Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use jack stands?

BlueWRXPride

Oct 24, 2017
Syracuse
If I'm ever working on a car, like doing a brake job or whatever, I jack the car up with a floor jack, and then put it on jackstands so it is safe. With the M3, there are just 4 specific jack points. So if I use a jackpoint to raise up one corner of the car, how can I then transfer that point to a jackstand? Is there some part of the suspension I could use to put a jack stand under when I remove the floor jack to raise the other side?

markb1

Feb 17, 2012
San Diego, CA
If I'm ever working on a car, like doing a brake job or whatever, I jack the car up with a floor jack, and then put it on jackstands so it is safe. With the M3, there are just 4 specific jack points. So if I use a jackpoint to raise up one corner of the car, how can I then transfer that point to a jackstand? Is there some part of the suspension I could use to put a jack stand under when I remove the floor jack to raise the other side?

Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't seems to design their cars for this. (This is true of the X and S, as well.)

Here's one solution:

Jackpoint Jackstands

Or get a lift:

QuickJack For Residential Use - Home Car Lift

gecko10x

Jan 22, 2018
WV
I think I'll have to try this before buying anything else. I'd prefer not to have two floor jacks; one takes up enough space.

Oyster Bait

Apr 5, 2016
Cocoa Beach, FL
The structure isn't infinitely rigid. Lifting at a single point runs the risk of twisting the body which might break the rear window. On this thread, post 67, on the Model 3 Owners Club Forum, a member speaks of a service center without a lift that does service using four jacks simultaneously manned because of this risk.

Dan203

Jul 10, 2019
Northern Nevada

What do you plan to do to the Tesla? Because of regen Tesla brakes typically last 100k+ miles. Unless you plan to keep the car past that you shouldn’t ever have to do anything to the car beyond refilling the wiper fluid and rotating/replacing the tires.

A lift or special jacks seem like a waste of money.

Dolemite

is my name
Sep 19, 2019
Seattle, WA
Yes. Read the previous posts.
1bks4v.jpg

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC