Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does a new 2022 MYP ride?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will always choose looks over feel. Its not like it feels like I'm driving on rocks. The 21" feel is smooth as hell to me. But perhaps its because I came from driving a Suburban for 14 years
If I'm single or if I don't have kids who sit at the back of the car, I would probably also prefer the 21" look (really tall wheels and low profile tires are quite elegant to look at). But my daughter who pushed me to get rid of our ICE car and replace it with Model Y was not so happy after she experienced NY City street at the back of the car. She said it's not easy for her to disregard the unpleasant ride quality (compared to the MB GLC that we replaced). I wanted her to be happy about our new car and about our decision to go electric. Now that I have installed the coilover and installed the new wheels (and 255/50R19 tires), my wife and daughter are very happy and proud of our MPY.

If I'm single or if I don't have kids who sit at the back of the car, I would probably also prefer the 21" look (really tall wheels and low profile tires are quite elegant to look at). But my daughter who pushed me to get rid of our ICE car and replace it with Model Y was not so happy after she experienced NY City street at the back of the car. She said it's not easy for her to disregard the unpleasant ride quality (compared to the MB GLC that we replaced). I wanted her to be happy about our new car and about our decision to go electric. Now that I have installed the coilover and installed the new wheels (and 255/50R19 tires), my wife and daughter are very happy and proud of our MPY.
Yeah..definitely a rougher ride in the back...When the roads are decent, it is perfectly fine...Someone mentioned a long roadtrip where those roads are usually very smooth..the car feels super smooth on nice roads...

But if you're in a high traffic areas where the roads are a bit iffy...definitely feels the bumps more than most other cars...quite a harsh ride....Not too bad in the front, but pretty bad in the back...

For my normal use case, this isn't a big deal...Probably not enough to push me to try to upgrade the suspension....but if I had people in the back on a regular basis like you do, I'd probably do something similar..

DAY ONE UPDATE:
‘21 MYSR RWD (20” Induction) —> ‘22 MY P

TLDR: Suspension and ride quality feel markedly superior. Better sound insulation too.

Better:
- Soon as I pulled into the the first driveway I was caught off guard by how smooth it was. This was 2 mins into getting the car because I went to the Service Centre next door.
Something is different, though I’m no suspension expert. If I had to guess it’s that the end ranges of the suspension travel seem to be tapered off vs the abrupt bump at the end range of the old suspension set up.

- Bioweapon defense mode was a nice surprise since my last two Tesla’s developed the awful AC smell within months and was a major headache to change the filters. Hoping this new system is somehow more resilient.

- Autopilot is much calibrated for the centre of the lane. Last MY would hug the left side lane marker. And also scream warnings at me for drifting out of my lane, always thinking I’m over the right side lane marker. Tesla said that one was fine, but I definitely feel more centred now. Hopefully hands on wheel calibration is better too..

- Cabin noise is much more muted. It’s almost like a window was always slightly open in the MYSR. Phone calls sucked on the highway. Like riding a motorcycle (exaggerating).

- Sound system sounded “better/crisper” to me. Especially the bass. This is where I started to feel like this may be subconscious bias. But if I assume I was right, it felt like because of the superior noise isolation of the cabin, that the cabin air pressure was not constantly fluctuating anymore so the sound vibrations could travel uniformly.
Was expecting this to be worse given news of some speaker removal recently.

- Better aligned. The MY SR had vibrations at higher speeds. Felt through steering wheel and rest of the car (seats/floorboard/etc.). Not major and only noticeable above 70mph. Because the MYP has more go at higher speeds, I didn’t realize how fast I was going and there were no vibrations at all.

Minor issues at delivery:
- Brake pedal cover was 50% installed. You could tell right away because the silver performance pedal was diagonal and looked out of place. Feeling behind the pedal, I could tell the lip of the brake cover was folded in and not grabbing onto the metal back plate. I’ve installed after market performance pedals before so I knew what needed to be done (it sucks). Unfortunately there was some pushback when I asked for that to be fixed immediately because I didn’t want to drive off with a loose brake pedal on a brand new car.

- Front passenger door, the back edge protrudes at the bottom. Enough for it to catch your eye if you’re quickly glancing for fit and finish issues. The rest of the car fitment looked great though!
Tesla said it was sticking out 2mm, which is within 3 mm tolerance. Eye balling it, id assume it was more than 3mm but I’ll reserve judgement until I put calipers on it myself. Happy with the car overall so far. They also said that adjusting the door would mess up other gaps so it’s not good to touch it.

Performance:
- Didn’t feel as ridiculously fast as I was expecting. Though admittedly I was babying it too much to put the pedal down all the way. Especially on launch, I believe new tires can be slippery, so no point flooring it yet. But it definitely had more power at highway speeds, not that I “needed” more than MYSR.
Honestly, it may be a well tuned accelerator pedal that comes on smoothly unless it’s floored. Still obviously fast enough to make you sick if you want to be, same as was the MYSR IMO.

Other updates include:
- Li-Ion battery
- Ryzen chip
- No parcel shelf
- Double pane windows front (equal size)
- Front mudflats installed
- Rear PPF installed
- Mobile connector and adapters included
- Hatch motor didn’t feel smoother. In fact it was creakier then MYSR
- Haven’t tested which USB ports have data yet

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and nate704
It's like your ears are being stressed. Just an unnerving feeling. I have no idea what was causing it. I've never experienced it before outside of possibly an airplane? It was noticeable within 5-10 minutes and persisted the entire test drive. Here's something else I found online:

"I suspect that the air inside the car is vibrating the way it does inside an organ pipe or in a soda bottle when you blow carefully across the bottle's lip. This resonant effect is common in cars when one rear passenger window is opened slightly. In that case, air blowing across the opening in the window is easily deflected into or out of the opening and drives the air in the passenger compartment into vigorous vibration. In short, the car is acting like a giant whistle and because of its enormous size, its pitch is too low for you to hear. Instead, you feel the vibration as a sickening pulsation in the air pressure.

For the one-open-window problem, the solution is simple: open another window. That shifts the resonant frequency of the car's air and also helps to dampen the vibrations. Alternatively, you can close the opened window. In your case, the resonance appears to involve a less visible opening into the car, perhaps near the rear bumper. If you can close that leak, you may be able to stop the airflow from driving the air in the car into resonance. If you are unable to find the leak, your best bet is to do exactly what you've done: open another window."

I have a new MYP as month back and changed the tire config to 295/35/21 rear. 275/35/21 front. Basically an extra .5” of sidewall all around and running at 39psi.

2000km on it and I can say it’s drives way nicer than my previous 2021 MYLR with 19” Gemini’s at standard 43-44psi.

Could be a slight suspension dampening on the latest 22’s but it’s quite noticeable going from the stock 275/255 set up.
No sir the oem are still 255/275. I purchased a set of 295’s and put the 275’s on the front rims.

The 255’s I keep as spares
@Destiny1701 - with the swap to 295's in the rear and moving the 275's to the front, was your change in the speedometer accuracy significant ? Any other drawbacks to mention ? The extra protection on the rims looks good in the pictures.