Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use NFC to open the Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this cool video on YouTube, posted by Wonk (not me) that shows how to setup a NFC tag for opening the frunk with your phone (yeah, yeah, yeah I know you can already open the frunk with your phone, but this method is very different). Comes in handy when opening the app and pressing the open frunk button might not be convenient. As you watch the video and see how these tags are setup and used it becomes apparent that there are many other function these tags can be configured for. Might be a fun little project while we are all on covid-19 lockdown!

I have NFC tag on mine too but don't use it that much. I use the voice command more. It can work while the phone is in my pocket if the phone can hear me. I say the command as I approach the car. I have a pixel 3a btw.

Example commands:
* Hey Google. Open the hood.
* Hey Google. Open charge port.

Google Assistant (Routines) -> AutoVoice -> Tasker -> Tasker plugin for Tesla

I have NFC tag on mine too but don't use it that much. I use the voice command more. It can work while the phone is in my pocket if the phone can hear me. I say the command as I approach the car. I have a pixel 3a btw.

Example commands:

Interesting. Might somehow implement that idea to my Android watch, that will make it even more easier.

Example commands:

Can you add some more details to these steps? I have Tasker and the Tesla plugin, just need to understand how to set it all up.

Reactions: vickh
Can you add some more details to these steps? I have Tasker and the Tesla plugin, just need to understand how to set it all up.
I just did this today. Pretty neat, I always had tasker since root/rom days on xda but havent root a phone in a long time.
You will also need auto voice as well. I did open charge port, open frunk, open trunk, auto start( ac/heat on), lock car/unlock car.

In tasker you set event , plugin autovoice recognized , config , the hard way , speak filter then set to "open frunk" then link to tesla plugin task "open frunk"

To link them, you have to go into the google assistant and set up routine .
when i say "open frunk"
the assistant will " talk to auto voice open frunk"

You can replace whatever is in " " with what you want to do. hope this helps

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+
I just did this today. Pretty neat, I always had tasker since root/rom days on xda but havent root a phone in a long time.
You will also need auto voice as well. I did open charge port, open frunk, open trunk, auto start( ac/heat on), lock car/unlock car.

In tasker you set event , plugin autovoice recognized , config , the hard way , speak filter then set to "open frunk" then link to tesla plugin task "open frunk"

To link them, you have to go into the google assistant and set up routine .
when i say "open frunk"
the assistant will " talk to auto voice open frunk"

You can replace whatever is in " " with what you want to do. hope this helps
Thanks, I've been watching YouTube videos on this all day! I think I have all the individual pieces installed but just can seem to get the voice command to work! I have Tasker, Tesla Plugin for Tasker and AutoVoice all installed. I have the open frunk task created in Tasker and that works on its own. I have a profile created for AutoVoice Recognize and did the hard way setup using "open hood" and that is connected to the open frunk task. I have a custom routine added to Google Assistant for "When I say 'open hood' Assistant will 'ask auto voice to open hood.' I also tried 'talk to auto voice open hood' and still cannot get it work with the voice command. I feel like I'm missing something simple! So frustrating!

When I say "OK Google, open hood" I hear AutoVoice say "command sent, open hood," but the hood doesn't open.

Thanks, I've been watching YouTube videos on this all day! I think I have all the individual pieces installed but just can seem to get the voice command to work! I have Tasker, Tesla Plugin for Tasker and AutoVoice all installed. I have the open frunk task created in Tasker and that works on its own. I have a profile created for AutoVoice Recognize and did the hard way setup using "open hood" and that is connected to the open frunk task. I have a custom routine added to Google Assistant for "When I say 'open hood' Assistant will 'ask auto voice to open hood.' I also tried 'talk to auto voice open hood' and still cannot get it work with the voice command. I feel like I'm missing something simple! So frustrating!

When I say "OK Google, open hood" I hear AutoVoice say "command sent, open hood," but the hood doesn't open.
you need to link auto voice and google assistant. also need to pay for autovoice or watch the ad/video it will work after.

you need to link auto voice and google assistant. also need to pay for autovoice or watch the ad/video it will work after.
Yep, after paying for AutoVoice it is now working! Crazy that it lets you go though all the setup but then prevents it form working! Oh well, it was only $2 so well worth the functionality! Now I will do all the others that you have done as well. Can't wait to show this off, once this whole covid-19 pandemic stuff is over!

Reactions: vletnguyen
@vletnguyen I just tried issueing the voice command from one of my Google mini devices and it didn't work. Are these voice commands limited to the device that has all the different SW components loaded on it?
You have to add devices in autovoice ? I havent tried this yet.

I watched the ad in autovoice, haha. Wanted to try before I commit. I think I might use some of my google rewards money to help the dev.

Reactions: TX_M3P+