Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does a new 2022 MYP ride?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m picking up MYP soon.
Coming from MYSR with 20” inductions.

Will report back on comparison, but it will be subjective.

I find the MYSR a tad harsh on rough roads. Not really a deal breaker.
Might wince everytime I hit a pothole with 21” Performance wheels because of the horror stories I’ve read.

I own both a ‘22 MYLR w/Gemini 19” wheels and a ‘22 MYP w/Michelin AS. The rides feel remarkably similar—the LR is a bit softer, but the MYP feels much more confident. Prefer the MYP
@n0mad17 Any guess how much of the difference is due to wheels+tires? Like if you put MYP wheels and tires on your MYLR, think you'd have the same confidence as the MYP? Or would your MYLR still feel softer?

My wife and I did a test drive in a MYP last weekend and I felt the ride was fine. Not nearly as rough as I was expecting from what I have read on the forums. I also have a 2017 Porsche 911 with all the handling options and the MYP was softer riding than that car. The MYP was roughly similar to my wife's 2013 Lexus RX450h.
This is a true statement from the actual owner. Never-Tesla folks in this forum will always swarm over "harsh ride", "uncontrolled body movement", "unbearable discomfort" posts and spread fear and minority opinions as general perception, which is not true.

This is a true statement from the actual owner. Never-Tesla folks in this forum will always swarm over "harsh ride", "uncontrolled body movement", "unbearable discomfort" posts and spread fear and minority opinions as general perception, which is not true.
@nate704 Please stop trolling or pushing your personal agenda. "Actual owner?" @dflowerz said they took a test drive. Yes their report of the ride quality is valid! So are all the other firsthand reports here.

Tesla changes the suspension tuning of their cars regularly. As the Y is the newest Tesla car, this might be the first significant change in the Y's suspension. The Model 3 suspension has also been softened over the years, multiple times, new ones are much softer than early ones. Model S suspension has changed in both directions, from soft to firm back to soft, and then to adaptive dampers in the two most recent revisions.

I'm grateful for all the feedback in this thread. It now seems clear the Y suspension *has* changed in 2022, for better ride quality.

@nate704 Please stop trolling or pushing your personal agenda. "Actual owner?" @dflowerz said they took a test drive. Yes their report of the ride quality is valid! So are all the other firsthand reports here.

Tesla changes the suspension tuning of their cars regularly. As the Y is the newest Tesla car, this might be the first significant change in the Y's suspension. The Model 3 suspension has also been softened over the years, multiple times, new ones are much softer than early ones. Model S suspension has changed in both directions, from soft to firm back to soft, and then to adaptive dampers in the two most recent revisions.

I'm grateful for all the feedback in this thread. It now seems clear the Y suspension *has* changed in 2022, for better ride quality.
My apologies for using "actual owner" I meant he/she test drove the MYP and he/she owns other sport cars. If I misled you I am sorry. it was not my intention.

Also, I don't know why people like you keep painting other people who has different opinion "trolls". Also, what do I gain for pushing my "personal agenda"? I don't even have any agenda, so please tell me what my personal agenda is. I am curious.

Most MYP owners don't come here and complain about the ride quality. you and others (very few compare to the total number of the MYP owners in the world) keep making it look like we are all complaining about the ride quality, which is not true.

Reactions: mdsco and Corndart
MYP here and I think it rides fine. People complain about the stiffness etc but I personally think they’re being a bit dramatic. Unless you have a sleeping baby in the car you’re not really going to notice it. My wife’s Lexus NX actually feels too bouncy for me now and whenever I hit a dip it’s like driving a boat.
The point is that Tesla improved the MYP suspension recently. It wasn't that bad before, IMO, but it was noticeably harsher than it is now, which I think many people will find helpful, especially those that have to drive on imperfect roads.

My MYP order was made without ever driving a Model Y at all. I thought I'd at least test drive one first (MYP w/21 Uberturbines) and as many people have already said in this thread it was no where near as firm or rough as people have been saying. I intentional drove over a section of the interstate that was hammered and under construction and the ride was significantly more compliant and quiet than my current vehicles (2014 Lexus IS350 FSport and 2016 4 Runner) I took the demo up to my favorite set of twistys and did notice how top heavy it felt and wished the shocks were actually more firm for aggressive canyon driving. The KDSS on the 4 Runner makes a big difference on that also top heavy beast.

I did however experience the ear pressure issue where it felt like my ears needed to constantly pop which is see is addressed in other threads. Also shocked how I was constantly bouncing off the 85 mph limiter. RIP to my wallet in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: nate704
Ride preferences and tolerances vary wildly. I put "Performance Sport" coilovers on my Model 3P. My favorite driving Model S was P85+ with its stiffer, sportier suspension makeover. My last ICE car was a sport compact which I modded with stiffer sway bars, mounts, bushings, etc. In short, I prefer firm suspension over soft and floaty.

Yet somehow I really disliked the ride quality of the 2021 Q3 MYLR I test drove. 🤷‍♂️ However based on all the feedback here, I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with the ride in a new 2022 Model Y (LR or P). That's good, I liked almost everything else about the Y (as crossovers go)...so it'll be very much in contention again next time we go car shopping, which will be soon-ish to replace our old 2013 Model S. Most likely we'll follow through with our Rivian R1T reservation if Rivian really honors the early pricing (which always seemed too low for all the features!), but I'm not counting on that at this point, we need to keep our options open and the Y is a good one too. (Yes the Y is a very different kind of vehicle of course, but none of the other EV pickups so far would work for us, they're all too long except for the R1T.)

My MYP order was made without ever driving a Model Y at all. I thought I'd at least test drive one first (MYP w/21 Uberturbines) and as many people have already said in this thread it was no where near as firm or rough as people have been saying. I intentional drove over a section of the interstate that was hammered and under construction and the ride was significantly more compliant and quiet than my current vehicles (2014 Lexus IS350 FSport and 2016 4 Runner) I took the demo up to my favorite set of twistys and did notice how top heavy it felt and wished the shocks were actually more firm for aggressive canyon driving. The KDSS on the 4 Runner makes a big difference on that also top heavy beast.

I did however experience the ear pressure issue where it felt like my ears needed to constantly pop which is see is addressed in other threads. Also shocked how I was constantly bouncing off the 85 mph limiter. RIP to my wallet in the future.
The ear pressure thing is what I’m dealing with right now 2 months into owning my model y. I’m so stuck on what to do. I adjusted the trunk but that didn’t help :/