Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to upgrade to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If upgrade toHW3. It will automatically upgrade to MCU2 ? Since upgrade to HW3 should be free, so I don’t need to pay $2500 to upgrade MCU2?

No, the MCU2 upgrade is independent of the AP3 upgrade. Since you already pre-paid for FSD, you will get AP3 computer for 'free'.

MCU1 supports AP3 so you do not need to upgrade your MCU. There a multiple threads (in addition to the URL posted upthread) that detail what additional functionality you get with MCU2. If you choose to upgrade, the cost is $2,500.

Also, if you are interested, read through the FSD blog posted by Tesla --> Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

No, the MCU2 upgrade is independent of the AP3 upgrade. Since you already pre-paid for FSD, you will get AP3 computer for 'free'.

MCU1 supports AP3 so you do not need to upgrade your MCU. There a multiple threads (in addition to the URL posted upthread) that detail what additional functionality you get with MCU2. If you choose to upgrade, the cost is $2,500.

Also, if you are interested, read through the FSD blog posted by Tesla --> Full Self-Driving Computer Installations
Thank you

While I thought it would be ideal to do both HW3 and MCU2 upgrade at the same time, that is not how it has played out for me. I got the FSD computer installed a few weeks ago. Waiting for parts to come in for the MCU2 upgrade. Several others have reported the same situation.

Well, that's understandable. Parts availability for the MCU2 I would guess impedes doing both. Getting both done at the same time is certainly convenient. I am glad that I was able to do both. I see reports of some people getting AP3 engine, but not interested/not installing MCU2. I hope it works for them, but others are reporting they don't maximize the same features such as visualizations with only MCU1.

The upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 for me was worth more than just visualizations, more than just AP3 too. Don't get me wrong. AP3/FSD is going to be fun. But staving off the issues of an eventual failing of an eMMC, even under warranty, doubling or tripling of the time before a MCU2 eMMC would fail is singly, to me as valuable as AP3 or FSD. The performance of the new eMMC is great. My '17 S behaves like a new car. I am very pleased with it.

Then besides those things already mentioned, there's Sentry and Teslacam and Tesla Theater. I already had two dashcams, so I was not dependent on Teslacam. But you can't have too much security so its a nice addition. Nice addition in a different way than my own dashcams so Teslacam and Sentry were a help.

Reactions: Bigriver