Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to update model 3 software when there is no wifi in parking garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lived in a condo where only has underground parking garuage. There is no wifi and celluar signal(maybe there will be a tiny signal around 5-10 seconds for each 5 mins) down there. How can I update my car software? and possible adding a signal booster might help? Thank you

I lived in a condo where only has underground parking garuage. There is no wifi and celluar signal(maybe there will be a tiny signal around 5-10 seconds for each 5 mins) down there. How can I update my car software? and possible adding a signal booster might help? Thank you

You can always use a public WiFi near a Starbucks or McDonald's, or yeah use your mobile hotspot when you have a strong signal. Then just park it and update. Maybe you can do this at a Supercharger and handle two tasks at once.

You can always use a public WiFi near a Starbucks or McDonald's, or yeah use your mobile hotspot when you have a strong signal. Then just park it and update. Maybe you can do this at a Supercharger and handle two tasks at once.
This is a good idea, but I thought installing update need shutdown the car. Can supercharger charge the car while the car shutdown?

This is a good idea, but I thought installing update need shutdown the car. Can supercharger charge the car while the car shutdown?
The OP is saying how to download. There is no way you would be at a SC long enough to download AND install. Just downloading can take 1 to 3 hours and sometimes you may need to do it in sections. EXAMPLE: 40% at the SC and then 30% at a free WiFi and the last 30% hotspot on phone. You can install anytime later like at work or overnight.

I live in a high-rise/parking deck and use my iPhone as a hotspot to download updates when available. Also have a free WiFi spot near a gym that I use sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spacep0d
note
Tesla does not necessarily read anything on this forum, so suggesting things to them here in this forum is not a viable means.

While you certainly aren’t guaranteed that your response will be seen, hot button issues discussed on these forums often make their way to Tesla. It would be borderline incompetent for Tesla to ignore this resource.

tldr; people at Tesla read TMC

Yeah good point on the actual update, but for the download portion you could easily use your mobile hotspot whilst Supercharging, or even in your own garage or car port (or anywhere you get signal). When you actually update your car it'll be immobile for about 25 minutes so ideally you'll do that at home or somewhere you're willing to wait for it, but yeah not in a Supercharger stall.

The car does not charge while updating, so best not do it at a Supercharger.
I set up the mobile hotspot as I am leaving my garage (connecting after the car is in drive), download the update as I drive (usually takes around 20 minutes), and then schedule the update to run during the middle of the night (when I know the garage won’t need to move my car). Has been bulletproof so far.

Reactions: Enadler
After a good update has been live a couple weeks you can call to request. The techs can push it over car cell connection. Or once Software-Advanced says it's waiting, enjoy a Starbucks in their parking lot - hotel - McDonald's - etc

Maybe when they start rolling out Starlink. Otherwise, running data to all of the superchargers in remote areas seems expensive and unnecessary.

So you are saying the SuperChargers aren't already on a network? How does your car and your app know how many supercharging slots are available and how many are broken?

They are clearly already networked, it would just be a question of upgrading bandwidth, if necessary, and separating off a guest wi-fi network, which is child's play for the network teams.

• Disagree
Reactions: DDHEverything
So you are saying the SuperChargers aren't already on a network? How does your car and your app know how many supercharging slots are available and how many are broken?

They are clearly already networked, it would just be a question of upgrading bandwidth, if necessary, and separating off a guest wi-fi network, which is child's play for the network teams.

Making a guest wi-fi network is no big deal, but it depends on how the superchargers are connected to the internet. It might be just connected to cell towers or even relying on satellite internet, which is fine enough for things such as billing to your car, telling if the charger is online, or how many chargers are available. Those don't demand a lot of data usage as IoT devices, but it's not going to be enough for people using it for regular internet usage, plus Tesla will be paying a hefty ton of fees for data usage.

With starlink, this could change, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Reactions: DDHEverything