Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use the turn signals well?

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
So the turn signals on the Model 3 make no sense. You have a half stroke for a 2 second blink (what for?) and full stroke for on (but no auto-off after turning).

Then to turn off it is another half stroke, but often I end up flipping the signal to the other direction, or in another case turning it back on, leaving it on, etc.

I want to rip the stalk off the car, but I realize that would not solve this problem. What is the solution to this, to be able to turn on/off without diverting all attention to the turn signal process? In my last car(s) the stalk stayed up and would pull back to neutral for off.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles

outdoors

Always roaming
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2014
in the moment
If you use auto lane change it turns off after lane change.

I have never heard of a car that turns off the blinker that is on a full stroke as you mention after a lane change. A hard right or left turn they do. So does the 3. Many times on cars you can hear a click when the sterring wheel spins back around.

Most cars or trucks I have had give you a warning after 15 seconds or so that you blinker is still on. Blinker remains on.

The short would be for a quick lane change or turn. I agree maybe a couple more blinks would be better on the short stroke.

DopeGhoti

Aug 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
The half-stroke as you call it blinks three times, presumably for a lane change. I prefer to blink four times or so, so I don't use it all that often.

Deflecting the turning signal control fully will turn the signal on until one of these things happen:
  • You fully deflect in the opposite direction, which will turn on that signal,
  • You half-deflect in any direction, which will cancel the signal, or
  • You turn the wheel more than about 1/3 of a turn in the indicated direction and back, which will cancel the signal
I've never had a problem with the signal not cancelling after a proper turn; if you are, you might want to schedule a service appointment.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
So the turn signals on the Model 3 make no sense. You have a half stroke for a 2 second blink (what for?) and full stroke for on (but no auto-off after turning).

Then to turn off it is another half stroke, but often I end up flipping the signal to the other direction, or in another case turning it back on, leaving it on, etc.

I want to rip the stalk off the car, but I realize that would not solve this problem. What is the solution to this, to be able to turn on/off without diverting all attention to the turn signal process? In my last car(s) the stalk stayed up and would pull back to neutral for off.
Every car has a half pull for a triple blink, for simple lane changes, because those don't turn the steering wheel far enough for an auto-return. Not understanding your full pull issue. The stalk doesn't auto-return after making a 90 degree turn? That's odd, take it to a SC.

DopeGhoti

Aug 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Every car has a half pull for a triple blink, for simple lane changes, because those don't turn the steering wheel far enough for an auto-return. Not understanding your full pull issue. The stalk doesn't auto-return after making a 90 degree turn? That's odd, take it to a SC.
Not every car has that. Most cars will at a "half-pull", blink for as long as you hold it there. In the M3 (both Tesla and Beemer), the actual stalk always does auto-center, which is why this style of turning signal control is confusing to those who are used to the more mechanical design (and don't deign to read the manual upon said confusion).

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US

The stalk returns immediately - it does not "stick" up. The blinker itself stays on until something is pressed. In any case, if the stalk does not stay up, it is difficult to disengage since there is no verification that it is off except listening carefully / looking at the screen.

Other cars do not have any "tripple blink" feature. It just happens to blink if you don't manage to click it.

Are you saying that the Tesla stalk on the Model 3 is meant to stick up also and drop automatically?

• Funny
Reactions: Jarvisd1015

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
Not every car has that. Most cars will at a "half-pull", blink for as long as you hold it there. In the M3 (both Tesla and Beemer), the actual stalk always does auto-center, which is why this style of turning signal control is confusing to those who are used to the more mechanical design (and don't deign to read the manual upon said confusion).

Yeah, that's what I thought (don't care about the "other cars" if they had that triple blink feature), but so how do deal with this style? I'm used to the physical feed back of center == off.

The fact that it is dumb is a separate issue. Probably they are doing this for auto-pilot sake. Its also "cheap" to make.

Reactions: beachmiles

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
It seems like a lot of you haven't driven many other cars. Everything that I've driven in a number of years, and I drive a lot of rentals, have the half down 2 blink feature. It's useful mostly for lane changes, but for any actions that don't result in enough steering wheel turn to cancel the signal.
If anything, the Tesla requires a little too much wheel turn to cancel a turn for me.

Sure, there are times when I try to turn off a signal by going too far the other way. It could use for a little interface tweaking.

Reactions: CMoZ and spazzwig

dsvick

Closed
Jun 10, 2016
NE Ohio
Yeah, that's what I thought (don't care about the "other cars" if they had that triple blink feature), but so how do deal with this style? I'm used to the physical feed back of center == off.
If it stops blinking automatically why does the physical location of the stalk matter? What physical feedback are you looking for? Do you check it to make sure the blinkers are off?

