Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will Tesla sell their cars in the future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In order to execute this "home delivery" strategy it would seem that Tesla would need to procure at least 4 warehouses all across the US (Southwest, Mid West, North East, South East).

B) can be solved with demo cars, which I assume dealers will get. I guess if they allow the sale of demos then A) can be solved as well. I agree though, SOME inventory will be needed for those types of buyers -- though at the higher price points more buyers are likely used to ordering.

I hope that as things get underway and the backlog is cleared that the wait from order to delivery is a month or less.
There might be an interesting inversion of the normal pattern here. A made-to-order Tesla might be cheaper than a demo rather than the reverse that is customary.

How so? I'd imagine the demo would have more miles on it etc so should be discounted (did Tesla discount demo roadsters)? Or do you mean they're likely fully loaded?

Yes, I had a similar thought. Demo cars use to be fully loaded. If the occasional, affluent, but impatient customer takes the bait, he probably pays more than for a vehicle optioned to his needs, even with a "used car" discount.

Keeps up the boutique image I suppose, but while it *sounds* good, that's sort of "meh" in reality. A 125k roadster (guessing at numbers here) with 10,000 miles can't be considered new, but Tesla would sell it for 115k which doesn't totally seem an appropriate discount for a vehicle with that many miles.

At that rate, as a buyer, I'd finance the extra 10k and get the sucker new. Then again, I guess if you're considering a demo in the first place, there's probably some obstacle preventing you from buying new like impatience or lack of production in the case of the roadster.

For some comparison, my dealer wants to sell me a 2010 A8L that had around a 90k sticker new for about 73k with 6400 miles on the odometer. Single owner (the dealership owner), so I know it's in fairly good interior condition. That's about $2.65 per mile.

Still, I like the no-nonsense approach to selling (flat price on new, flat price on demos). The for-sale-by-owner market should take care of the hagglers.

long time ago i bought 2 cars directly from Audi each car got more then 30 000 miles , but only 1 year old for halfe of the new price
... interior was like new ... Diesel engine like new ...

that kind of cars are not available anymore , cause Audi sell it right away if they reach 6000 miles ....

I would imagine if say, the Boise store had a red S on the floor they would sell it. Maybe they would alloow the customer to drive off in it maybe the buyer would have to wait till the next day. The factory would have a supply of identical backup cars premade that they could get to the store within 24 hours.

I would imagine if say, the Boise store had a red S on the floor they would sell it. Maybe they would alloow the customer to drive off in it maybe the buyer would have to wait till the next day. The factory would have a supply of identical backup cars premade that they could get to the store within 24 hours.

Which the buyer would be better off taking, no? Especially if they couldn't pick it up until the next day. Unless they were getting a serious mileage discount.

Which the buyer would be better off taking, no? Especially if they couldn't pick it up until the next day. Unless they were getting a serious mileage discount.

I'm just trying to placate the impulse buyer. The buyer would not know about the replacement car. This scheme allows rotation of floor stock. Tesla might not even give much of a discount for a low mile demo.

As a teen I was in the Ferrari warehouse. It was in LA near the docks and had about 80 new 308s in all different colors and sizes. It was weird because the car felt less valuable with so many of them. Which is exactly why the dealerships have so few of them on the floor.

How so? I'd imagine the demo would have more miles on it etc so should be discounted (did Tesla discount demo roadsters)? Or do you mean they're likely fully loaded?
I'll assume you're referring to my comment.

My meaning was that they don't plan to keep "to sell" vehicles at the stores, but if you really want it now you can for a significant premium.

Ya, I was... Given that and what vfx said... I'd imagine you'd have to really want to walk out that day with the car to pay a premium for a used vs less for a new (especially if they could get the same new one in a day -- a month I could see)... But I've seen stranger.

I bought my Roadster on impulse. So impulse buying is real. I could have continued to drive my Zap Xebra, but I was tired of the power limitation. I had reached the end of my tether waiting for Nissan, six months after the initial promised delivery, and a month after the third promised delivery; and I had just received more bad news (in a string of bad news) about the Porsche EV conversion. So on impulse I flew to Seattle, test drove it, and ordered an orphan in Chicago, which was delivered to me at my home in Spokane for $600, in addition to the standard $1,950 destination fee.

I'd MUCH rather have taken the car right there and then and driven it home, if it had been in Seattle, and if it could have made the drive. For me, there's nothing special about a home delivery. I wanted the car as soon as I could get it.

For customers who don't want to wait, there's always likely to be some orphan cars, if they don't get snapped up too quickly. I had no firm decision made in advance about options or colors. I just wanted a Roadster and I wanted it immediately. I lucked out on color (Very Orange) and accepted the "infotainment" system I didn't want.

Critical Mass

I was thinking that it would be really, REALLY cool if there we got together say 100, maybe 200+ roadsters and model S's and just cruised through a noisy city like SF of San Jose - SILENTLY
and show everyone what a difference it would make if all cars were EVs or Teslas!

It would be kind of the opposite of a Harley group where you hear the rumble coming from miles away.

I think free advertising 4 Tesla is the way they will sell!

I'm sure Tesla will quickly figure out what the most popular colors and combinations are. They could produce one or two for each store for the impulse buyer and tell them' instead of a three month wait, if you like this configuration, you can have it now'.

I was thinking that it would be really, REALLY cool if there we got together say 100, maybe 200+ roadsters and model S's and just cruised through a noisy city like SF of San Jose - SILENTLY
and show everyone what a difference it would make if all cars were EVs or Teslas!

It would be kind of the opposite of a Harley group where you hear the rumble coming from miles away.

I think free advertising 4 Tesla is the way they will sell!
I like this idea. I'd invite any and all EVs to participate. Only, I can't drive to S.F. How about Spokane, anyone? The Roadster is my daily driver, so people see it all the time. But a hundred Roadsters and Leaf's and DIY EVs all at once would be cool. :)