Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use the Energy Consumption for range projection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to clarify, there is currently no way to display the projected range (from the energy app) front and center in the speedometer where you had the rated range displayed? I find the projected range slightly more accurate than rated since it incorporates data from your past usage in its estimate.

Just to clarify, there is currently no way to display the projected range (from the energy app) front and center in the speedometer where you had the rated range displayed? I find the projected range slightly more accurate than rated since it incorporates data from your past usage in its estimate.
Correct, and agree.

Ditto the preference for the 30-mile projected range being displayed. On other hand the energy mini-app that can be displayed next to the speedo shows trend and rated, so you can make good enough estimates based off that.

Agreed, although I'd like the 30 mile to be 45 mile, or better yet user adjustable.

Ditto the preference for the 30-mile projected range being displayed. On other hand the energy mini-app that can be displayed next to the speedo shows trend and rated, so you can make good enough estimates based off that.
Well I can estimate pretty good from "1/4 tank" also, but that doesn't make it a good experience.

The point is that they had a great feature -- a range that was reasonably accurate for me when my driving habits for the trip are fairly consistent. And they took it away. It remains a step backwards. One of the few in Model S firmware's short update history.

Great video. Simple explanation:

Battery Capacity / Avg wh-mile figure over 30 miles

example 1 - 85,000 watts / 307wh-mile average = 276.87 miles
example 2 - 60,000 watts / 369wh-mile average = 162.60 miles
etc.

I wish Tesla would release an API, because there is a crying need for a comprehensive, real-time, trip planner/monitor app. Something that would allow me to plan a trip on my tablet or home computer and download it to the car, and then let me know how I'm doing as I drive, taking into account route and terrain and weather (forecast winds, temps, precip) and giving me a running estimate of how much energy I'm using and whether I'll make it to my destination with my desired reserves.

Almost as useful would be an iOS/Android app that interrogates the S for battery state and instantaneous draw, and does the same things. I believe the capability already exists (didn't the folks who re-created Broder's infamous drive have real-time monitoring cobbled together by a TMC member?). Has anyone announced an intention of creating something like this?

Sorry to hijack the thread; mods feel free to move this to another thread as appropriate.