Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will "Auto Park" work? Questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the most exciting feature to me with autonomous driving is the car being able to valet itself. How many times have you gone to a downtown restaurant and had to park 3-4 blocks away after spending 15 minutes driving circles looking for a parking spot?

I do however have some questions on how this would be implemented:

1. Will the car just go block by block looking for a parking spot? If so, how far away will it drive? It would be scary to see your car parked 8 miles away.
2. Will it be able to read No parking signs? What about signs that say No parking between 6am-9am, 1st Thursday of every month, etc.?
3. Pay-to-Park. Will the car avoid parking spaces that require payment?
4. Liability. If you summon your car back to you and find a dent or any damage, what happens? What if someone rear ends your car while its driving around looking for a parking spot. Even if the car alerts you, it could be difficult to walk several blocks away to the accident scene. Even more interesting is if this happens while summoning your car several miles away. What happens if you run into an autonomous car that has no driver? This is probably the section that I have the most questions with. I imagine someone in the back seat of their autonomous model s and their car is involved in an accident. Can the owner in the backseat be at fault?
5. Do you have any other questions about autonomous driving? Do you have any solutions?

Possible solutions I have.

1. Vehicle sets a grid pattern based off satellite images. User settings allow you to set how far you allow your vehicle to search for a spot before being notified of no spots available.
2. Parking signs will get barcodes that Tesla can scan and easily interpret data from instead of "reading" text. Such as QR code
3. Pay to park spots need some identifier that Tesla can see to determine they require a toll or payment
4. Liability-- I got nothing, too many scenarios and what ifs.