Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use sentry/camera recording? Almost hit deer this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife almost hit a deer this morning that jumped out in front of our new Model Y. The automatic braking did not engage. I thought maybe this would be recorded on forward cameras? Or do i have to have a usb drive connected? I thought manual said new model y's have some storage included already but I don't see this.

Regarding usb drive, i read in the manual that on newer model Y's the usb drive should be connected in the glovebox, not the console. However i do i not see any usb ports in the glovebox. I only found 2 usb C ports in the center console. So where exactly am i supposed to connect a usb drive if the manual says not to use the center console ports for this?

Regarding usage, will the car always record for some amount of time? How would i use it to check video when the deer jumped out in front of the car? Do you have to press some button or activate it somehow to save the record?

Sorry for the zillion questions. I'm coming from a camera/sensorless 2013 P85 to a November 2022 build Model Y LR and i have no idea how to use all these new features yet lol

My wife almost hit a deer this morning that jumped out in front of our new Model Y. The automatic braking did not engage. I thought maybe this would be recorded on forward cameras? Or do i have to have a usb drive connected? I thought manual said new model y's have some storage included already but I don't see this.

Regarding usb drive, i read in the manual that on newer model Y's the usb drive should be connected in the glovebox, not the console. However i do i not see any usb ports in the glovebox. I only found 2 usb C ports in the center console. So where exactly am i supposed to connect a usb drive if the manual says not to use the center console ports for this?

Regarding usage, will the car always record for some amount of time? How would i use it to check video when the deer jumped out in front of the car? Do you have to press some button or activate it somehow to save the record?

Sorry for the zillion questions. I'm coming from a camera/sensorless 2013 P85 to a November 2022 build Model Y LR and i have no idea how to use all these new features yet lol
Look again in your glove box. Use a flashlight if necessary.

...do i have to have a usb drive connected?
Yes, the video is recorded to the external flash drive connected to the USB port in your glove compartment.
...i do i not see any usb ports in the glovebox...
Look again or book a service appointment to install one.
..I only found 2 usb C ports in the center console.
No good. They are for charging, not data-capable (they used to be until Tesla took the data-capable away since now it's in the glove box USB port).
Regarding usage, will the car always record for some amount of time?
It keeps about 1 hour's worth of small segments. You might be able to get what you wanted within that period.

How would i use it to check video when the deer jumped out in front of the car?
When in Park gear, you can push the camera icon to view the past recordings. Or you can view the flash drive in a computer.
Do you have to press some button or activate it somehow to save the record?
The correct way to record an event is to either push on the camera icon or honk your horn (that needs to be enabled on the menu too). If you do this, it will be saved in the flash drive because the 1-hour folder is continuously overwritten.

thanks. yea I missed the usb in the glovebox. It already had a 128GB stick in it that came with the car. blended in, I thought it was part of the glovebox hardware initially and couldn't tell it was a usb stick until I pulled it out. thanks all for the help :)

With Update Version 2022.44.30.10, Tesla FINALLY got USB Music Memory to work. I use a partitioned 128GB USB-A chip named "TeslaCam" and "TeslaMusic" plugged it into the center console. I loaded the music folder from my PC's iTunes Music folder. Each folder contains an album.

Tesla's menu (3 dots at center of bottom menu bar) allows selection of the "USB" Icon as a source. Selecting USB showed two partitions with one indicating the number of songs. Select that "USB music" and the music player is displayed. Its options include: Song, Artist, Album, or Genre. Aside from "Song", other selections will play all songs in that group. Select "Random" play and select song to start playback.

A software update now shrinks that large music menu into a mini-player at bottom left of the dash screen. But the car would not "remember" what song was being played if car was parked for longer period of time. When entering the car, that mini-player simply was stuck in a circular loop. However, if one "slides down" on the mini-player while active, it disappears and a "Music Note" symbol appears on the bottom menu bar shown in the RED circle of the dash screen below. Pressing that symbol resumes USB music from where it left off.

Note that to the right of the Note, circled in GREEN, is the USB symbol that you can drag to the bottom bar. Press this to start a new selection of artist, album or genre.

Tesla music2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT