Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does a new 2022 MYP ride?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol... lots of jumping to conclusions here.

The car is mainly for my wife, though I'll be spending a lot of time in it too. I've spent the last 10 years driving a modified Honda S2000 and Porsche Cayman GTS. I'm very familiar with performance cars and firm suspensions don't bother me at all. I would like something that rides a bit better for our family vehicle though.

Anyways... last week we went ahead and ordered a red MYP for EDD of May. I'll be swapping the car with some 19" Martian wheels and Conti DWS 06 tires pretty much immediately and I'm confident we'll be happy with the ride.

The basis for our decision for the Performance over the LR were the quicker delivery, better looks, and lowered ride height. Not to mention that with the acceleration boost upgrade to the LR, the price differential between the two cars shrinks to just $3k - which is basically nothing.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to reply here.

Picked up our MYP on Friday, with expectations that the 21 inch wheels would be quite rough. Nowhere as bad as all the posts led me to believe, but not sure if the 2022 model has a tweaked suspension as proposed in this thread.

After driving ~200 miles, my general conclusion vs the two other cars we have on hand right now...
  1. vs. 2018 Model 3 LR on 18" Wheels -- the new MYP actually feels more compliant for the most part, and going over speed bumps / bad roads is actually slightly better in the MYP. Could be the older low tread on the Model 3.
  2. vs. 2019 XC90 on 21" Wheels with air suspension -- in the past, I would always say this car is 100% in a different class vs. the Model 3. With the MYP, i would actually say its getting closer - obviously not as nice as the air suspension but I see a world where the MYP is 'good enough' for us and will become the daily driver.

Reactions: nate704
Having just moved from a ‘20 MYLR on 20s to a ‘22 MYP. It does feel like night and day better. This is both smoothness and handling. Had an ‘18 M3LR AWD with 19s before these; the ‘22 MYP feels like a good compromise between them for overall ride quality and handling. Also drove an older X as a loaner for a bit and that felt like floating all over the road.

Don’t get me wrong you still feel bumps but of the Teslas this is the best so far IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: R4V1 and tm1v2
We are 70 years old and have no complaints about the ride quality on or 2020 LR AWD, (that some complain about as well) but as I learned over 55+ years of driving I lower my tire pressure in COLD temps, I run then at 38 psi in the winter and 44 in the summer. That really helps in the winter. Adjusting tire pressure is the easiest way and cheapest way to tune a performance suspension for street use. Of course I air them UP for all long road trips.

So I ended up changing the Pirellis to the Michelins. I only had the Pirellis on the 2022 car for 4 days before swapping but there is a significant difference in how the 2021 with Pirellis and 2022 with Michelins feels with compliance being significantly better on the Michelins.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
We are 70 years old and have no complaints about the ride quality on or 2020 LR AWD, (that some complain about as well) but as I learned over 55+ years of driving I lower my tire pressure in COLD temps, I run then at 38 psi in the winter and 44 in the summer. That really helps in the winter. Adjusting tire pressure is the easiest way and cheapest way to tune a performance suspension for street use. Of course I air them UP for all long road trips.
You really don't have to lower the tire pressure during the cold months since the law of physics will take care of it automatically for you. =)

If you want to make significant improvement in the ride quality of your MYP, the only real solution is to 1) replace those uberturbines with 19” wheels, AND 2) fix the suspension by installing coilovers. You need to do both. The fix will cost you a bit but that’s what it takes to make a good car an amazing one.
  1. Replace uberturbine with 19x8.5”forged Martian wheels and fit them with 255/50r19 tires (this size is available in ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus, which in my opinion has better overall performance than Pilot Sport A/S 4). Tire diameter is 1” taller than OEM tire height but it will fit, anything taller won’t fit. Your speedometer reading will be slightly inaccurate due to increased tire diameter but for me that’s an insignificant compromise. This setup gave my car the necessary 5” side wall to absorb harsh bumps and nasty potholes in NYC, sufficient tire bulge for curb rash protection, and massive reduction in unsprung weight of the wheels.
  2. Instal MPP Comfort Coilover (no need to buy and install camber arms, toe arms, etc, you only need them if you also want to lower your Model Y), and set the compression and damping levels at your preferred comfort setting (I chose 13/13 for front and rear).

I waited for both the Martian wheels and the MPP coilovers to arrive (and the TPMS) then I ordered the tires and had them delivered directly to the auto shop. I did both upgrades at the same time, dropped the car at the auto shop at 8am and picked it up at 7pm.

After the upgrades the improvement is quite obvious. Noise, vibration and harshness are significantly reduced. My wife said it actually feels like a different car after the upgrade. I also think that the new wheel setup made my MYP look better (the larger tire diameter filled the wheel well quite nicely).

1A216BA6-3C84-45C6-971E-155090130284.jpeg

4ED787AB-424D-4D25-A80B-1E1D665C54FA.jpeg

1A8541E9-4286-4EBF-BF6E-8F379C2AC932.jpeg

Have a ‘22 MYP, and on 21s the v3 ride was not necessarily stiff but planted on bumps. I put 19” Gemini wheels on to get the range of a LR and the wheels soak up the bumps more and car is less planted over bumps. Easy fix is just swap someone that has a LR their wheels so you don’t have to change TPMS and gain the efficiency back with an increase in ride quality to boot.

I had an early 2020 Model Y Performance and now a March 2022 Model Y Performance. There is a night and day difference and the suspension/overall feel of the car is SO much better. Just my $0.02.
I keep seeing this “night and day” which is very subjective. I just got my MYP less than a month ago and I can tell you that the ride is extremely harsh compared to MB GLC that I replaced. I was able to remedy this with rather costly update, but now I’m reallly happy with my MYP.

I have put 4k/miles per month on a '22 MYP (I got it in April). The ride is fine. I have no issues at all with it. My daily before was a Prius, and my other cars are sports cars and muscle cars, so I'm used to that. I took the Prius into NYC since I didn't want to take the MYP and risk it getting banged up. The ride was terrible in the Prius compared to the MYP. I test drove the MYLR and did not like it, but loved the MYP.

That said, my plan is to stop driving it around November and drive something else until the temperature gets milder, in April again. I don't see this as a great winter car with the tires and range when the temperature drops (NY/PA winters)

Last edited:
I keep seeing this “night and day” which is very subjective. I just got my MYP less than a month ago and I can tell you that the ride is extremely harsh compared to MB GLC that I replaced. I was able to remedy this with rather costly update, but now I’m reallly happy with my MYP.
You might not have waited long enough. I received my 2022 MYP in late 12/2021. My previous car was a bouncy boat 2013 Chevy Volt which I got used to. When I got the MYP I really thought I’d have to sell it due to the rough ride or get coilovers plus smaller wheels.
Around 5,000 miles of driving I noticed the ride felt a lot better and I still use the 21” wheels. I do plan to get 18” or 19” wheels to help reduce risk of blowout on road trips.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I have a new MYP as month back and changed the tire config to 295/35/21 rear. 275/35/21 front. Basically an extra .5” of sidewall all around and running at 39psi.

2000km on it and I can say it’s drives way nicer than my previous 2021 MYLR with 19” Gemini’s at standard 43-44psi.

Could be a slight suspension dampening on the latest 22’s but it’s quite noticeable going from the stock 275/255 set up.
4E90D753-C3EC-4C1F-B4A0-92C2438BB04B.jpeg
A24922BB-9116-4EAE-9B07-358A7162D9CB.jpeg

I can't imagine the Mercedes driving all that badly, so it's probably a testament to how well the Tesla drives.
Technically it’s true, my wife’s Camry with 18” rides worse than my BMW wit 20 inch wheels. It’s about the suspension configuration on vehicles too not just the wheel . Tire manufacturer also variesz I only drive on Michelin tires for quiet smooth rides.