The fact that it is dumb is a separate issue. Probably they are doing this for auto-pilot sake. Its also "cheap" to make.
It's not dumb, it's just one way of doing it. Other manufacturers do it differently, no big deal. I don't think it is any cheaper to make than the other way, in fact it is probably more expensive.

outie

May 22, 2016
SoCal
I have no idea what you are talking about. If you want to change lane, do the half stroke and it'll blink 3 times, more than enough to make a lane change. If you want to make a turn, you do the full stroke and it WILL stop after you complete the turn. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with your car.

If the turn is not big enough to trigger auto stop, you can just tap it again in the same direction to turn if off, if you'd like, so you don't have to trigger the opposite direction.

This is same as many other cars today and Mercedes/BMW had this since forever.

jmaddr

Mar 29, 2019
Florida
The half-stroke as you call it blinks three times, presumably for a lane change. I prefer to blink four times or so, so I don't use it all that often.

On the TM3, you can hold the stalk at the half press position and it will keep blinking as long as you keep it there. It will stop immediately after release. If you want 4, you now have 4.

Reactions: doug313

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
The Model 3 turn signals operate the same as BMW ones for the last 10-12 years or so, so anyone who is used to those should be right at home. I didnt like the BMW ones when I first started using them about 14-15 years ago, but got used to them and now prefer them. Of course, thats because before my model 3P I was pretty darn loyal to BMW.

The operation on half pull has been covered in this thread (I think). If you push it all the way up to turn it on, you can half push it in the same direction to turn it off. This prevents half pulling it the opposite direction and false signaling the other way.

beachmiles

Jun 29, 2019
Redondo Beach
Loving the car but the the turn signals on my M3 plain suck.

For people that are not good about using the signal this prob is not as much of an issue, but I signal for every lane change which I tend to do Alot on the freeway.
When I first started driving I was completely frustrated with the half vs full blinker mode. I tried to cancel the blinker by pushing the other direction and it started blinking the other way. I could not turn the blasted things off.

Months later this is still infuriating at times because it takes me going back and forth sometimes 4 times to get the blinker to stop. People behind me prob think I'm insane.

I don't like the half mode where they flash 3 times automatically. shouIt's Is always too short or too long for me. I think it should flash only while held halfway and off once released.

I completely agree that the signal needs a more mechanical like switch operation where they turn on only while held in the halfway position and if you push further it physically latches in that position.

Reactions: Electro664

hugh_jassol

Jan 26, 2019
Los Angeles

To turn off, just push the opposite way (as though you were pushing it to "off". This is just way it works in "modern" cars. The blinkers used to be controlled by a physical switch in the stalk. Now the stalk merely sends a signal to the computer and the computer blinks the light.

Very few things are controlled entirely mechanically these days - "gas" pedals do not have a cable that goes to the engine, you can control the radio volume without the physical knob turning, etc.

And the half-press lane change is in the top 5 inventions of modern man. Perhaps you don't do much freeway driving? In my VW I could use a computer program and change the number of blinks a half-press would do, which would be neat to have for us as well.

Every car I've owned for the past 13 years has worked this way (VW, Chevy Volt, BMW 3-series)

ZOMGVTEK

May 19, 2015
'Merica
I signal just about everywhere. I find the turn signal stalk to work very well. If you’re doing a full pull for lane changes it won’t auto cancel. I’m not sure any car would since the wheel motion is so small. I use the half pull frequently and it works well enough for most lane changes. When I feel 3 blinks isn’t going to be enough, I press and hold the stalk halfway manually and then it stops when released. My main gripe with the operation is when I’m making an immediate left after a right hand turn. The stalk isn’t responsive for a second or so after it auto cancels and it won’t take my input for the left signal even if I hold it. I need to cancel it manually midway through the turn and then it will work normally. I believe the stalk will cancel if you press it halfway in the opposite direction. If you press it fully it probably reverses the signal and won’t ever cancel if you don’t turn.

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
Are you saying that the Tesla stalk on the Model 3 is meant to stick up also and drop automatically?

No, it returns to center as soon as you let go but the turn signal stays on. Unfortunately you have to either look or listen to tell if it's engaged, but it's not that bad since you have the half-press for doing lane changes so you rarely leave it on by accident.

Aellinsar

Aug 2, 2017
Ohio
Loving the car but the the turn signals on my M3 plain suck.

For people that are not good about using the signal this prob is not as much of an issue, but I signal for every lane change which I tend to do Alot on the freeway.
When I first started driving I was completely frustrated with the half vs full blinker mode. I tried to cancel the blinker by pushing the other direction and it started blinking the other way. I could not turn the blasted things off.

Ah, the old "I don't like it, so everyone that does like it must be stupid" argument.

As others in the thread have said, if you want to manually cancel the blinker without fear of it going the toher way, just push the stalk in the same direction again.

My previous car (2002 RSX) and my wifes car (2009 RDX) do not have the half-press for 3 blinks feature, but I've driven many rental cars that have the feature. The first rental car that I had is in was 5-6 years ago and it was weird to me (as most new things are) but I adjested pretty quickly - I find that I like being able to signal a lane change and not have to turn the signal back off afterwards.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC