Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How was increased regenerative braking achieved with 8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 2.40.21, hoping for 2.42.40, and tested regen on the little hill down from my house. Standard regen from 40mph at the top of the hill slows to car to a near stop about a car length sooner than on 7. The lower setting still lets me get much farther and all the way to the bottom of the hill.

OK Maybe it was the cold but you can see it's only 54 degrees. But I drove for a little while today and it cleared up at 88% so I guess it's the battery warming up.

Your picture also showed that your battery was at 93% at the time. The manual's explanation seems to suggest that the regen may be limited when the battery is nearly full as well, although it didn't specify an exact SoC or temperature when it's limited.

If I interpret your picture correctly, where is your seat belt at 70 MPH??? :eek:

Reactions: Chopr147
I now have to change my driving habits until I get to 70%? So due to this I am going too fast coming up to traffic and have to hit the brakes , hard sometimes. It's like 2 pedal driving until 70% and i'm back to the way it should be.
This is yet another argument for putting regen on the brake pedal. If you ask to slow down (by pressing the brake pedal) the car could
slow you down in whatever way makes the most sense, using maximal available regen (which could be as little as none depending on
circumstances) and then using traditional friction braking for the remainder, such that the same amount of brake pedal force always
produced a predictable, consistent effect. There's just no way to achieve that via regen on the accelerator (unless you're willing to have
release of the go pedal actually apply the friction brakes, which seems pretty outlandish).

This is yet another argument for putting regen on the brake pedal. If you ask to slow down (by pressing the brake pedal) the car could
slow you down in whatever way makes the most sense, using maximal available regen (which could be as little as none depending on
circumstances) and then using traditional friction braking for the remainder, such that the same amount of brake pedal force always
produced a predictable, consistent effect. There's just no way to achieve that via regen on the accelerator (unless you're willing to have
release of the go pedal actually apply the friction brakes, which seems pretty outlandish).

I would sell my Tesla if they moved regen to the brake pedal.

It doesn't have to be "moved" -- remember our mantra: "It's all just software". It can and should be an option.
Regen on the brake pedal requires a lot more than just software. It requires a bunch of hardware to emulate the pedal push. Toyota has several complex diagrams of this in the New Car Feature Manual.

Updated to 2.40.21, hoping for 2.42.40, and tested regen on the little hill down from my house. Standard regen from 40mph at the top of the hill slows to car to a near stop about a car length sooner than on 7. The lower setting still lets me get much farther and all the way to the bottom of the hill.
I was in the exact same situation. After hearing about the USB changes in 2.42.40 I decided to take the plunge. I forgot about this issue. I live on a hill and with 7.1 I never had to use the brakes coming off of the hill and in fact generally applied a bit of accelerator descending. With 2.40.21 I had to apply the brakes many times. My SOC was < 90% and the temperature was 70F. Our cars are the same.

I was in the exact same situation. After hearing about the USB changes in 2.42.40 I decided to take the plunge. I forgot about this issue. I live on a hill and with 7.1 I never had to use the brakes coming off of the hill and in fact generally applied a bit of accelerator descending. With 2.40.21 I had to apply the brakes many times. My SOC was < 90% and the temperature was 70F. Our cars are the same.
I should have checked Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App first, no X in that small sample set has received 2.42.40 yet.
My impression is slightly more regen in 8 than in 7; you are reporting the opposite. In doing the test I toggled the setting button. The notes say Standard regen was modified. If you toggle your setting back and forth does Standard feel different?

A little update: While scanning the new manual I came across this:

The amount of energy fed back to the Battery using regenerative braking can depend on the current state of the Battery and the charge level setting that you are using.

If I read this literally it sounds like it treats whatever you set as your max charge as the max for regen. So if your car is at 90% and you want regen it won't regen? This would have been the case above since I would have started out at 90% SOC (my max charge setting).

Oddly also it does not seem as bad on this same hill as before but I am still left with the feeling that it is not as strong initially as it was with 7.1

Bringing back an old thread. I haven't updated the firmware in at least 2 weeks, but this AM suddenly a message popped up on my instrument cluster (NOT THE BIG SCREEN): "Regenerative braking has been improved. You may experience more forceful breaking." or something similar. It surprised me. Did I miss that before? Why would it suddenly pop up today, and why on the IC instead of the big screen? Anyone else notice this message?

P85D fw 2017.36 1b27c6d

I'm finding out that when I'm using AP at stop and go traffic, it works very well but I don't like how it sometimes breaks too aggressively. It slows down and regenerative breaking works well until it needs to come to a complete stop where I sometimes hear the breaks lock in. I keep thinking the driver behind me is probably giving me strange looks due to forceful breaking. I would be using AP at traffic jams a lot more if it weren't for its enthusiastic breaking.

I'm finding out that when I'm using AP at stop and go traffic, it works very well but I don't like how it sometimes breaks too aggressively. It slows down and regenerative breaking works well until it needs to come to a complete stop where I sometimes hear the breaks lock in. I keep thinking the driver behind me is probably giving me strange looks due to forceful breaking. I would be using AP at traffic jams a lot more if it weren't for its enthusiastic breaking.

Perhaps you should post the above in a TACC or AP thread.This one is about regenerative braking.