Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does a new 2022 MYP ride?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@nate704 Please stop trolling or pushing your personal agenda. "Actual owner?" @dflowerz said they took a test drive. Yes their report of the ride quality is valid! So are all the other firsthand reports here.

Tesla changes the suspension tuning of their cars regularly. As the Y is the newest Tesla car, this might be the first significant change in the Y's suspension. The Model 3 suspension has also been softened over the years, multiple times, new ones are much softer than early ones. Model S suspension has changed in both directions, from soft to firm back to soft, and then to adaptive dampers in the two most recent revisions.

I'm grateful for all the feedback in this thread. It now seems clear the Y suspension *has* changed in 2022, for better ride quality.
Agreed...too many kool aid drinkers here that will defend Tesla for silly reasons..

The MYP ride for 2022 is better than the ones I've tried in the past (only 2 so take that with a grain of salt). My impression: on normal streets, it is actually quite good. Ride quality is very nice....on poor freeways, it is pretty bad..in the back is it even worse....I would say as a driver, it is not as good as most other cars I've had on an iffy freeway....as a passenger in the back it is one of the worst.

Overall, I'm happy with it...if I had to drive on poor freeways all the time, I'd probably consider something else or upgrading the suspension...

Agreed...too many kool aid drinkers here that will defend Tesla for silly reasons..

The MYP ride for 2022 is better than the ones I've tried in the past (only 2 so take that with a grain of salt). My impression: on normal streets, it is actually quite good. Ride quality is very nice....on poor freeways, it is pretty bad..in the back is it even worse....I would say as a driver, it is not as good as most other cars I've had on an iffy freeway....as a passenger in the back it is one of the worst.

Overall, I'm happy with it...if I had to drive on poor freeways all the time, I'd probably consider something else or upgrading the suspension...
Always same response from these guys. "Trolls", "Kool aid" "poor ride quality", "harsh", "I like it, but but", "it's good on smooth road, but very harsh on rough road" "worst for passengers".
Are you a bot?? Please just stay in Twitter world, not here. :cool:

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja

I think the most vocal probably have some stake in the company (TSLA). It's in their best interest to defend.

Always same response from these guys. "Trolls", "Kool aid" "poor ride quality", "harsh", "I like it, but but", "it's good on smooth road, but very harsh on rough road" "worst for passengers".
@nate704 I see you're in VA, which has pretty smooth well-maintained highways in my experience (by USA standards). @Polymer is in CA, profile doesn't say which part, but I can tell you some CA highways are really terrible to ride on. In the high traffic areas especially socal a lot of highways are ribbed concrete that feels just awful, like constant waves and hard impacts all in one. It's a serious challenge for suspension tuning and brings out the worst in many suspensions. Soft or underdampened suspensions can feel too floaty easily, and firm suspensions can feel too harsh and busy, even if they ride well over bad asphalt. Also the tire noise from the concrete impacts is no joke either. It takes a real goldilocks suspension to feel halfway decent over the bad CA concrete highways. Having decent tire sidewall height helps too, but that's only part of the puzzle, the suspension tuning is still critical.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Haven't driven the MYP yet but I have an LR and I'll probably give my impressions once I get the car but one of my biggest complaints about the ride of the LR is not so much the bumpiness but the hardness of the headrest. When I hit a bump and my head flops a bit and hits the headrest it's like slamming into a wooden board. My Telluride has plush headrests so when it happens there the after effect isn't as bad as in the Y.

It is true though...you don't want to hear it? It is absolutely true. This is not just my impression but the impression from passengers who have never been in a Tesla before..

It is a rough ride..especially in the rear. It is really too bad you're so blinded you can't accept the truth, I'm looking for them to make it better....

BTW, I actually really enjoy my Tesla...Outside of some panel/build quality issues, the car itself has been great. Can I not be critical about its shortfalling? Sorry you keep drinking the kool aid..time to grow up.

I’ve read this before and don’t really understand what people mean. Is the cabin pressure too high in the MY?
It's like your ears are being stressed. Just an unnerving feeling. I have no idea what was causing it. I've never experienced it before outside of possibly an airplane? It was noticeable within 5-10 minutes and persisted the entire test drive. Here's something else I found online:

"I suspect that the air inside the car is vibrating the way it does inside an organ pipe or in a soda bottle when you blow carefully across the bottle's lip. This resonant effect is common in cars when one rear passenger window is opened slightly. In that case, air blowing across the opening in the window is easily deflected into or out of the opening and drives the air in the passenger compartment into vigorous vibration. In short, the car is acting like a giant whistle and because of its enormous size, its pitch is too low for you to hear. Instead, you feel the vibration as a sickening pulsation in the air pressure.

For the one-open-window problem, the solution is simple: open another window. That shifts the resonant frequency of the car's air and also helps to dampen the vibrations. Alternatively, you can close the opened window. In your case, the resonance appears to involve a less visible opening into the car, perhaps near the rear bumper. If you can close that leak, you may be able to stop the airflow from driving the air in the car into resonance. If you are unable to find the leak, your best bet is to do exactly what you've done: open another window."

Reactions: NeueBesser
Haven't driven the MYP yet but I have an LR and I'll probably give my impressions once I get the car but one of my biggest complaints about the ride of the LR is not so much the bumpiness but the hardness of the headrest. When I hit a bump and my head flops a bit and hits the headrest it's like slamming into a wooden board. My Telluride has plush headrests so when it happens there the after effect isn't as bad as in the Y.

Yes! And annoys me how far forward the headrest is. It’s not adjustable (fwd/back, up/down) like a Benz.

A fixed headrest is bonkers when you think about it. People have wildly different torso lengths. The taller you are the more your head is forced forward.
It’s bad posture IMO.

