TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to use jack stands?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by BlueWRXPride, Jun 8, 2018.

1. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

If I'm ever working on a car, like doing a brake job or whatever, I jack the car up with a floor jack, and then put it on jackstands so it is safe. With the M3, there are just 4 specific jack points. So if I use a jackpoint to raise up one corner of the car, how can I then transfer that point to a jackstand? Is there some part of the suspension I could use to put a jack stand under when I remove the floor jack to raise the other side?

2. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't seems to design their cars for this. (This is true of the X and S, as well.)

Here's one solution:

Jackpoint Jackstands

Or get a lift:

QuickJack For Residential Use - Home Car Lift

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. 355rockit

355rockit Member

Or get Rennstand

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

+1 those are awesome!

5. sreams

sreams Member

If you jack up the right rear of the car, the right front comes up as well. You can then put a jack stand there. Just did this to bleed brakes on my 3.

• Informative x 4
  6. T5Quad

T5Quad Member

Does that mean we can get by with just one jack and one stand for rotating tires?

7. gecko10x

gecko10x Member

I think I'll have to try this before buying anything else. I'd prefer not to have two floor jacks; one takes up enough space.

8. Oyster Bait

Oyster Bait Member

The structure isn't infinitely rigid. Lifting at a single point runs the risk of twisting the body which might break the rear window. On this thread, post 67, on the Model 3 Owners Club Forum, a member speaks of a service center without a lift that does service using four jacks simultaneously manned because of this risk.

9. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

There's a service center that has no lift???