Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to verify options on a used, non-CPO MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excited newbie here who can't wait to join the steaks owner community. I'm on a budget though, so I have to find a decent deal on a 2014. So I'm skimming eBay, auto trader, cars.com... etc.

Unless a private owner is posting the vehicle, rarely does the listing accurately state the options on a vehicle. If I have the VIN is there a website or another way to learn what options are on the car? I've tried searching the forums but have not found an answer.

Thank you all for your patience if this has been asked ad nauseam. I greatly appreciate all I have learned from the community so far. Thanks!

You are correct,
You will need to utilize a HPWC in order to take advantage of the dual chargers, The supercharger bypass the onboard charger and feed directly into the batteries.
You could ask to see the original sticker, or even have them show you on their "my tesla" web page.

Reactions: GQbed
I too am looking at a used 2014 85. If you call your local service center you can ask them questions about what options there are. Just give them the VIN number and ask, does it have the cold weather package, etcetera. They can answer questions, but they can't offer information directly. You might ask if it's been wrecked, has it's drive train been replaced, door handles, screen, things like that.

• Love
How good of a deal is it? Just for comparison is suggest getting on the phone with a CPO advisor and seeing what non-published cars are available.

If your entertaining pre-autopilot 2013 RWD S85 in excellent condition I'd consider sellling mine that comes with 3 yrs and 40k more CPO warranted miles and I can verify options for an attractive price.

Yah can be a bit of a pain. I used these two sites to get an idea of what will be "standard"

Model S Order & Delivery 2017

Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

Use the VIN to get an idea of the approximate manufacture date. Then use the list to know when different things were introduced. Like parking sensors ect....

As far as options, this might be more difficult, and the suggestion of the contacting Tesla seems good, if you have really narrowed it down.

Good Luck!

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Btr_ftw and GQbed
I was trying to find a used car in Houston and contacted several of the ads in autotrader, and to be honest dealing with the sales person was like putting a pencil in my eye repeatedly. They either didn't know what options they had, or flat out lied. They would say seats 7 but didnt have the rear seats, or full AP but it was turned off. I feel for anyone that has to go that route, but if you can do it and save money it may be worth it. Good luck!

• Funny
How good of a deal is it? Just for comparison is suggest getting on the phone with a CPO advisor and seeing what non-published cars are available.

If your entertaining pre-autopilot 2013 RWD S85 in excellent condition I'd consider sellling mine that comes with 3 yrs and 40k more CPO warranted miles and I can verify options for an attractive price.

From what I can tell, most are coming in around $5k less than CPO, but I'm still trying to gather enough information to really know that for sure. Not many new ones are posted regularly.

I'm focusing on a 2014 s85 RWD (ideally blue) bc I read on here the production issues persisted through 2013 and were corrected by the 2014 VINs. I'm stuck at $50k hard ceiling for the budget, so I'm thinking it will be a little while longer before vehicles with the options I want drop into my price range.

I do plan to start working the CPO reps in about a month.

I was trying to find a used car in Houston and contacted several of the ads in autotrader, and to be honest dealing with the sales person was like putting a pencil in my eye repeatedly. They either didn't know what options they had, or flat out lied.

Exactly what I expected, which is why I was hoping to find a way to independently verify what's on the car before even reaching out to them.

From what I can tell, most are coming in around $5k less than CPO, but I'm still trying to gather enough information to really know that for sure. Not many new ones are posted regularly.

I'm focusing on a 2014 s85 RWD (ideally blue) bc I read on here the production issues persisted through 2013 and were corrected by the 2014 VINs. I'm stuck at $50k hard ceiling for the budget, so I'm thinking it will be a little while longer before vehicles with the options I want drop into my price range.

I do plan to start working the CPO reps in about a month.
If you can provide the VIN, we could try looking it up with historical listings. You can search yourself here for free: Tesla Inventory Search

You do need to create a free account in order to view inactive/historical data.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I'm also looking to purchase a MS and have contacted/came across ads from private to local dealers and most of the dealers dont know squat! I have found this VIN decoder that I have been using to see what battery and charger the car has:

https://teslatap.com/vin-decoder/

The 7th digit will indicate what charger the car had installed at the factory, it really doesn't give what packages were installed, but I've been going back n forth between buying a used non CPO and buying a CPO that has the 4yr/50k mile warranty and I think if I'm investing this much money on such a hi-tech vehicle have the warranty will give me more peace of mind.....just my 0.02.

Thanks!

• Informative

I've also read about early 2013 issues but don't leave them completely off the list. My 2013 for example has had many retrofits/upgrades where the quality is on par or better than newer builds (hvac, pano roof, door handles, etc)

I had a similar budget during my search last year and ended up with my current car because I didn't want to wait longer. Keep in mind earlier builds have more features included than newer builds like power liftgate, fog lights, ambient lighting, extended leather, reinforced rear bumper to retro RFS.

If you end up with a CPO and are pre autopilot or dual motors, I'd consider expanding your search to include earlier models because anything that can break will be taken care of and you get a lower entry price point. I've had early and late 2014 loaners and my early 2013 was comparable or better quality and anything that wasn't up to par the service center made it so.

• Love
I think if I'm investing this much money on such a hi-tech vehicle have the warranty will give me more peace of mind.....just my 0.02.

Thanks!

Thank you for the tip. I'm leaning in the CPO direction as well since the $5k difference is basically the cost of the 4 yr ESA. BUT, still trying to evaluate all options to bring this in on budget. My wife is already not thrilled at the idea of a $50k car :(

I've also read about early 2013 issues but don't leave them completely off the list. My 2013 for example has had many retrofits/upgrades where the quality is on par or better than newer builds (hvac, pano roof, door handles, etc)

I may need to hire you to help me conduct the search. You're selling me pretty well on the 2013s. I wasn't aware of the extended leather and reinforced bumper enhancements. Looks like i have a lot more research to do. I'm still waiveribg over dual chargers and cold weather packages.

Reactions: JPUConn
I may need to hire you to help me conduct the search. You're selling me pretty well on the 2013s. I wasn't aware of the extended leather and reinforced bumper enhancements. Looks like i have a lot more research to do. I'm still waiveribg over dual chargers and cold weather packages.
Just an FYI, but the Subzero package didn't always include a heated steering wheel so you might want to keep an eye out for that if it is important to you.

Reactions: JPUConn and GQbed
Dual chargers are not visible in the menus though, correct? I believe everything else I can have them take pictures of.

You can. Ask to see the charging screen while nothing is plugged in, it should show 0/80A current. It defaults to 80A max with dual chargers.

You can pretty much verify any OEM option from the big screen if you know where to look. The problem is you'd need to be there in person or ask the seller to take specific screenshots.

Last edited: