Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How warm does your heated steering wheel get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been a little dissatisfied with mine but I figured I should see what everyone else is experiencing. I feel like my heated wheel doesn’t get very hot. Once in a while (particularly if I preheat it before I get in) it’ll get nice and toasty, but the rest of the time it’s no more than lukewarm consistently, even during a long drive. It’s certainly not on a level with the heated seats, and this is SoCal so it hardly has Real Cold to contend with.

What’s everyone else seeing out of their heated steering wheel?

I've used this feature recently since the temp dropped into 30s. It seems like it gets too hot for comfort and rather quickly. I didn't know it "dials back" so I usually turn it off. I'll experiment more as it's gets colder.

I've used this feature recently since the temp dropped into 30s. It seems like it gets too hot for comfort and rather quickly. I didn't know it "dials back" so I usually turn it off. I'll experiment more as it's gets colder.
I would say id never gets too hot for us. Sometimes on the cool side. When we don't need it we turn it off and the button is one of those that sits on the main page of the console.

It gets hot at first and then goes to like 25% of the initial pre-heat. I think that’s pretty good, but would be cool to be able to have 2-3 ranges like the seats do. I’m pretty sure it can be easily accomplished with software update if Tesla really wanted to give us that option.

Reactions: Teleezen and DrGriz
It preheats so fast that I got in the habit of only turning it on just before putting hands on the wheel (like less than a minute). I falsely assumed it would keep using that amount of power (as the user interface implies a simple off/on). As others have already commented above, I finally realized that it cuts back.

I speculate it may not be a simple standard cutback, but perhaps something more like a thermostatic regulation--which would mean it would burn more power in North Dakota for someone who regulated cabin temperature to 50 so they could keep their coat on.

Now that I've read this thread, I'll try keeping it on for some full half-hour drives and see how I like it.

Like everyone else, mine gets very (but not too) hot very quickly, then cools down a bit. I feel like it only warms where my hands are because when I move them, the wheel is not hot at first, but I could be imagining that. It definitely cools down, though, and I wish I could control that. I feel like most heated steering wheels do that, though. My wife’s minivan I think does that, too.

The heated steering wheel is very inconsistent. It gets hot then dials back, then will get hot again before dialing back if you leave it on. Seems to cycle. I thought maybe something was wrong, but it sounds like this is normal operation.