Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How urgent is "12V battery degraded" warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my wife's Model 3 displayed a dialog saying the 12V battery has degraded and should be serviced. The car is 3 years old, so I know it's not unusual to have to replace the battery at this point, but I was wondering how urgent the replacement is. There have been no symptoms of 12V battery issues, and this is the first time that message appeared.

I scheduled a service appointment, but the only available dates (for mobile service) were while we're out of town. Any reason this couldn't wait until January if we don't drive much before then? I'll keep the car plugged in while we're out of town.

It did have the vent connector. I shopped that size of battery between the various auto parts stores and batteries plus and the going rate was always $150-200, which really hasn’t been out of the normal for any of the batteries I’ve dealt with in recent years. I probably could have had Tesla do it under warranty but the added stress of waiting for an appointment and all of that simply wasn’t worth it. It was much better to have it done and know I wouldn’t be stuck at the wrong time in the wrong place.
They are in stock over the counter, $85, no core charge.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Upvote 0
2018 model battery showed warning, 2 days later while in garage it died. Ranger came in less than 5 days, took 5 minutes and i got new battery. do not delay.
I'm surprised you had to wait 5 days for a ranger. Did you contact Roadside Assistance or just make a service appointment? I contacted Roadside Assistance (on a Sunday) and the ranger came out the next day.

Upvote 0
Today my wife's Model 3 displayed a dialog saying the 12V battery has degraded and should be serviced. The car is 3 years old, so I know it's not unusual to have to replace the battery at this point, but I was wondering how urgent the replacement is. There have been no symptoms of 12V battery issues, and this is the first time that message appeared.

I scheduled a service appointment, but the only available dates (for mobile service) were while we're out of town. Any reason this couldn't wait until January if we don't drive much before then? I'll keep the car plugged in while we're out of town.
It's urgent. The battery will fail on you very soon.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to have constant 12v warnings with my ohmmu battery. It'll work fine for a few days after doing hard reset, then the warning pops up. Started after getting the 2021.40.x update.

Anyone else having the same issues? I'm tired of doing hard resets, may go back to OEM.

Upvote 0
Mine died the same day after driving a 40 mile trip, thankfully I was able to get tesla to do a mobile service the same day, and it was covered by warranty. I definitely want to upgrade to a 12v lithium battery in the future.
Personally, I’m just replacing mine with OEM every 24 months. Can buy a lot of OEM batteries (in this case) for the cost of the aftermarket lithium.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Upvote 0

Tesla service previously advised me that 30 days is about the limit. YMMV ;)

Upvote 0
I'm starting to have constant 12v warnings with my ohmmu battery. It'll work fine for a few days after doing hard reset, then the warning pops up. Started after getting the 2021.40.x update.

Anyone else having the same issues? I'm tired of doing hard resets, may go back to OEM.
According to an email I just received from Ohmmu, they are aware of the issue:

ohmmu_email_211213.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Upvote 0
Have the same issue right now. Was about to buy the battery and install it myself (out of warranty car) but Tesla SC told me that the new battery needs to be calibrated by them or it may fall again in around 6 months! I'm a little sceptical about that.
That is a line of pure bullshit. Thousands have done it, report him to the manager.

Upvote 0
Tesla Mobile Service came out this afternoon and replaced the 12V battery. The car was still alive so he didn't have to "break" in. The whole thing took less than 10 minutes. He also recalibrated the driver's side window, because my attempt to open it yesterday while the car was dead messed up the calibration.

I asked about our Model S 12V battery, since that car's the same age as the 3. He said the S 12V battery was different, and once the car warns me that the battery needs service, I should have at least a week before it actually dies. He said if I get the warning, they'll try to service it within 24 hours. He didn't do anything with the S today.

This was my first Mobile Service experience, since I'm not far from a Service Center. I was impressed.
What is it that is different about Model S battery? Do we just get shittier batteries?

Upvote 0