Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does Autopilot work compared to the competition?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For this discuss, let's focus only on the most crucial components of Tesla's Autopilot technology: Traffic Aware Cruise Control (known as Adaptive Cruise Control by other automakers) and Auto Steer (known as Lane Keep/Centering Assist by other automakers), and ignore for now other features such as OTA software update, or automatic lane change, self parking, etc.,.

How well does Autopilot (AP2) work compared to the competition? (Jan 2018)

I know that most premium cars out there already have comparable technology, but have never had a chance to try them fully, and thus I hope see learn from the collective knowledge of the members here. Some example of comparable in production technologies from other automakers that I have heard of.

- Volvo's Pilot Assist II
- Mercedes' combination of Distronic and Steering Pilot
- Cadillac's Super Cruise
- Infiniti's combination of Direct Adaptive Steering, Lane Assist, and Intelligent Cruise Control

Reactions: bhzmark

Inferior to Tesla:
1) Maximum speed 80 MPH (Tesla=90 MPH)
2) Manual lane changes

3) Reddit poster thinks it's comparable to Prius but not Tesla: Nice automatic steering in simple straight line roads.

4) Press pedal to resume after a stop (as in stop-and-go traffic). If that happens in Tesla, that would drive me crazy!

Last edited:
- Infiniti's combination of Direct Adaptive Steering, Lane Assist, and Intelligent Cruise Control

I don't know 2018 but there's an old 2016 article about Infiniti driving on the same 50-mile track and got 93 disengagements while Tesla only got 29:

upload_2018-2-2_21-40-45.png

I'm embarrassed to not be aware of this. I knew of Nissan ProPilot: Automated Driving for Those in the Cheap Seats that debuted on the Nissan Serena minivan in Japan. Econo Autonomy: Nissan’s ProPilot Assist Brings Self-Driving Features to the Budget-Conscious touches upon it.

In the US, it's available on the '18 Rogue (Nissan ProPILOT Assist technology makes U.S. debut on 2018 Rogue – reduces the hassle of stop-and-go highway driving) and '18 Leaf, which looks like it's FINALLY started shipping in the US. (It's been shipping in Japan since Oct 2017.)

Found this review: On the Road With the 2018 Nissan Leaf's Driver Assist Tech. I did try out it when I test drove an '18 Leaf (not for sale yet in the US yet) in early Dec 2017.

I stumbled across
(he turns on ProPilot Assist about 1 minute in). I didn't get a chance to nor know about some of the other settings other than speed nor distance when I was driving. I definitely was not driving where it was safe to test the limits of the car warning me, slowing down and putting the hazard lights on.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tander
For this discuss, let's focus only on the most crucial components of Tesla's Autopilot technology: Traffic Aware Cruise Control (known as Adaptive Cruise Control by other automakers) and Auto Steer (known as Lane Keep/Centering Assist by other automakers), and ignore for now other features such as OTA software update, or automatic lane change, self parking, etc.,.

How well does Autopilot (AP2) work compared to the competition? (Jan 2018)

I know that most premium cars out there already have comparable technology, but have never had a chance to try them fully, and thus I hope see learn from the collective knowledge of the members here. Some example of comparable in production technologies from other automakers that I have heard of.

- Mercedes' combination of Distronic and Steering Pilot
- Cadillac's Super Cruise
Not sure what your intent with this question is but it might be worth adding secondary question with this (I'm thinking about this as I'm overdue for a new car); does anyone but Tesla plan to update/grade their systems over time? As I understand every Tesla made since late 16'? will eventually get a software update that makes it autonomous. Do Volvo/Mercedes etc. plan to/able to do this too?

Reactions: zmarty
TeslaBjørn tested Nissan ProPilot on Tenerife and it seems pretty solid and on par with AP. Upgradable in service centers according to the video.
The OTA updates at Tesla has until now only compensated for an unfinished system imo. FSD - we shall see, maybe 3-6 months!?

There's also the very recent auto-parking test:

Based on this video, it seems that ProPilot has superior functionality in this realm. It's a shame that Tesla does not match it.

Thanks everyone for your input. After following various links posted here and did some more reading. My conclusion is that Tesla's AP2 is in general way superior than the competition due to the ability to operate on a large set of situations with little restriction: speed (stop & go to highway speed) x geography (anywhere, not just some restricted area) x turn radius (not just slight turn) x low number of disengagements.

