TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How to use the touch up paint pen

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Stimyg, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

Can anyone point me to good instructions on how to use the touch up paint pens? I have a small nick (from raising the trunk door into a pipe). I tried the pen on it today, immediately botched the job, quickly wiped it off with a paint thinner then quickly washed that away. Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing.

Any help?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I agree with you. I don't like this style of touchup pen. It makes it very difficult to lay paint on with any depth. I like the style with the metal push tip better. I had a very hard time getting enough paint on the felt tip to be effective.

3. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

+1.When I do it, it looks like what it is. A drop of paint.

4. JPP

JPP Active Member

..and I can't even buy a multi-coat red pen.

5. The Fury

The Fury Member

Yes. I am also looking for firm directions if there are any. Thanks

6. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Someone told me to use the end of a match to feather paint on, NOT the actually pen which is horrible!

7. eAdopter

eAdopter Member

I've done a lot of paint touch-up and can offer a few tips.
    1. Make sure the area is clean. Paint mixed with dirt -> not good.
    2. Magnify!!! Find a powerful magnifying glass/lens. I use one with an integrated light to eliminate shadows.
    3. Dab, don't brush. If you think a brush stroke is needed then you applied too much paint...
    4. Use as little paint as possible! Three or four thin coats are much better than one thick coat.
    5. If the scratch is very narrow, purchase a micro-bristle brush at hobby or paint stores. They're not cheap but worth every cent.
    6. Breath. Don't hold your breath while painting. It can cause your hand to shake and reduce eye/hand coordination.
    7. Paint a small portion of the scratch, step back to relax, then come back as needed to continue. Baby steps.

After the paint dries for several days, come back with some very(!) light-duty rubbing compound to knock down roughness. High grit sandpaper (4000) also works but I don't suggest this unless you have plenty of experience. If using sandpaper, mask the area first to prevent further issues.

Finish with a hard, high quality, high shine polish or wax.

• Like x 1
  8. The Fury

The Fury Member

Thanks!!!!