TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How will Tesla Motor inject new models into the production line?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by tdelta1000, May 26, 2012.

1. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Tesla Motors how will the company inject the up and coming Model X into the current production line??? Will TM have certain days allotted for Model X Production or will the Model X have its own production line?

2. zack

zack Member

Seems like it would be a nightmare to switch out the tooling for the aluminum stamping machines. If I was doing it, I'd build an entirely new line. They have so much extra space, it's really breathtaking.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Seems a logical choice, especially if Model S production is running full steam.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

In the Toyota plant in Kentucky, they have different cars coming down the same assembly line. I don't see why Tesla couldn't do the same. I suspect that the stamping is done in batches and then moved to a staging area.

5. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Most of the large manufacturers like GM use the same final asembly line for multiple models. This becomes even more likely with small volume production similar to the numbers Tesla will be producing.
    The Chevrolet Volt is produced in the same line in Hamtrack as other GM models.
    Chevrolet-Volt-Production-500x318.jpg chevy-volt-obama-628.jpg
    It seems they make a red Buick after every Volt! :wink:

6. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I also think that TM may have to build a stamping line for the X but after the part are welded together I can see them going down the same line.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They have robots at the presses for loading and unloading parts and tooling. Perhaps they can simply load in different tooling and continue running...

8. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

I assume the dies for stamping are not changed per car. Instead, there might be a second press line. Or they retool the press for batches of several hundred cars. The Tesla assembly process appears to be flexible enough to have different models run through the same part of line where possible (e.g. welding, paint job, assembly).

9. XrstalLens

XrstalLens Model S P1327 VIN P01867

At the October factory tour they demonstrated how they can replace the stamping dies in mere minutes. They're on these massive carts that roll on rails. I believe even for the Model S they swap out the dies and do different body panels in batches. There aren't that many stamping machines, after all (certainly not one per body panel). They definitely do not stamp body parts linearly with the production of the vehicles (i.e. stamp out one whole body, then the next body, etc.), but instead they run the different body parts in batches which are then assembled later.

They also showed how the robots can quickly swap out tools from a supply of tools (including arms custom fitted for each panel), so it appeared to me that they've been thinking from the beginning about supporting different car models and I don't think it will be much of a stretch for the assembly line to support it.

10. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Great information...