Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How wide is the bed (inside dimension)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In other threads, the widest I have heard mentioned is 57 inches wide which seems proportional to the photos and would be a nice wide amount of room between the wheels (but not as wide overall as conventional pickups have outside the wheel wells). I have yet to see a Tesla-published spec of the bed dimensions other than the nominal length being 6-1/2 feet. Conventional pickups have the wheel wells at around 49 or 50 inches apart for good reason - so as not to rub on the tires. Making the inside of the bed wider than that would require getting 4 more inches of clearance from the inner edge of the tire on each side. If they push the rear wheel track out wider, that could do it, or maybe they make the suspension more precise. A conventional solid rear axle needs to be able to tilt quite a bit and there is a lot of clearance around the wheels. Maybe with independent suspension, less side to side clearance is needed.

The inside ends near the tailgate also appear to taper out slightly wider.

The inside ends near the tailgate also appear to taper out slightly wider.

Examining some more actual photos (and the renderings), I am suspecting the interior sides of the bed taper slightly outwards vertically as well. It may be a few inches wider at the top than at the floor. I wonder if this explains some of the variance in bed width dimensions that have been reported.

Notice in this photo the slightly darker triangle back by the Tailgate. If the sides were vertical, that crease/seam between the side and the triangle would stay vertical. But its angled.

tesla-cybertruck-vault-pickup-bed.jpg

Reactions: parapyropig
Examining some more actual photos (and the renderings), I am suspecting the interior sides of the bed taper slightly outwards vertically as well. It may be a few inches wider at the top than at the floor. I wonder if this explains some of the variance in bed width dimensions that have been reported.

Notice in this photo the slightly darker triangle back by the Tailgate. If the sides were vertical, that crease/seam between the side and the triangle would stay vertical. But its angled.

tesla-cybertruck-vault-pickup-bed.jpg
I think that is because the tailgate slopes out, not the sides.

I think that is because the tailgate slopes out, not the sides.
Agreed. Also notice that the right and left edges of the tailgate are not angled. They are parallel with all of the anchor slots. Speaking of those slots, if we knew the spacing of them we could probably figure out the width of the bed with a fair amount of accuracy.

I still think this shows that the sides are sloped out. If the sides were vertical, then the triangle piece would be a rectangle and its front edge would be vertical, not angled.
Alright, I'll try to get you to come around another way.... For one, go look at photos of the tailgate from a quartering angle it slopes in from top to bottom from the outside.
And give this some thought..How could you tie ANYthing to the side of the bed if it is angled. And what would happen when you put something in there that fit at the top but didn't fit at the bottom?

This is a scantily-used thread with slim data, but has anyone found more reliable numbers - most particularly for the bed’s dimensions - than thrown around just after the initial Reveal?

This is a scantily-used thread with slim data, but has anyone found more reliable numbers - most particularly for the bed’s dimensions - than thrown around just after the initial Reveal?
I haven't seen anything published and for good reason I think. Nothing was set in stone until recently when Elon said the design was finalized. We should hear something in the next couple months when they're ready to show the final product or if we're lucky there will be some leaks beforehand.