Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to verify that all my solar panels are working without contacting Tesla support?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed my Tesla Solar system with 48 panels and 2 Solar-edge inverters last December. My issue is that my inverters display solid green light showing solar production yet I have had solar panels broken not producing. Tesla has visited twice to repair solar panels running their Solar-edge app to verify that all 48 panels are counted and optimized. Once again my production is down and I suspect that I have some panels not working, but the inverters display solid green. I need to know how to use the Solar-edge inverter application so I can check to insure all my panels are working. Tesla app does not have this function.

I need to know if I have panels not working producing energy without having to contact Tesla's very busy support operation.

Can anyone help me here. I know there is a way to do this because the Tesla support folks run this function on their smart phones at my site.

It is very inconvenient to contact Tesla support to have them check energy production then send people out just to check my panel status.

You keep pursuing access to the solar edge monitoring:

Like @mjptech did, and agree to all the stipulations for accessing said monitoring:

Reactions: darhall993
+1 on SolarEdge Monitoring, its been critical for me for troubleshooting and because I'm really addicted to the telemetry and data that comes from the Solar+Powerwall setup. In the past few years SolarEdge monitoring has helped me pinpoint a failed optimizer, a faulty/leaky junction box that lead to downtime during heavy rains, an issue with my local Grid transformer and more. Having the details of each panel is critical for me, without it the entire setup is really just a black box.

To answer the OPs question directly, there's no easy way until you get SE access and even after you do, if you don't know the location of each optimizer, then you still won't know which panel it is that is having issues. I had to climb up on the roof and use a remote inspection camera to get under each optimizer and pull their serial numbers. At least at that point you'll know where the failure is. The PIA was getting Tesla to actually upload the physical layout based on the hand drawn map I gave them with the location of each optimizer.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
The other thing to note is that even after you get access to the solaredge app, tesla is very clear that they won’t take service requests based on data from the solaredge app. You can see more details about this in the thread @jjrandorin posted above, so even if you do discover a failed panel you’ll still need to go through the same process that you do now with support… letting them know that you’re seeing decreased production and letting them come out and use their own tools to find the bad panel themselves.

If your solaredge is set up correctly, you should be able to click on the Layout tab and see each panel and its production. Below is a screen grab of my system. The panels are shown in their location. At least you would know when to call Tesla and wait on hold.
1631554658322.png

If your solaredge is set up correctly, you should be able to click on the Layout tab and see each panel and its production. Below is a screen grab of my system. The panels are shown in their location. At least you would know when to call Tesla and wait on hold.
View attachment 708873

Tesla doesnt usually set it up that way, though, is my understanding from reading a few different peoples posts on the subject (like @sorka and @BrettS )

Q Peak Duo BLK-G6+SC340 I have 48 of these on my roof, 2 PW's.

Checking the Solar Edge Application for one of the panels in perfect bright sunlight does not seen to be producing close to 340 watts of power.

So what should I expect??????

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 1.30.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 1.30.49 PM.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 1.32.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 1.32.49 PM.png
    45.1 KB · Views: 75
Did not see on that site where to enter data. What am I missing, thanks
The address should be:

PVWatts

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
The Enphase app is called Enlighten. On the App Store:
I don't remember how I hooked it up three years ago, TBH. I'm reasonably competent with tech, but not an expert, so it couldn't have been that hard.

The Enphase app is called Enlighten. On the App Store:
I don't remember how I hooked it up three years ago, TBH. I'm reasonably competent with tech, but not an expert, so it couldn't have been that hard.
I downloaded the app, and unfortunately, it's set up for a whole Enphase system, not how my system is with the PWs and Tesla Gateway2