Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use fog lights?

haroldo

Apr 20, 2021
NJ
I've never had fog lights on a car.
If they're turned on in the control panel, do they go on with the automatic lights (both go on or off based on lighting conditions)? Do the car cameras sense fog an turn on and off as needed?

I'm not sure how they're supposed to work. I always thought you turned off your headlights and drove with fog lights only (since the headlights bounce back off the fog)

How do they work?

outdoors

Always roaming
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
in the moment
No fog sensing yet. They work via a button on screen. They do not come on automatically, but are user profile set. Meaning they stay with you in the selection you placed in the car as key card holder. So turning them on or off will remain that way until you change it.

Some people like driving with them on all the time, and some people think it is a sin to do such a thing unless fog is present.

The idea behind fog lights is that the bright light isn't shining right into the fog and basically making a wall of bright fog in your face. So fog lights are placed lower. I always thought of them as yellow from older times. Yeah I don't see those much often any longer.

Hope you're enjoying your car.

Reactions: X-pilot

haroldo

Apr 20, 2021
NJ
So turning them on or off will remain that way until you change it.

Loving it (actually it's a love/hate relationship...random highway braking, etc.)
So, once I turn it on in control panel, every time the headlights come on, the fog lights illuminate.
But to the point of fog lights...shouldn't they be used in place of, not in addition to, headlights?
Is there any way to use fog lights only?

Part of the love hate relationship is the unintuitive, and confusing, controls, etc. The car seems to be a combination of the best of iOS 15 and the worst of Windows 98

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer

outdoors

Always roaming
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
in the moment
If you read the article that I attached. Not sure fog lights are supposed to be used in the way you would like. Some states it is not legal.

You can however drive with your lights off and your front fog lights on. You would just have to reset your exterior lights to off at the beginning of each drive

RTPEV

Mar 21, 2016
Durham, NC
Fog lights can certainly be used in conjunction with LOW beams (you wouldn't use HIGH beams in fog--that is what will create a blinding wall of white). The fog lights should be focused down and towards the left and right lane markings to help you stay in the lane. You could also use them without the low beams, but if the fog is so dense that even low beams are causing a visibility problem, then that may be a sign that it's becoming too dangerous to drive at all and extreme caution should be used as you may not be able to see obstacles in front of you at all.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
No fog sensing yet. They work via a button on screen. They do not come on automatically, but are user profile set. Meaning they stay with you in the selection you placed in the car as key card holder. So turning them on or off will remain that way until you change it.

Some people like driving with them on all the time, and some people think it is a sin to do such a thing unless fog is present.

The idea behind fog lights is that the bright light isn't shining right into the fog and basically making a wall of bright fog in your face. So fog lights are placed lower. I always thought of them as yellow from older times. Yeah I don't see those much often any longer.

Mine are yellow.
IMG_9756.jpeg

I think poorly aligned foglights shouldn't be on, all the time, otherwise, it doesn't matter to me. I keep mine on, because I drive backroads to get home and there are deer about, so I need all the light low and to the sides I can get.

Reactions: outdoors

pedantic

May 14, 2021
Austin, TX
some people think it is a sin to do such a thing unless fog is present.

This is me. I think the people who do it because they think they make their car look "cool". I've even heard someone give an excuse that a car manufacture wouldn't have them if they weren't meant to use all the time.

Driving around with your fog lights on all the time is like the person who drives around shining their high beams everywhere. They're great when you need them, but fog lights were meant for fog. Otherwise they'd come automatically when your low-beams come on. (And yes, people have modded their cars to do just that 🤦‍♂️.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
In truth visibility is almost never bad enough to require the use of Fog lights. If the visibility is really that bad you should park your car before you hit something!

I use mine all the time and here is why. Go out in the dark and look at the road in front of the car when you turn them on and off. You will note you can see the road much better immediately in front of the car, and usually to the side, when they are on. Fog lights are especially beneficial - in many cars - when making turns or when driving on less than ideal roads. At highway speeds they serve no value and could be turned off, but why bother?

Each to his own!

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
If they're turned on in the control panel, do they go on with the automatic lights (both go on or off based on lighting conditions)? Do the car cameras sense fog an turn on and off as needed?

I'm not sure how they're supposed to work. I always thought you turned off your headlights and drove with fog lights only (since the headlights bounce back off the fog)

How do they work?

it's funny to read all the uneducated american responses - not trying to be offensive here but you guys got no clue. haha

just gonna copy and paste and old post of mine....

The fog lights are traditionally used INSTEAD of the headlights in dense fog. Such fog is commonish in europe but not really in america, i suspect that is the reason why in america foglights were never really a thing (and not really needed either). it's actually kinda interesting that many cars in the usa come with front fogslights nowadays which just... are not required in the usa but i.e. rear foglights could be very very useful in heavy rain which you guys do have. I guess too many idiots would drive with it on all the time and it would obscure your obscured brakelights even further. Using the front foglight together with the dipped beams makes no sense.

If you have dense fog and you use your headlights you get a reflection which is blinding back. In that case you switch the headlights off and instead switch the front foglights on. those are mounted lower in the car and are meant to undercut the fog while at the same time spreading the light more sideways so you get some good light with the fog reflecting it back from the front (but not in your face as its mounted lower) and distance isnt too much of an issue as you can only see a few meters anyway. You then pair this with your partner car in front of you switching his rear foglight on so you can trail him and he can also see you by looking at your lower foglights.

The problem is now if you just put the front foglights on for looks while its dry its probably not too bad. however, due to the low mounting point if you put them on in light rain or while you drive through puddles you can get glare momentarily dazzeling oncoming traffic. that can actually be kind of a big issue when you have this drizziling rain we get in europe all the time. They also illuminate too much sidewards which can cause glare onto oncoming traffic from roadside reflections. For this reason fog lights stay off when you dont need them. Some cars have the DRLs integrated into the foglight. usually they are in low power mode when not used in foglight mode which means they arent bright enough to cause glare.

A rear fog light is just too bright. Some idiots in Australia here like to drive around with them on and it makes it a) really hard to identify the brake lights and b) its really hard to take your eyes off the rear foglight when its used in good conditions. your eyes just get magically sucked to this light to the point where its hard to pay attention to other stuff in traffic. For this reason it stays off until visibility drops low enough that this isnt an issue. It can also be useful to put it on in heavy rain where the intensity isnt too much of an issue. I usually put mine on when we get a monsoon shower here where you can only see few meters in front of your car.

Last edited:

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
In truth visibility is almost never bad enough to require the use of Fog lights. If the visibility is really that bad you should park your car before you hit something!

I use mine all the time and here is why. Go out in the dark and look at the road in front of the car when you turn them on and off. You will note you can see the road much better immediately in front of the car, and usually to the side, when they are on. Fog lights are especially beneficial - in many cars - when making turns or when driving on less than ideal roads. At highway speeds they serve no value and could be turned off, but why bother?

Each to his own!

you are a road hazard if you use your foglights all the time. You can also see the road to the side much better by fitting a spotlight illuminating both sides and turning night into day. But we dont do that because we are highly selective about the part of the road we illuminate. My bloody tiny bicycle light has 2000 lumens. Dont you think Tesla could give you a headlight which illuminate everything perfectly? yes they could, but they dont. Because you dazzle other road users if you do.

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
you are a road hazard if you use your foglights all the time. You can also see the road to the side much better by fitting a spotlight illuminating both sides and turning night into day. But we dont do that because we are highly selective about the part of the road we illuminate. My bloody tiny bicycle light has 2000 lumens. Dont you think Tesla could give you a headlight which illuminate everything perfectly? yes they could, but they dont. Because you dazzle other road users if you do.

LOL you are funny. Fog lights in the U.S. are nothing like you described. They are more for style than effect. Example, we cannot turn them on unless the low beams are on and we do not have rear fog lights.

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
LOL you are funny. Fog lights in the U.S. are nothing like you described. They are more for style than effect. Example, we cannot turn them on unless the low beams are on and we do not have rear fog lights.

they are exactly like what i describe. whether you like it or not. they are not for decoration. otherwise theyd be called decorative lights.
Which your car already has (signature lights).

Last edited by a moderator:

haroldo

Apr 20, 2021
NJ
I don't need a debate on the need for fog lights, etc.
I’m only interested in learning how to use fog lights (see first post)

How do they work?
I tried this morning to turn off lights, and selected fog lights. Nothing happened. When lights were on auto, I could toggle fog lights on and off, but that seems counter intuitive, as I believe fog lights are instead of, not in addition to main lights.
Is it possible to use fog lights only, if so, how.

not trying to be offensive here but you guys got no clue
Not trying? You absolutely tried and succeeded!
I get it, no need to keep repeating…Americans are bunch of idiots that don’t know how to drive, and Australians are superior drivers.

Last edited:

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
I don't need a debate on the need for fog lights, etc.
I’m only interested in learning how to use fog lights (see first post)

I tried this morning to turn off lights, and selected fog lights. Nothing happened. When lights were on auto, I could toggle fog lights on and off, but that seems counter intuitive, as I believe fog lights are instead of, not in addition to main lights.
Is it possible to use fog lights only, if so, how.

Not trying? You absolutely tried and succeeded!
I get it, no need to keep repeating…Americans are bunch of idiots that don’t know how to drive, and Australians are superior drivers.

Australians are just as bad if not worse in many ways. I am clearly not Australian.
Anyway you wanted an explanation on how to use fog lights and I gave it to you.

devilbones

Jun 8, 2021
Hawaii
Australians are just as bad if not worse in many ways. I am clearly not Australian.
Anyway you wanted an explanation on how to use fog lights and I gave it to you.
Can you send a picture of what your car looks like with the low beams off and the fog lights on? I think this would look really cool.

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
Can you send a picture of what your car looks like with the low beams off and the fog lights on? I think this would look really cool.

its hard because you can only turn the foglights on while driving and there is no button to turn the signature and daytime running lights off and they are too intense for a camera (there is only one to turn all lights off).

You can turn the foglights on while stationary but you cannot be sitting in the drivers seat. So if you want to see what it looks like you have to sort of bend inside the car while standing outside. Then you can proceed to changing the lights to DRL/Signature mode only (parking lights button to the left of the dipped beams). Then the dipped beams will stay off and fog lights + DRL and signature light is on only.

The top picture has the headlights turned on but there is too much reflection from the signature and DRL lights in the 2nd picture.

Might be better to take a picture in the daytime...

I find it interesting that the foglights seem to be yellow in America. Makes me wonder that they are just cosmetic? Yellow does cause less glare so given that a lot of people in the USA just drive with them on all the time for "the looks" they may be designed in that way to not dazzle other drivers?

edit:
Oh I see your other posts on struggeling to turn on the foglights.
Foglights can only be turned on while driving and the dipped beams dont automatically turn off when foglights turn on. This is optional but you may want to turn the dipped beams off if driving in dense fog as it makes hard seeing through the fog with too many reflections coming back... In lighter fog if the dipped beams dont cause any reflections you can turn both on for increased side illumination and spread from the lower lights and increased intensity piercing through the fog. But modern lights are so good that there isnt much reason to use the front fogs unless you get light reflections which cause trouble concentrating in dense fog (think of driving through fog for like 30min to 1 hour)

Attachments

• asasasasdasd.jpg
    asasasasdasd.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
Mine are yellow
Did you make them yellow or is that standard issue? If so, how? I would prefer Amber but I believe that is not legal in some states.
Such fog is commonish in europe but not really in america
America is a big place. Here in coastal maine we affectionately call our neighborhood Fog Hill for good reason.

we do not have rear fog lights
My 2016 Model X P90D has a rear fog light which is activated by a screen button and resets to off with any light status change.
Also on this car the front fog lights may remain set to on but only light when low beams are on which makes them useless In dense fog.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
Did you make them yellow or is that standard issue? If so, how? I would prefer Amber but I believe that is not legal in some states.

America is a big place. Here in coastal maine we affectionately call our neighborhood Fog Hill for good reason.

My 2016 Model X P90D has a rear fog light which is activated by a screen button and resets to off with any light status change.
Also on this car the front fog lights may remain set to on but only light when low beams are on which makes them useless In dense fog.
Purchased a yellow film from Lamin-X.com.

Reactions: Gwgan

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC