Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How were these Tesla's stolen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm. I'm thinking if/when I get my Tesla Model 3, I'll get a "dummy" RFID card/fob. One that will NOT activate the car or any of its devices. Maybe an old ID card from an employer from long ago (or perhaps I'll just get an RFID card that reads 0000 0000 0000.)

I'll place this dummy card somewhere at home, like taping it to the inside of my garage/kitchen door -- anywhere so its closer than my actual card. If any less-than-savory people come snooping by with an RFID repeater, it will pick up the closest card (the dummy), and repeating that card's signal it won't do anything to unlock the car.

-- Ardie

Hmmm. I'm thinking if/when I get my Tesla Model 3, I'll get a "dummy" RFID card/fob. One that will NOT activate the car or any of its devices. Maybe an old ID card from an employer from long ago (or perhaps I'll just get an RFID card that reads 0000 0000 0000.)

I'll place this dummy card somewhere at home, like taping it to the inside of my garage/kitchen door -- anywhere so its closer than my actual card. If any less-than-savory people come snooping by with an RFID repeater, it will pick up the closest card (the dummy), and repeating that card's signal it won't do anything to unlock the car.

-- Ardie

Model 3 cards are NFC, not rfid, and are exceedingly short range. It's not a concern for them. It would however be a concern for your phobe, unless they have a workaround.

We just need a simple way to disable the fob when it's not in use. Like a power switch, or a bluetooth beacon in the bedroom that disables the fob. The rest of the time, if I see a suspicious guy tailing near me with an antenna i'll know. Would be nice if Tesla simply sent a push notification when the car is started so we know something is up.

A Faraday shield will work - at home, leave the fob in a metal box or carry the fob in a pouch lined with metal mesh. This is a problem for other cars with this type of entry system, so you can find such fob pouches and wallets on popular online marketplaces.
Also good for when your storage place is 'too' close to the car (I have my spare in the kitchen, and I have one of those pouches to keep the car from being awake all the time...).