Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does the glass roof reflect heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 837020

View attachment 837020

Thanks, good stuff. I stand corrected. This is good to know since the Overheat protection can really draw the battery down here in Las Vegas. If they add settings later to adjust the temperature that will be a big plus. For now I will stop using it for temps below 100F. Appreciate the link!!!

Reactions: CaseyL
I can’t say for sure but it’s very possible. The sunroof has always been laminated for IR and sound blocking but I know they’ve changed the lamination of the side windows so they could well have changed the composition of the sunroof.
I would think that if the latest model Y roof is darker then it used to be someone would have measured it and commented by now. Actually, now I’m starting to wonder if mine is unusually transparent. Hearing all the accounts of people riding in hot sun with no problem makes me think maybe I got a defect? I have been in only two other teslas , and both were much darker.

Is it a well known fact that the new S is much darker then the Y? I have personally observed this side by side.

I don’t have any tools to measure mine, but the roof and hatch look like limo tint. You can’t see anything through them from the outside. Makes me wonder why people are concerned about people seeing stuff in their trunk so they tint it darker. It must be different because I could leave piles of cash sitting back there in mine and nobody would be able to see it.

Last edited:
It's funny how so many people here say that dark tint helps the car keep cool, it most certainly does not. Tints block light, not heat. Just touch the glass roof on a hot day and you'll understand. Elon should be putting solar panels on the roof, not glass.
It's not just tinted. It has IR protection too. There are a lot of existing threads with good info.

Reactions: RPM51
It's not just tinted. It has IR protection too. There are a lot of existing threads with good info.

I do know about the protective coatings on the roof glass, there is a good Tesla promo video on it also. I was just saying how dark my new June build is (comparatively).

Just did a factory tour at Giga Austin yesterday at the cyber roundup, wish I would have thought to ask someone there about any recent changes.

Is this new June build a Model Y? What are you comparing it to? Specifically, are you comparing to an older MY?
Model Y Performance. Just comparing based on posts of people having very different experiences with heat and wanting more tint. Plus non scientific observations at superchargers of cars parked next to me. Mine just typically looks darker. Something must be going on different if others are cooking in their cars and I am not. I worked for an hour on my laptop yesterday in full sun at noon in the giga Austin parking lot. Screen said it was 105. Top of my head was not even remotely warm.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk
If it was necessary to protect the components it would not be optional and you could not turn it off. Please show me in the manual where it says you need to keep the interior temp under a specified temp.
Thank you. Ppl need to stop being stupid about owning a Tesla. Thinking some most basic things has to be done differently. Yes, for some stuff, the car is different, but the basic are still the same. Yes, you can rotate the tires at any shop, yes you can change tires at any shop. No you don't need the AC on at all time to "protect" it.

Thank you. Ppl need to stop being stupid about owning a Tesla. Thinking some most basic things has to be done differently. Yes, for some stuff, the car is different, but the basic are still the same. Yes, you can rotate the tires at any shop, yes you can change tires at any shop. No you don't need the AC on at all time to "protect" it.
Yes! pretty much every other car on the road has multiple computers, too and no one ever gives a second thought about keeping them cool.

You're completely correct about the tires and other things, too.

It is a forum. Most people come here to discuss and ask questions. Others provide useful answers. But some prefer to insult folks with "stop being stupid". Not helpful imo....

I find the heat so objectionable that I cover the entire roof with a Heatshield product. I am very happy with the result.
They have ZERO info on their site — no photos, no description, no nothin’. Is the MY shade a one-piece or two? Does it sag? Do they use standard clips to affix it, or …?

I also find the heat pretty objectionable. I can feel direct sunlight heat on my head when the sun is hot, and that’s not real pleasant. Bigger problem is when the car sits in a parking lot during the day, and the roof glass gets roasting hot. Almost too hot to touch. And that really bakes my head. I want a good solution for that.

Reactions: boulder.dude
The Model Y heatsheild is a two-piece solution. Once piece covers the front half and one covers the back half. Each piece has 6 suction cups. There is no sag. It's not pretty, but it blocks 100% of the light and heat and works amazingly well. I have the white and silver version. The white interior looks good overhead. It's basically like you removed the sunroof from the car.

Reactions: Colorado Y