Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will Enhanced AP deal with snow & salt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far this year I've had more instances of both Steering and TACC unavailable due to snow or crude blocking the sensors than I think in the two previous winters put together. How will Tesla handle this reliably with the new sensors?

The front bumper in the AP2 vehicles is apparently slightly different and the radar is located in a harder area to obscure with road based crud. That's all I've heard and it might not do much. I'll tell you in a week! Chicago is covered with snow/salt/crud. We're getting more snow right around my delivery (it will certainly be a white Christmas).

Bjorn has had this problem with his X. He needs to chip away the snow on the front bumper for the radar to work. I think AP2.0 uses the same radar. Re the cameras: if they get covered, they should be useless.
Which tends to say that driverless or AP2 will have some rather huge gaping holes? It may work in ideal conditions but not many conditions less than ideal? Will filling this hole require additional sensors?

how about salt?

Exactly. A heated camera evaporating the water away will result in a salty white crust over the camera - even if the roads are otherwise clear of snow there will be a wet mixture of melted snow and salt brine on the road for several hours after a snowfall, and vehicles ahead throw it into the air as a salty mist.

I really want to see Tesla try it's cross-country autonomous drive in the winter. I80 across the northeast (yes, a few more superchargers are needed first). It would be a good experience for their engineers.

If summoning the car over public roads is really going to be a thing, then there isn't going to be anyone present to clean off the sensors.

Maybe this could be a new service line for the AAA. "Triple A? Yeah, my autonomous car is stranded on the highway at mile marker 240 with no-one in it, can you have someone stop by and clean the crud off the cameras?"

I have a refresh AP1.0 car, and I can confirm the radar is easily blocked by ice. When following other vehicles that kick up water from the road, ice builds up in the flat front and grill slit area. I noticed when TACC refused to reengage during a long drive.

I was able to get the system working by knocking the ice out of the grill slit. I thought the radar unit was located lower behind the bumper cover, but opening the slit seemed to work enough to restore operation.

I think it's a fair criticism and one noted by NHTSA that the system doesn't seem capable of knowing when it's sensors have been compromised. In this case it didn't notify me and shut down TACC while operating and I'm not sure it would have properly stopped for a slowing car just prior to my fix. I'm sure that will be improved in AP2.0 but if the California-centric mindset persists as it has for other topics, I can see this continuing to be an issue.

I think the most important bit is for the system to recognize when it can't function optimally and notify the driver. Seems to be doing this quite well today.

I wonder if a rotating lens cover could work assuming it's made of something that won't scratch? The two options I can think of are disk and ring. These are used frequently on sports cams mounted to F1 (and now Formula E) cars or similar. One drawback is that they have to be cleaned frequently on the inside and the squeegee has to be replaced fairly often. I'd think they could be made self cleaning on the inside but no idea if there's an option to replacing the squeegee.