Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How was increased regenerative braking achieved with 8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you.
My confusion is due to looking at it in a mechanical sense. ie....The re-gen is set to a certain resistance at the factory. You know turn a screw to lessen or strengthen the resistance. :oops:
I will need to look at this car less like a standard car and more like a computer on wheels. :)
There is NOTHING to tinker with, i'll just have to be happy cleaning it all the time :)

You are absolutely right .. its more like computer on wheels. I see huge change in the industry .. the conventional mechanical parts like body, transmission are mere hardware with less importance, the main importance is now given to software .. traditional business generated revenue from selling spares .. its services now which makes revenue e.g. $xyz and you get more range ! Awesome !

On the tuning part, its regenerative AC drives and its most important part IGBT doing the tricks :). We can still play around but for that again we need to equip ourselves with more sophisticated software knowledge (feeling sad its no more those exciting times helping dad in garage ). Let us be happy cleaning :).

I have a RWD S, and rather than the regenerative braking being more aggressive with 8.0, I find it to be considerably less aggressive. We have a house in the NC mountains which is accessed by an eight mile long section of steep, windy two lane road . In the past, I was able to come down the mountain without ever applying the brakes. With 8.0 I can no longer do that. I have to brake in some of the sharper, steeper turns.

I was thinking of starting a thread but wondered if I was imagining things. :)
After 8.0 I could feel the difference of a more aggressive re-gen. 2 days ago my re-gen feels weaker and continues to. No updates by me personally but i wonder if tesla updated something. The regen. is set to standard but it feels low. I restarted computer- no change. I had a good feel for it but now it is different, no doubt about it. I wonder if anyone else has noticed a recent change

After 8.0 I could feel the difference of a more aggressive re-gen. 2 days ago my re-gen feels weaker and continues to. No updates by me personally but i wonder if tesla updated something. The regen. is set to standard but it feels low. I restarted computer- no change. I had a good feel for it but now it is different, no doubt about it. I wonder if anyone else has noticed a recent change

AWD or RWD?

Wow - I thought I was imagining it also. I went on a twp day business trip and returned last night. My software hasn't shown any more updates since last night (I am also on v8.0) but I thought the regen was less also. I attributed it to the cooler weather because the temperature has dropped quite a bit in the last 2 days.

Wow - I thought I was imagining it also. I went on a twp day business trip and returned last night. My software hasn't shown any more updates since last night (I am also on v8.0) but I thought the regen was less also. I attributed it to the cooler weather because the temperature has dropped quite a bit in the last 2 days.
Good point about the temp. Also, battery level could be a factor since at max battery regen is not available and lower levels it is reduced.

I have paid more attention to it lately and the regen is only stronger below 30 MPH. That was not the case only last week. Tesla changed something to my car, I am very in tune with it. I liked the more aggressive approach and was just getting used to it after 8.0 :(
I didn't know temp. would have anything to do with it. This will be my first winter with the S but the temp. has only been in the 40's. Not cold. And battery level is also not at fault here, at least in my case.

But colder weather does matter to regen braking. I noticed my regen (still don't have 8.0 yet) was limited in colder days and then became full regen after driving for a while. I assume it is because the battery warmed up to normal operating temperature.

My S definitely had some kind of "update" . I noticed yesterday the regeneration does not fully engage until after my battery drops below 70%. There is even an orange dotted line showing this reduced regen. and the green regen. line will not go past this. (making sense?) After 70% it is back to how I like it. I thought maybe it was due to having it set at 90% so changed it to 100%. Nope, no difference.
I don't like this and wonder why it was changed. I now have to change my driving habits until I get to 70%? So due to this I am going too fast coming up to traffic and have to hit the brakes , hard sometimes. It's like 2 pedal driving until 70% and i'm back to the way it should be. I hope this gets changed back because I really hate it!

My S definitely had some kind of "update" . I noticed yesterday the regeneration does not fully engage until after my battery drops below 70%. There is even an orange dotted line showing this reduced regen. and the green regen. line will not go past this. (making sense?) After 70% it is back to how I like it. I thought maybe it was due to having it set at 90% so changed it to 100%. Nope, no difference.
I don't like this and wonder why it was changed. I now have to change my driving habits until I get to 70%? So due to this I am going too fast coming up to traffic and have to hit the brakes , hard sometimes. It's like 2 pedal driving until 70% and i'm back to the way it should be. I hope this gets changed back because I really hate it!
Limited regen in the way you describe it has been around since I've had my S (early 2014), but definitely not down to 70% battery. Something's wrong and you need to call the Service Center. I haven't seen this on my classic S or on our X, the latter of which gets charged to 90% daily.

Something changed. I did not have this issue before last week. I noticed it immediately as soon as I started driving. I normally charge to 90% so limited regen. is not an issue.
You may be right, maybe it is a service issue. It will be fixed in January :)

Limited regen in the way you describe it has been around since I've had my S (early 2014), but definitely not down to 70% battery. Something's wrong and you need to call the Service Center. I haven't seen this on my classic S or on our X, the latter of which gets charged to 90% daily.
I agree, this sounds like exactly what you normally get for, say, the top 5% of charge and/or on cold days. @Chopr147 , what's the weather like there in NY these days?

I agree, this sounds like exactly what you normally get for, say, the top 5% of charge and/or on cold days. @Chopr147 , what's the weather like there in NY these days?
I thought about the cold, but I was assuming he had to drive 20% battery down and that seems far too long to warm the pack. But I could be wrong.

It's been chilly on the East Coast, especially in the morning, so you may be right.

There is even an orange dotted line showing this reduced regen. and the green regen. line will not go past this. (making sense?) After 70% it is back to how I like it.

The reduced regen is likely due to colder battery and not due to software restriction. The fact that it became "normal" after the battery came down to 70% may just be a coincidence (how full was your battery when you started driving?) after you drove for a while and the battery was back to the normal operating temperature. I had the same thing happen to my S within the first week after we took delivery (it was running 7.1 at the time). The regen was limited when we first started driving when it was a cooler morning, and then it was back to full regen after driving for a while.

This was actually described in Model S Owner's Manual page 55 (there is even a picture of what you described with the dotted yellow line).

20161029_122753.jpg

OK Maybe it was the cold but you can see it's only 54 degrees. But I drove for a little while today and it cleared up at 88% so I guess it's the battery warming up. Thank you for the replies.