Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to verify free Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
First off apologies if this is listed somewhere, I couldn't find it in a search.

I'm looking at purchasing a second Tesla, it'll be pre-owned and will likely be a private sale.
The two that I'm looking at are registered in February 2017 and March 2017.

One is with a private seller, and another is with an independent dealer.
Both are really far away from me (200+ miles).

They both claim to have free supercharging, but I want to verify if that supercharging will pass to the new owner.
Is there any way to do that using the VINs or age of the vehicle?
I called Tesla, and after sitting on hold for over 2 hours, they said they were not able to assist.

I appreciate any help and guidance on this one, thanks!

If you phone the tesla dealership the car was originally bought from with the last 6 digits of the vin, they are usually very helpful. Speak to the services department. They should verify the warranty as well. (There are some cars which may have had the warranty suspended)

Questions to ask the service centre....

Battery warranty term?
Motor warranty term?
General warranty?
Confirm mileage?
Recent repairs?
Is the car reporting any faults?

A less reliable way to check is for the seller to login to their web portal and provide a screen shot.

On a side note the 70 and 75 may have slower charge rates subject to how often they have been supercharged. Youtube vloger Bjorn has a good video on this.

A word of warning I recently bought a used Tesla from a third party dealer and I have no regrets. This was the only way it was affordable for me, for what I wanted. A particular dealer in Nottingham didnt have a clue about the car and attempted to sell me a none autopilot car as having autopilot.

Last edited:
Does not free supercharging only go to the original purchaser for 2017 cars? Most likely original purchaser has free supercharging, but that will not pass to new buyer
Free supercharging for life of the car theoretically ended for cars delivered after 31st March 2017. Mine was delivered in March 2017 and has free supercharging for the life of the car,
"You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner."

Free supercharging for life of the car theoretically ended for cars delivered after 31st March 2017. Mine was delivered in March 2017 and has free supercharging for the life of the car,
"You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will transfer to the next owner."

I’m trying to find where this is stated in the contract but cannot find it. All it says is “free unlimited supercharging” as part of the car spec. My car is a 2019 raven S. Specific code for the option is SC05.

Do you guys have the text quoted above as part of your contract?