Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does the glass roof reflect heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just trying to stay on topic. Not sure why you pointed out that "he specifically asked about the roof glass on the MY." I never said he didn't.
Anyway, taken from Model Y | Tesla:
Premium Interior
[...]
Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
[...]
So to answer the original question: yes, the glass roof is very good at reflecting heat from the sun. Tesla has been using this glass on all their vehicles and it works well.

Reactions: Klau2
Very, very well. It's almost too dark for my tastes, but we'll see come August! Seriously, it's one of the best features of the car. Really, really nice and was very surprised at how comfortable it is under the sun in it. Parking with no shade is problematic, but we decided that we'll take the major good with the minor bad.

Good luck!

I'm wondering if the Model Y glass roof is very good at reflecting heat from the sun. If not, I may consider getting film installed to reflect heat.
Don't know about Y but my 3 cooks at 127F in cabin when outside temp is 85F. The other day, went up to 140F outside temp 88F.
My opinion, not good enough. Using A/C during day, when in office for even 4-hours, tends to drain battery quite a bit, in temps we are experiencing. Granted cabin is comfortable at 80F, but dropping it to 75F, you range gets eaten up fast. I'm checking to see if those clip on roof screens do anything.

I have 2018 Model 3 and it cooks in 85F outside, 127F in cabin, without A/C being on.
Problem is when office whole day and you turn climate control ON with A/C to keep cabin at 80F, battery drains considerably. Wish I had an answer to this.
I truly don't understand why you guys want to have ur AC on to keep cabin below a certain temperature when you are not even in the car. I am sure I am missing something when reading this thread.

I mean when you guys had ICE cars did you leave your car running all day while you were in the office.

Please someone help me understand or educate me on this...

I truly don't understand why you guys want to have ur AC on to keep cabin below a certain temperature when you are not even in the car. I am sure I am missing something when reading this thread.

I mean when you guys had ICE cars did you leave your car running all day while you were in the office.

Please someone help me understand or educate me on this...
ICE cars didn’t have all glass roofs. The cars that had a glass roof (only half the roof) had a sliding shade on the inside. I think it’s only now (since Tesla made it popular) there are panoramic roofs in ICE cars but they still have built in shades.

• Love
Reactions: Stuart Watson
I added a front and rear mesh shade to my Model 3 to cut down on the heat generated into the cabin. Inexpensive modification I found on Amazon.
Works well, don't even notice it is there.
I still don't get it. Does the car detect and wake up to cool the car if it gets above a certain temperature?

PS: I don't have MYLR yet which is why I am trying to understand this thread.

Reactions: JDEWD250
I still don't get it. Does the car detect and wake up to cool the car if it gets above a certain temperature?

PS: I don't have MYLR yet which is why I am trying to understand this thread.
yes, if you have the cabin overheat protection activated it will cool the car if it reaches 105F I believe is the threshhold. There may be other settings as well, i havent explored all that yet.
I will confirm, the glass roof gets VERY hot in the sun on a hot day. (Ga Summer for me). Even too hot to touch on the inside.
So the top of the cabin can get warm due to that ambient heat. There’s no insulation or barrier like a regular car has between the metal roof and cabin (liner). The glass gets hot, there’s no arguing it. I’m sure it could be worse without the tint and other shielding, but it’s hot.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
I’ve got a 2018 Model 3 and a 2022 Performance Model Y. My Model 3 has the roof tinted and the model Y doesn’t. It feels like there is a difference between the two cars here in SoCal. So in a few weeks I’m getting the roof tinted on the Y.

CCA4061B-B4DE-4387-880D-BFCAD8FF25D3.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: gt2690b
Just my opinion, but.
I have an MYP 2022 and live in central Florida. IMHO it’s better than nothing, but in the Florida sun it’s too hot to touch. I put a screen on it and that helped. Ultimately though when the car is parked I need that as well as a windshield screen to keep the car in the low 100’s. Right now it’s 92 outside my car is sitting in the sun and it’s only 100 inside. Prior to having anything the temp would get to 120+ without overheat. Added the sun roof screen and it dropped to 112-114. Added the windshield screen and it hasn’t been above 102 once that I’ve noticed