..looks cool though. Like white BaeMax.

@nate704 Please stop trolling or pushing your personal agenda. "Actual owner?" @dflowerz said they took a test drive. Yes their report of the ride quality is valid! So are all the other firsthand reports here.

Tesla changes the suspension tuning of their cars regularly. As the Y is the newest Tesla car, this might be the first significant change in the Y's suspension. The Model 3 suspension has also been softened over the years, multiple times, new ones are much softer than early ones. Model S suspension has changed in both directions, from soft to firm back to soft, and then to adaptive dampers in the two most recent revisions.

I'm grateful for all the feedback in this thread. It now seems clear the Y suspension *has* changed in 2022, for better ride quality.
I think you're unfairly accusing people for giving honest opinions based on their actual experience. I owned MB GLC for a few years, and my daughter who always sits at the back of the car noticed the stark difference in comfort when driving in NY city streets. You really have to sit at the back of the car and drive in imperfect city streets (like NYC, Philly, Jersey), then compare the experience between MYP and a comparable SUV. If you think the difference in ride comfort is insignificant, then good for you. But don't assume the everybody else are unreasonable whiners. To each her/his own. This forum is meant to be a place where people can express their views, knowledge or opinions, and we should assume that posters mean well.

In my case, I have remedied this on my MYP by spending on coilovers and replacing uberturbine with 19" wheels. Here's my original post: how-well-does-a-new-2022-myp-ride.

Tesla doesn't always change part numbers unless it's a specific difference or function or legal requirement, think the heated rearview mirrors vs auto-dimming, on the early Y's. What will happen is that there's a " Revision" mark indicating the change but that's only found on the part and maybe on the service notes on the tech portal for service. A good example I can provide is the internal pillar cover, in my old 2020 Y, these early ones tended to pop out due to the clips and plastic lengths, they revised the part and when the tech came had to modify it a bit so it fitted the older one, the new part worked and had original part # but was revision "D", so it had indeed changed. Same in computer boards, it's very common. I will add a caveat as well, they did change later in for 2021 YPUP the tires from Pirelli to Michelin and just doing caused better feel, so it can be small changes as well.
That’s not quite right.

Revision updates typically mean they are backward compatible for that part number. The revision could be a large change or small or for any reason.

New part numbers typically mean they are not backwards compatible. Like the part is mounted differently and is only compatible with VIN’s or builds after a certain date. Again the change could be small or large or for any reason. It just typically implies it’s not backward compatible with the old part.

It’s more of a standard inventory convention. New revs replace old revs and old revs don’t need to be stocked for spare parts. New part numbers imply both part numbers will need to be stocked. To support old and new cars.

Sometimes new part numbers are backward compatible. Like they might have had two part numbers that were compatible with their respective VINs. But they decide to design a 3rd part number that is compatible with both.

Yes! And annoys me how far forward the headrest is. It’s not adjustable (fwd/back, up/down) like a Benz.

A fixed headrest is bonkers when you think about it. People have wildly different torso lengths. The taller you are the more your head is forced forward.
It’s bad posture IMO.

..looks cool though. Like white BaeMax.
Headrests in cars are not meant to rest your head on while you drive. They are head restraints for minimizing injury during an accident.

If your head is hitting the head restraint you have your seat poorly adjusted.

Reactions: nate704
Headrests in cars are not meant to rest your head on while you drive. They are head restraints for minimizing injury during an accident.

Agreed. I don’t want to rest my head on the headrest. But when the headrest protrudes that far forward it encroaches on the space where my head is. There is no gap unless I keep my head further forward.

At 6’, I assume I fall into the median range, not an outlier. My seat is poorly adjusted because it’s fixed that way and can’t be adjusted. Hence my comment.

Your link (+1 for Brian Cooley) shows the importance of adjusting the headrest to YOU. Which isn’t possible here.

That is not true.

Many German cars have headrests that actually tilt forward to provide a relief position for drivers on longer drives.

I know it might be amazing to find out, but some of us have neck/back issues that prevent us from driving around in the car with our head upright and we have to rest our head on the HEADREST to relieve that pain when driving.

Reactions: PearlShark
I think you're unfairly accusing people for giving honest opinions based on their actual experience. I owned MB GLC for a few years, and my daughter who always sits at the back of the car noticed the stark difference in comfort when driving in NY city streets. You really have to sit at the back of the car and drive in imperfect city streets (like NYC, Philly, Jersey), then compare the experience between MYP and a comparable SUV. If you think the difference in ride comfort is insignificant, then good for you. But don't assume the everybody else are unreasonable whiners. To each her/his own. This forum is meant to be a place where people can express their views, knowledge or opinions, and we should assume that posters mean well.

In my case, I have remedied this on my MYP by spending on coilovers and replacing uberturbine with 19" wheels. Here's my original post: how-well-does-a-new-2022-myp-ride.
@Layuger Did you mean this response for someone else? I rejected buying a Y in part because of the ride quality of the 2021 Q3 MYLR my wife and I tested. I'm well aware of the huge spectrum of ride quality out there. And also handling. And city roads including NYC roads.

On the M3P we bought instead I put Redwood Motorsports "Performance Sport" Öhlins DFV coilovers, and downsized the wheels 2" from 20" to 18", basically the same changes you made to your MYP. Personally - this is just my preference - I wouldn't buy a new family car where I felt like I needed aftermarket suspension though. The coilovers are a huge upgrade but the M3P I would still enjoy on stock suspension, if for some reason the aftermarket kit didn't work out.

I'm hopeful that I would enjoy a new MYP or MYLR on their latest suspension revision too, based on the comments here about the improvements!