Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use my M3 as a stereo sound system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was working in my garage today. So I figured I would play some podcasts from my iPhone on my M3 while I worked.

I set it up, got it playing, turned up the volume, opened the windows
..... all good so far

... and then exited the car - the player stopped

I had to leave the drive door open for it to continue playing (and even then it would shut off after about an hour).

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get the sound system to continue playing while the car is unlocked, windows, open, and doors closed?

I thought camping mode might help (and maybe it would), but I did not want to be wasting battery running the climate system which I did not need.

You can try camp mode in the HVAC settings and turn the fan speed to 1 and set the temp to something that might not trigger the AC to run. I know at some point (like after 10 minutes) the screen shows an animated picture of a camp with a fire, so not sure if that takes over the audio or not. I would kind of suck to camp in your car an not be able to play the radio while you are sleeping.

If this works, it would be amusing
It could work. During a cross country trip with the family we'd pull up something on Netflix or YouTube while charging. If I needed to run inside it would often shut off once I exited the car. So I started having my son jump in the driver's seat when I'd get out. He weighed about 60lbs at the time but it kept the entertainment system activated.

Reactions: Tron 3
I have found the audio to continue to work with the doors closed if I leave my phone in the car. Since I use phone-as-key it thinks I'm in the car and will not shut down/sleep.

Maybe leave the driver door cracked and turn off the dome lights? (with key card on the console)

I was working in my garage today. So I figured I would play some podcasts from my iPhone on my M3 while I worked.

..... all good so far

I had to leave the drive door open for it to continue playing (and even then it would shut off after about an hour).

Am I missing something? Is there a way to get the sound system to continue playing while the car is unlocked, windows, open, and doors closed?

I thought camping mode might help (and maybe it would), but I did not want to be wasting battery running the climate system which I did not need.
Thank for posting this, I had the same question as I added accessories to my M3 while in the garage. I was just leaving the door ajar. I swear I tried the "leave the phone in the car" trick, but it still shut off the radio.

..... all good so far

I did the same while doing a chrome delete and calipers. I just rolled the windows down and apply slight pressure to the seat once every ~30 min.

• Informative
its a standard way to test cars that have an occupant sensor.

it looks funny, but its quite standard to put 'barbell' weights (etc) in driver and passenger seat.

when low tech works, use it ;)

This is not necessary. Simply put your hand through the open window and press down on the driver seat until the sensor is triggered. It will not reset until the door is opened and closed again. I do this all the time when I want to sit in the passenger seat while charging.

• Informative