Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to update nav maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would be extremely valuable if Tesla could provide a way to fix the onboard maps - especially the speed limits (which are missing or incorrect in many areas).

At least the new NAV software is using a cloud server for routing - which should have relatively up-to-date maps, compared to the original NAV software that has been using maps at least 2 years old.
I am curious about the distinction you are making about onboard maps and cloud-based routing. Is it possible to get a route form the cloud and apply it to canned (onboard) maps?

If your comment about onboard maps only pertains to speed limits, okay, but still. How can the car pay attention to two maps at once: one for routing, the other for speed limits? Sounds very iffy.

On the other hand, your comment (which I have now seen made in several threads and took to heart) about speed limit data being static makes that much more sense given the reports that the speed limit error reports made to TomTom via their web tool have not fixed the driving issues. It's not that TomTom is rejecting/ignoring the reports, it's that Tesla does not have a way or desire to regularly upload TomTom's most current data.

Incidentally, what is the source of your information on speed limit data being stored on board? Because you are mine :)

Elon,

How cool would it be if we could just snap a picture of the speed limit signs (which today usually have GPS, no?) and upload them someplace for a quick update.

In theory the car could do this itself (AP1 cars can read speed limit signs) although the devil's in the details.

Not to nitpick, but let me just point out that TMC is independent of Tesla, Inc. There is no guarantee that anyone from Tesla will read, much less act on your post. Also, Elon and Tesla are two different entities, but that's a different thing.

Bruce.

One of the things I miss the most about AP1 is reading speed limit signs. I take a road to work daily where AP2 is unusable considering it thinks the speed limit is 40 MPH (allowing me to go only 45 MPH) when the speed limit is actually 50 MPH. I just discovered this thread, I will learn the Open Street Map tutorial and try to update the speed limit and see if there's any change in a few weeks.

Regardless of how the map data gets revised, does anyone know for sure (1) how often new maps are published (it used to be infrequent, maybe once or twice a year, with the old system) and (2) does the car have to be on WiFi constantly to ensure getting current map data? I know we had to have WiFi for the initial set of new maps to load after the latest Navigation software was distributed, but do we need to remain on WiFi?

Regardless of how the map data gets revised, does anyone know for sure (1) how often new maps are published (it used to be infrequent, maybe once or twice a year, with the old system) and (2) does the car have to be on WiFi constantly to ensure getting current map data? I know we had to have WiFi for the initial set of new maps to load after the latest Navigation software was distributed, but do we need to remain on WiFi?

Supposedly has to be WiFi. Seems the map updates are very infrequent, like once a year if that. Frankly, it isn’t any better than what you get in a regular car with DVD updates. Except that it’s free.

What's complicated is that there are several sets of maps being used.
  • The console display shows Google maps, which are updated frequently, at least the road data, by Google - usually showing new or changed roads within days, though the satellite images often take months to change [a neighborhood near our house was underwater during hurricane Harvey - and when Google updated the satellite image while the area was underwater - it took months before they refreshed the image to show the area above water again.]
  • With the V2 routing software, unless disabled in the settings, routing calculations are based on maps stored on a cloud server where the routes are being calculated. Those maps should be updated more frequently, though we have no way to determine that.
  • The onboard navigation software uses a 3rd set of maps for performing offline routing calculations, and likely to display the map on the S/X dashboard of the route ahead. Again, we have no way to determine what version of the map data is present.
Tesla really should change how they are distributing onboard map updates. The process they are using is a throwback to the older car navigation systems that distributed updates roughly once each year via optical disk.

Tesla vehicles are continuously online - many with higher speed WiFi connections overnight.

Only a small amount of the map data is ever used by the onboard software - we only need the onboard map data for the area within driving distance for the vehicle (300 miles?) - the rest of the data just takes up bandwidth and storage space - and never touched.

Instead of pushing out the entire map database to every vehicle, what would make much more sense is to send out map fragments only for the area within driving distance, and then download the small amount of map data needed when the vehicle is doing a route that goes outside of that area.

If Tesla did that, the cost of updating the onboard map data would go down considerably (likely by 95%), making it possible to do more frequent map updates to all vehicles...

Is there a consensus or first hand knowledge about the navigation using Open Street Maps (OSM)? In particular, is the navigation software using the maxspeed info in OSM? I updated some streets around my neighborhood yesterday that had wrong or missing speed limit information. The updates have not shown up in the Tesla Navigation yet, although I don't expect them to update that quickly.