Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will Tesla Perform a Right Turn on Red?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just pondering something....If / when FSD arrives, how will Tesla perform a right turn (or left turn) on red? Is there a camera that can see far enough to the right or left across the intersection to see the oncoming traffic or will the car just sit there and wait for a green light before proceeding?

Hadn't ever thought of this before but now really wondering how this would work.

Was just pondering something....If / when FSD arrives, how will Tesla perform a right turn (or left turn) on red? Is there a camera that can see far enough to the right or left across the intersection to see the oncoming traffic or will the car just sit there and wait for a green light before proceeding?

Hadn't ever thought of this before but now really wondering how this would work.

No idea. Time will tell...

This was demonstrated and commented on at the autopilot meeting a few months ago. The cameras can see, and the car may pull out just a little for even better visibility. There's a visual of the camera vision area somewhere and it's pretty obvious that it is covered well.

Seeing across intersections to the left and right for stop signs and right on red situations is the principle purpose of the B-pillar cameras.

They should be up to the task as long as the intersection doesn't have something blocking them (in which case the car may have to pull forward just like a human would.

And this is just one of thousands of edge cases that FSD needs to handle. Sorry Elon, but this feature complete/full self driving by end of year stuff won’t happen.
I think about those edge cases too. 25MPH school zones but only when children are present, parked cars partially blocking lanes (especially residential areas), backing out of parking spots with oncoming traffic which doesn't care to yield (wish Tesla had rear radar for this), two cars backing up out of parking spots at the same time towards each other, etc. Don't get me wrong, I already paid for FSD - but it seems a long way away.......

Reactions: darxsys
I think about those edge cases too. 25MPH school zones but only when children are present, parked cars partially blocking lanes (especially residential areas), backing out of parking spots with oncoming traffic which doesn't care to yield (wish Tesla had rear radar for this), two cars backing up out of parking spots at the same time towards each other, etc. Don't get me wrong, I already paid for FSD - but it seems a long way away.......

Lots of opportunities in between, though. All I really need from it is level 3 freeway driving.

Tesla could geofence out the school zones and make humans drive them, or have the driverless cars navigate around them before they get the NN trained to handle them well.

Im guessing the first fsd releases will prob just hold at a red light for right turn saying “unsupported maneuver”. Even more interesting will be unprotected left turns. If it can pull that off that will be amazing. My guess is it will be an “unsupported manuever“ and just wait. Nav on autopilot has similar “unsupported manuever”

.. And there are intersections here in Texas that you can do a Left on red. Our little Neural networks have a lot to learn..

I suspect they’ll be making a lot of money from Tesla drivers with the school buses in Dallas as well.

There are a few spots that are infamous for catching human drivers so the neural net doesn’t stand a chance.