TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How water-resistant is the charger that comes with the car?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Zeromus-X, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

I've never had any problems with my mobile connector and rain. But I'm currently at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas and I'm reading all these news articles that Sacramento is getting a "ten year storm" and that there will be a ton of flooding.

My car is parked outside, plugged in with the mobile charger on the ground underneath the car. I do this to minimize water hitting it in case it rains. I would not have expected a massive storm to dump 6-8" of rain in my absence.

The outlet is (should be) ground fault protected so I'm not worried about a short there, but does anyone know if the mobile connector can survive being submerged? I have never seen my parking lot flood but I have also never seen 6-8" of rain in Sacramento and assume based on my elevation that it is possible.

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I cannot offer a definitive answer about any units that can be submerged, I will offer that you'd be wise to find a way to keep your unit off of the ground.

3. gregd

gregd Active Member

Not sure I'd worry too much. I'm up the hill a bit (so it should be worse here), and today we had only 0.7" of rain according to the Wx station here. Seems that most of the storm has tracked to the south a bit. The high wind advisory they had posted for last night never materialized. I think tomorrow (Sunday) will be worse, but they're calling for 3.8" up here and only 1.3" in Sacto. So, even with a lot of rain, it's spread out over the week, with some time (hopefully enough) to drain. Technically, the Weather Service still has weather watches posted through Wednesday, so use your own judgment... But I'd recommend you relax and enjoy the show!

4. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

Enjoying for sure. There's literally nothing I could do to change the situation so no sense worrying about it from here. I can't hang the UMC where I park so I always slide it under the car to avoid some of the rain when it happens. I'll look into a way of elevating it an it when I get home, too.

5. gregd

gregd Active Member

A block of wood sometimes can solve a lot of problems. That's how I get my car over the drainage dip and into the garage (Roadsters don't have variable lift suspensions...).

Do let us know if you see any new EV gizmos at the show!

6. dandelot

dandelot Member