Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will you put your Model S to use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work from home 5 days a week so...

When one or more of the kids get up early I'll take them for an hour long drive until everyone else in the house is awake. Other than that it will be the general family car. Trips to see friends and family, the grocery store (parking in the back corner) and church etc.

Rides will be given to all who ask. :)

It will be my daily driver - 30 mile round trip each day, plus we will probably use it most of the time on weekends instead of the Honda Pilot.

And an added plus for those who will only be driving a short distance - you will not have to worry about carbon buildup inside an ICE engine that never gets fully fully warmed up.:smile:

About 15-20 miles roundtrip for me in a normal day, depending on whether im on the hook for picking up the kids or not. It will definitely be my daily driver, and also looking forward to seeing if we can stretch it to be the "visit family" car. 120 miles to the in-laws should be a no brainer for the 60kwh pack, but 180ish to phili to visit the rest of the wifes family might be interesting.

Demolition Derby. Do you think that voids the warranty? Any tips for protecting the battery cooling radiator? Just drive backwards?

Now, now, don't drive angry.... :D

groundhog_day.jpg

Typical SF Bay Area profile: 65 mile school run + commute on week days. Anywhere from 20-120 miles on each day of the weekend including occasional trips to SF, Santa Cruz, Napa and Brentwood (very rarely to Monterey).

If a Supercharger pops up on I-80 or CA-50, I see myself taking my 60 kWh pack Model S to Tahoe a couple of times a year.

M,W,Th,F = 10-20 miles.
Tues=120 miles.
Sat=200-210 mile round trip to Chicago every other week or 20 miles in town.
Sun=180 mile round trip to visit father in law, 220 miles if visiting daughter also, 250 miles if visiting my parents also. Chargers at daughter's and my parent's.

We drive a lot. I will try to wear the car out.

About 30 minutes each way for me.
Weekends -- purely for "the drive" and to get the kids to gymnastics.

Same here--well, minus the kids. ;-) I anticipate using it for errands and visiting friends around town, whereas right now we use my other half's small SUV. Also there'll be the occasional 220-270 mile (4-5 hour) trip to visit friends and relatives, maybe 2-5 times a year. Once I make sure to find a charge station along the way, to be on the safe side

And I hope to plot a route-with-charging so I can go to Boston (437 miles, 8-9 hours; we'll see...), maybe 1-2 times a year to see friends (hate flying).

What I'm looking forward to doing:
1. Driving in near silence for a change

Good point, I haven't thought about this much, but my Miata...well, not a car known for a quiet road experience. But the Model S! It'll be more peaceful, easier to hear music, etc. :-D

I have a ~35 mile roundtrip commute that will be made that much more relaxing in the Model S
Weekend quick trips into DC (40 miles roundtrip)
Weekend getaways to NYC (250 miles one way) /Philly (164 miles one way)

There seems to be a lot of charging along the route to NYC and Philly but most of them that I have found are Chevy and Nissan dealers. I think with careful driving that the 60kwh pack will get me to Philly easily but the NYC (the trip we love to take the most) will take some planning.

That sounds a lot like my planned commute :biggrin: but i do plan a road trip in the first couple of months to Key West just for fun....

40 miles round trip commute daily. Weekends spent towing kids to various places. A couple of times a year a trip to Orlando, where I'll need to figure out charging locations. Looking forward to all of the above!

Hi Guys,

Well being retired I don't commute. I do plan on taking a lot of road trips to fun Florida places.

You folks have fairly low reservation numbers so I'm counting on you to post your experiences regarding charging at various resorts, etc. I figure we'll have a Florida thread to discuss the Good, the Bad and the Ugly of early adopter road trips. :wink:

Larry

[orig posted in other thread but remembered this one and seemed more appropriate...]

my personal use for the model S will be everyday commuter (which will vary from 10 miles to 60 miles RT depending on job, i'm freelance..) and will use it for whatever else i possibly can, shopping, airport runs, etc etc. with my driving style (i've had bmw's for the last 12 years), which is aggressive speed-wise -- not aggressive towards other drivers, even though i live in los angeles! -- i expected closer to 200 mi range on the 85kWh batt anyway. i don't feel comfortable going less than 80 if i can. the cars i've had even feel more at home at those speeds than say, 60, lol. i expect to punch the accel often on the MSP and feel fully justified in doing so. i happen to like to drive, i enjoy a smooth, exciting, in control, driving experience. that's why i'm buying this car. it's been a longtime dream to be all electric. i have solar electricity in my main home in ca and in both family vacation spots (no we're not rich, just have planned for years and have modest cabins/cottages in maine and montana, i feel grateful and lucky..) so driving on photons feels so fully one with the earth and guilt or concern free that it makes me almost giddy with the thought.....

and when i need to drive to montana or camping in yosemite or whathaveyou, i will rent an ICE machine and feel perfectly fine that i'm using the right machines for the right jobs. i should only need to rent once or twice a year and other than that will pass gas stations by with nary a glance and love every second of it.

fwiw!

Last edited:
I've been thinking that the S might actually be an ideal car camping car, especially if you're camping at spots that have electrical hookups. The car has mega storage and room for my family to comfortably ride. And if there's a 220 hookup at the campsite, you've essentially got "free" electrons to do any kind of day trips you can imagine.

Wonder if I can find a bike rack that will work on the S? Oh, the possibilities.

Wonder if I can find a bike rack that will work on the S? Oh, the possibilities.
You should read the roof rack thread. It appears that the pano roof (at least) has the same mounting points used on some Mercedes vehicles, so you should be able to get Thule or other standard-system mounts for a roof rack.

There's been a good discussion about hitch-mounted bike racks on the Model S - Hitch discussion thread.

So, RV park will cost you $0-50 per night depending upon location.

I don't see that as free, but close enough. Just be sure to have the kids wipe the themselves off before getting back in the car. I know mine would be challenged on this front.

So, RV park will cost you $0-50 per night depending upon location.

I don't see that as free, but close enough. Just be sure to have the kids wipe the themselves off before getting back in the car. I know mine would be challenged on this front.

I guess, more accurately, what I was going for was "no additional cost". :smile:

Robert.Boston said:
You should read the roof rack thread. It appears that the pano roof (at least) has the same mounting points used on some Mercedes vehicles, so you should be able to get Thule or other standard-system mounts for a roof rack.

There's been a good discussion about hitch-mounted bike racks on the Model S - Hitch discussion thread.

Thanks. I'll check out those threads.