downloading the update via personal hotspot while driving. Just make sure you turn on WiFi in the car after you are in drive. It seems to switch off when you take it out of park.

But during some downloads, it makes the car temporarily 100% undrivable while downloading. How do you dealwith that?

Reactions: Moya90
But during some downloads, it makes the car temporarily 100% undrivable while downloading. How do you dealwith that?
Can you explain what you mean that the car is undrivable while downloading? I have used the cellphone wifi Hotspot method to download software updates while driving and have never experienced any issues while driving the car. The software downloaded in the background while the car worked as normal.

Reactions: JulienW
Can you explain what you mean that the car is undrivable while downloading? I have used the cellphone wifi Hotspot method to download software updates while driving and have never experienced any issues while driving the car. The software downloaded in the background while the car worked as normal.
Probably meant 100% can't chew gum and download at the same time.🤣🤣

They are already in the process of rolling out Starlink at some of them. About 6 weeks ago I was at one in SC where there was a tech installing it as one of their first beta test sites.
I live above/near a large SC station (30 stalls) but don't see a practical way to install Starlink. The Superchargers are 2 parking levels under and city on street level. Double sucks since I live in a high-rise and don't have a WiFi. Would love to have Starlink in the parking deck to download updates.

IMG_9036.jpeg