Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will Model 3 improve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You asked about a possible price decrease after the Tax Credit is reduced.

I do not expect that would be in Tesla's plans. They will effectively reduce the costs of entry by releasing a base model, near the $35,000 range. It will have a smaller battery and range, less expensive wheels/tires, plainer interior etc. The cost will be less, but also the car will offer less.

They will maintain demand by first expanding the countries that they service. First to the Left hand drive countries, and soon after will beging producing a Right Hand Drive model.

While they are expanding to service the World marketplace they will also beging to roll out the small SUV model Y. This should have even far greater demand than the Model 3. It will command higher prices and enter the super popular Small SUV marketplace.

Then they will roll out the Pickup Truck. These are the most popular vehicle in the USA.

Along the way they will be adding more Giga Factories to provide for more efficient and less expensive production in low cost labor markets.

Their plan is solid, and Tesla will become the most aspirational vehicles to purchase world wide.

When you have a chance to grab the brass ring, your often are wise to take it.

Changes they've already implemented since the Model 3 was available for purchase.

-Aluminum trim behind steering wheel column
-Matte Emblem on steering wheel
-Alcantara Headliner switch
-Rear IR Glass change
-Trunk Garnish
-Seat change
-Suspension Change

Announced changes for 2019:
-Air Suspension
-Different designed SR battery than originally anticipated
-Track mode
-RHD
-AP3 Chip

Things that may come for 2019
-Heated Steering wheel
-update to LR battery (due to SR battery upgrades)
-P3D spoiler and badging (#Elontime)

Reactions: Carl_Drogo
Right now, the Tesla Model 3 is about 5 years ahead of other cars. I am not certain they will maintain this lead. If customers don't buy these cars they certainly won't maintain their lead. If you are looking for a car that is 6 years ahead, I guarantee it will never come, as a car 5 years ahead had only appeared once in my (long) lifetime so far ...

My car was perfect at delivery and was built 8/2018 on the "tent" production line.

You have to stop thinking in the ICE-car mindset. ICE-carmakers dump a car on you, designed (best case) 3 years ago, and NEVER improve it after the purchase. Tesla cars get software upgrades and are renewed frequently - one or twice a year. So you will not be getting an instantly-obsolete vehicle, frozen in time, like you always got before, from the ICE car-makers. For that reason alone, I would recommend a Tesla.

It goes much deeper than that. #1 in NHTSA crash test performance. #1 in range. #2 in empg. #1 in its class for cargo area. #1 in price/performance at most pricepoints, both for ICE and electric cars. Extremely cute, very similar to a Porsche 911, except it has a REAL backseat, and a REAL trunk. IF you expect Tesla to get to #0, I don't think that's going to happen. Value doesn't always mean cheap. Since the car is already superior at every pricepoint, I think it's a little bit loco to expect Tesla to drop prices when they need the money to pay off their factory.

Last edited:
I've had two Model 3's so far and honestly my second one is much better after numerous updates, though a few drawbacks. Honestly nothing crazy big besides seats and suspension and that was changed rather quickly, so my money is on Tesla keeping design "frozen" for the next 9-12 months or so at least.

Improvements of new (Sept '18) Model 3 vs Dec '17:
-Better seats all around
-Softer suspension, even on 20" with P3D+
-Small trim piece behind steering wheel on edge of wood
-Different velcro on mobile charging bag so it doesn't rip your felt
-Probably a few more i'm forgetting

Drawback:
-Super nimble steering feel (but felt every bump...)
-Alcantara headliner :(

Last edited:
Reactions: MXWing
Drawback:
-Super nimble steering feel (but felt every bump...)

You mentioned the softer suspension, even on the 20" P3D+ which seems to contradict your note about "super nimble steering feel (but felt every bump)" remark. Are you saying you can feel every bump through the steering wheel or the suspension? I guess I'm just not following. Sorry to nitpick, but I am honestly curious since I'm probably going to order soon. Thx.

You mentioned the softer suspension, even on the 20" P3D+ which seems to contradict your note about "super nimble steering feel (but felt every bump)" remark. Are you saying you can feel every bump through the steering wheel or the suspension? I guess I'm just not following. Sorry to nitpick, but I am honestly curious since I'm probably going to order soon. Thx.

Sorry I was confusing. I felt every bump in my old Model 3, the new one is much smoother.

Current one still handles great, but my older one was even more "race like"

Reactions: Carl_Drogo