TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to use the Energy Consumption for range projection

Discussion in 'Video' started by efusco, Apr 7, 2013.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

#1 efusco, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    With a nod to Broder.

2. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Well done, Ev.
    And exactly who is holding the camera and whose LEFT hand is reaching to the touch screen at 65mph...?...demonstrates a level of skill which I may not try to match. :biggrin:

3. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Last words are spot on. Nice tutorial.

4. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Just to clarify, there is currently no way to display the projected range (from the energy app) front and center in the speedometer where you had the rated range displayed? I find the projected range slightly more accurate than rated since it incorporates data from your past usage in its estimate.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Correct, and agree.

6. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Ditto the preference for the 30-mile projected range being displayed. On other hand the energy mini-app that can be displayed next to the speedo shows trend and rated, so you can make good enough estimates based off that.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Agreed, although I'd like the 30 mile to be 45 mile, or better yet user adjustable.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Well I can estimate pretty good from "1/4 tank" also, but that doesn't make it a good experience.

The point is that they had a great feature -- a range that was reasonably accurate for me when my driving habits for the trip are fairly consistent. And they took it away. It remains a step backwards. One of the few in Model S firmware's short update history.

9. 3lectronica

3lectronica Member

Great video. Simple explanation:

Battery Capacity / Avg wh-mile figure over 30 miles

example 1 - 85,000 watts / 307wh-mile average = 276.87 miles
    example 2 - 60,000 watts / 369wh-mile average = 162.60 miles
    etc.

10. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

True, but I'd prefer to use that screen for something else.

11. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I wish Tesla would release an API, because there is a crying need for a comprehensive, real-time, trip planner/monitor app. Something that would allow me to plan a trip on my tablet or home computer and download it to the car, and then let me know how I'm doing as I drive, taking into account route and terrain and weather (forecast winds, temps, precip) and giving me a running estimate of how much energy I'm using and whether I'll make it to my destination with my desired reserves.

Almost as useful would be an iOS/Android app that interrogates the S for battery state and instantaneous draw, and does the same things. I believe the capability already exists (didn't the folks who re-created Broder's infamous drive have real-time monitoring cobbled together by a TMC member?). Has anyone announced an intention of creating something like this?

Sorry to hijack the thread; mods feel free to move this to another thread as appropriate.