Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How well does the Tesla app work for you

How well is the tesla app working for you

• works all time time no issue

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • has some rarely issues (from time to time won't connect to the car)

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • has some issues routinely (fails to connect with the car on a regular basis...multiple times a day)

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • never works

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a Tesla owner for the past 3 years and just recently got a new model Y. I was hoping the my issues with the tesla app would be solved with a newer car, but I continue to have them with my model Y. Regularly I won't be able to connect the car (it will say something like last connected 2 hours ago) and so I can't remotely check in on the vehicle (see rate of charge, temperature, location, etc). I just actually tried right now to log off the app and then log back in, and now it won't even let me log in. So i was just wondering how well is the tesla app working for most people these days...

I've been a Tesla owner for the past 3 years and just recently got a new model Y. I was hoping the my issues with the tesla app would be solved with a newer car, but I continue to have them with my model Y. Regularly I won't be able to connect the car (it will say something like last connected 2 hours ago) and so I can't remotely check in on the vehicle (see rate of charge, temperature, location, etc). I just actually tried right now to log off the app and then log back in, and now it won't even let me log in. So i was just wondering how well is the tesla app working for most people these days...
I've had my MYP for 4 months now and do have some connecting issues similar to yours.

I did check the APP store a month ago and it had an update, which seemed to improve things a little. Sometimes I have to turn ON airplane mode, then turn it OFF again, to get the app to wake up.

I can always get into my car and drive it, so at least I'm not locked out if the app is giving me issues.

Reactions: andaconda
I experience routine issues. Routine as in, at least once per week there's an issue. The biggest issue is the phone key doesn't always unlock the car when I pull the door handle. I've experienced many instances of pulling on the door handle multiple times and the car does not respond. I have to launch the app and then try again. That almost always does the trick.

I experience routine issues. Routine as in, at least once per week there's an issue. The biggest issue is the phone key doesn't always unlock the car when I pull the door handle. I've experienced many instances of pulling on the door handle multiple times and the car does not respond. I have to launch the app and then try again. That almost always does the trick.

Does it happen less often if you turn off Android "battery optimization" for the app, or whatever the iOS equivalent is?

How does turning the phone's bluetooth off and back on work compare to re-launching the app?

The only issue I have with mine is checking on the Y during the day at work. Checking is perfectly fine, but when I leave work it won’t unlock the doors via Bluetooth. I also can’t drive with my phone. Easy fix is simply turning Bluetooth off and back on. My office is close to where I park the car so when I open the app I think it is connecting to the car. Then something happens when I don’t open any doors? If I don’t check the app during the day I have no issues. I run on iOS

Just today my car wouldn’t unlock and I couldn’t get the car to start without having to use my key card…and then while driving after a minute or so the app would show my car still being in park with 3 doors open…

The car must have good cell reception (AT&T) and of course you, with your phone must also have good reception. The WiFi in my garage is quite weak, so checking the car there is dicey. Often takes a minute to connect. On a trip to Yellowstone, virtually no cellular signal. Could never hook up to my parked car.

I'm pretty sure the phone uses 3 independent connections:
  • Internet connection for remote control such as the lock/unlock button and window status. The phone and car both need internet connections for this to work. You can test this by turning the phone's WiFi and cell radios off and on.
  • Direct Bluetooth connection (BLE?) for walk-up unlock, start the car, auto-select driver profile, and walk-away unlock. You can test this and maybe goose it into working by turning the phone's Bluetooth off and on.
  • Bluetooth pairing for hands free phone calls and audio streaming. Each driver profile can have a priority Bluetooth device to connect to for this.
The first two require Tesla login.