There are various minor things from other systems that I would love to have on AP2, all of which, I believe, can be done via OTA software update.

This 18 minute long video from Mercedes shows all of their available Driver Assistance System. They seem quite comprehensive, but still doesn't cover all scenarios that AP2 can cover. It does have some belt and whistle compared to AP2, but at the cost of adding more controls which is a bit oxymoron for a system that's supposed to relieve the driver from having to do too many things.

Reactions: zmarty
Do Volvo/Mercedes etc. plan to/able to do this too?

Sort of. My 2016 XC90 was “born” a Pilot Assist “1” car. A software update (for a small fee) enabled Pilot Assist 2. I have had a few other updates performed over the last year, and the state of PA2 has definitely improved.

Now, here is the hardware limitation. The 2017-18 Volvo XC90/S90/V90 and 2018 XC60’s have collision avoidance. This feature debuted on the new 2018 XC60, but owners of 2017 SPA Volvo’s got the feature added via a software update. Us idiots who bought MY2016’s have a different forward looking camera than the 2017-18’s have. Alas, no collision avoidance for MY16 owners.

I cannot comment on Mercedes, but my guess is, they are similar to Volvo. Merc might be able to add other features seeing as they use stereo cameras, but who knows?

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and tander
In August 2017 I spent 1 month trying to determine if there were any cars I would consider buying that came close to Tesla. Especially at a lower cost. Also, did not want to wait until mid 2018 for it. I looked at the Cadillac and the Mercedes mainly. My daughter has the Honda Pilot with some of these features but limited. For 2018 the Mercedes looked pretty good but I think some of the new features were only available on the 2018 S Model (very expensive and not sure as good as Tesla). I had previously purchased a 2016 Mercedes GLC without any driver assist for my wife who did not care about it. So at the annual surface around the time I was doing my research there were a few updates to the car. I ask him has he ever seen any software updates to the driver assist packages and he said no. Maybe he just did not know but seemed strange. Anyway, I ordered my Tesla at the end of Aug. 2017 and got it the end of Sept. 2017. At this point I do not think there is any cars that match Tesla. However, in mid 2019 I will look again when we turn in the Mercedes GLC. If Tesla does not improve and many other competitors are finally out in production she might not get a Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: NeverFollow
Remember that auto pilot is only one of the reasons to buy a Tesla.

They are rated the highest in safety, have fantasticly smooth and powerful all electric all wheel drive and can seat 7.

With the rear hatch they almost have SUV carrying capabilities.

Auto-Pilot is perhaps the feature having the most development potential in automobiles, finalizing in safe self driving cars. They will often leap frog each other as to which one has the "best" system, but all will be far better in the coming years.

Remember that auto pilot is only one of the reasons to buy a Tesla.
But for some of us it actually is (or better was pre-promise-disaster) the main reason.

As it stands now I´ve grown to hate traffic enough to simply give the first manufacturer that gives me lvl 4-5 autonomy on my daily commute my money, no questions asked.
I´d prefer my next car to be electric, but I´m willing to swallow the ICE pill if it turns out to be the only possibility to get what I want in the near future.

But for some of us it actually is (or better was pre-promise-disaster) the main reason.

As it stands now I´ve grown to hate traffic enough to simply give the first manufacturer that gives me lvl 4-5 autonomy on my daily commute my money, no questions asked.
I´d prefer my next car to be electric, but I´m willing to swallow the ICE pill if it turns out to be the only possibility to get what I want in the near future.
Yeah I don't personally like Tesla's that much (they are far too cool for me) but the idea of a car being able to get a software update and does self driving is very appealing to me, to the point of making any car that doesn't kind of obsolete. Considering that I'm glad I have a model 3 reserved. Although that said self driving is such a big thing I hope there will be aftermarket kits available not long after the real thing is available. Actually I hope someone comes up with a cheap way to add it and the government just makes it a mandatory upgrade to any car that isn't a collectors item or something.

So, I drove a 100D (HW2.5 car) today at a test drive event here in Buffalo. I can verify Autopilot blows Volvo’s Pilot Assist out of the water. It was able to handle so much more than PA2 can. Not to mention, not having to hit the gas or resume button when the car ahead of you moves...I’m sold.

FS: 2016 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription...

• Helpful
Reactions: croman