Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to verify options on a used, non-CPO MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife is already not thrilled at the idea of a $50k car :(
Have you calculated gas savings yet? When I switched my wife from a mini-van to a Model S, it's been saving us almost $300 per month in gas (net, after subtracting electricity - she drives 2000/month). Also, if she has reservations about internal space, the Model S is almost the same size as a Toyota Sienna, just not as tall. We've hauled 10ft pipes in it, 100" table, a queen bed, etc - my wife's concerns about how much she can haul disappeared, and did I mention she now loves the Model S and would not give it up anymore? Be careful letting her drive it, you may end up driving her car instead. ;)

Reactions: GQbed and JPUConn
I believe some have mentioned it before but I was in a similar boat - really wanted a Model S - but didn't have a lot to spend. The CPOs were cheaper (or the same price), newer, and had more amenities than anything from a dealership/private individual. Add that you get the 4 year bumper-to-bumper and its a win all the way around. If you are ready to buy contact them. They have MUCH more inventory that they don't post - my vehicle wasn't on their site or the ev-cpo site either. And it was 5k less than my max with pretty much every amenity I wanted.

Hope you get to find what you want!

• Informative
Reactions: GQbed and JPUConn
Have you calculated gas savings yet? When I switched my wife from a mini-van to a Model S, it's been saving us almost $300 per month in gas (net, after subtracting electricity - she drives 2000/month). Also, if she has reservations about internal space, the Model S is almost the same size as a Toyota Sienna, just not as tall. We've hauled 10ft pipes in it, 100" table, a queen bed, etc - my wife's concerns about how much she can haul disappeared, and did I mention she now loves the Model S and would not give it up anymore? Be careful letting her drive it, you may end up driving her car instead. ;)

Oh yeah I've included the gas savings. I'm plotting to use every possible spare dollar to get the car of my adult dreams. My 13 year old self now knows how impractical a Lamborghini is :)

Reactions: JPUConn
Not sure I'd buy an MS without having at least AP1, that's the one feature to absolutely have..
Plenty of people drive without AP and love it. Personally, I have an AP1 car with AP enabled, and AP2 car without it enabled - only plan to use the safety features whenever they actually come (hopefully with auto-wipers feature too). Having had AP1 for a while, it's real world usability is limited, AP2 is not even on par with AP1 yet, so if I wanted to spend $8K or $10K on a gamble, I would buy Tesla stock. Then if they really manage to get FSD working in the next 2-3 years or so, the stock will go up enough to buy me FSD from profits alone.

Reactions: GQbed
Here is a summary of what the group has provided as options. The combination of them appear to give ample resources to cover verifying all options:
  • Using the VIN, call a Tesla Service Center and ask specific questions. They are not supposed to freely give out information, but can answer questions like "Does VIN# XX....X have dual chargers?"
  • Get the original window sticker - or - request a screenshot from their MyTesla page
  • Ask for pictures of various menu items from the center screen (easier to do in person)
  • Using the VIN, it may be possible to find it as a historical listing on Tesla Inventory Search (free registration required)
  • The https://teslatap.com/vin-decoder/ will give you a high level look at some of the options
Thank you all for your feedback! Not only did I get great advice on how to verify options, but I also got a better direction on how I should focus my requirements.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker