Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How was increased regenerative braking achieved with 8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's pretty obvious!

cardinspokebyjimdegerstrom.jpg

Point of clarification: Are you saying you have 8.x on your RWD and can feel the difference?

I have 8 on my brand new P100D and I got a chance to experience pre 8 regeneration for a few days before getting 8. The regen with 8 is much more like my 2012 RWD was before they turned it down in 7.

Also, I've changed my signature so my posts cause less confusion in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anssi
Well, I drove an up to date 7.1 car the other day, and compared to my 7.0 car it had DRAMATICALLY less regen,

People complain all the time about releases reducing regen, and people always say it's all in their head, I suspect that's because each change is so little that it's hard to see enough difference to quantify it, so people assume it's not real. But when you skip a whole bunch of versions in between and add all those minor reductions together you really see the difference.

My guess is that they simply rolled back their reductions a bit.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't notice much difference between 7 and 8. They should really increase the max regen during high speed. I use to drive a Spark EV and releasing the accelerator can really slow me down enough on the highway so I can drive using 1 pedal. The Model S, I find myself pressing the brake often.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magus
In my few days driving with 8.0, I notice a difference in my RWD 70 between it and 7.1 when coming to a stop in city driving. I remember 7.1 would slow me down to about 5-6 mph then continue at that speed (requiring me to always hit the brake pedal), but it seems like 8.0 slows me down a tiny bit faster then, instead of keeping at 5-6 mph, it more slowly takes me to 1 mph. Not sure if others are seeing this, too.

My hypothesis is that both motors are playing more a part in the regen to recoup more energy.

I also wonder if they are too aggressive with regen in the RWD that there could be a traction loss situation.

How much regen is applied is just a software setting. It is not limited by the hardware. Various software updates changed the regen amount and how it's applied at what speed, level of charge, battery temperature or how it fades in and out. It's all software.

I have a RWD and never had the car slip or become unstable when regen in any weather condition except once when I was driving in pure black ice and cars were sliding in the ditch left and right. The conditions were so slippery that driving at all was too dangerous.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I have a RWD and never had the car slip or become unstable when regen in any weather condition except once when I was driving in pure black ice and cars were sliding in the ditch left and right. The conditions were so slippery that driving at all was too dangerous.
Don't mix { cruise control, stability / traction control, standing water }. On my RWD P85, the experience (I-90 east towards Ellensburg) is ... unsettling.