Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How was your home installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I only have a 100 amp panel in my home and will have to upgrade. Along with digging a trench to my garage, it will cost me about $3K. How was everyone else's experience?

I live too far from any of the (recommended) Tesla charger installers so asked the local company I normally use. He was so glad to help he did the installation of an HPWC and the 220V outlet for cost+! He is researching all he can get his hands on to get on the list of recognized installers.

Looks like I only have a 100 amp panel in my home and will have to upgrade. Along with digging a trench to my garage, it will cost me about $3K. How was everyone else's experience?
Does your home have an electric dryer ? A friend of mine in an older home replaced his electric dryer with a gas dryer and then used the dryer outlet to charge his EV.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and David99
Does your home have an electric dryer ? A friend of mine in an older home replaced his electric dryer with a gas dryer and then used the dryer outlet to charge his EV.
Along these lines, consider replacing an electric dryer and/ or range with natural gas ones if this applies to you. It's very likely doing so will drop the load on your 100 service so that you can run the 240V without upgrading. You'd get shiny new appliances for less than the cost of 200 service upgrade. If none of this applies or you're running additional heavy-draw things off your box, ignore this altogether.

I see you live in Chicago. My friend's a licensed electrician and recently did my 240V with a detached garage. The only catch was I dug my own trench, no biggie. If I would've did it with no permits (in retrospect I really should've, such a goddamn sham), costs would've been a good bit under 1k. With permits and all the BS that accompanies, around 1k.

Let me know your thoughts, and if you're interested, I could probably set you up with my guy.

Along these lines, consider replacing an electric dryer and/ or range with natural gas ones if this applies to you. It's very likely doing so will drop the load on your 100 service so that you can run the 240V without upgrading. You'd get shiny new appliances for less than the cost of 200 service upgrade. If none of this applies or you're running additional heavy-draw things off your box, ignore this altogether.

I see you live in Chicago. My friend's a licensed electrician and recently did my 240V with a detached garage. The only catch was I dug my own trench, no biggie. If I would've did it with no permits (in retrospect I really should've, such a goddamn sham), costs would've been a good bit under 1k. With permits and all the BS that accompanies, around 1k.

Let me know your thoughts, and if you're interested, I could probably set you up with my guy.
Yeah our washer and dryer are new, so replacing those is not in the cards. I am ok with upgrading the panel. We need it, and will add value to the home. You replaced your whole panel for under 1K? I asked a family friend to quote me so I know he is being honest. We may help to dig the trecnh too, so it may end up around 2K. But I though that sounded like a fair price.

Yeah our washer and dryer are new, so replacing those is not in the cards. I am ok with upgrading the panel. We need it, and will add value to the home. You replaced your whole panel for under 1K? I asked a family friend to quote me so I know he is being honest. We may help to dig the trecnh too, so it may end up around 2K. But I though that sounded like a fair price.
2k for a 200 upgrade along with everything else with a caveat of helping dig the trench? Yeah, that's a good deal IMO.

If needed, a 12" rated trencher could be rented for $60-70 for 3 hours and make short work of the trench, too.