Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will you use your Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on using mine on a 70 mile commute each way. That means about 40k miles a year. Roughly 60 miles is on cruise control at 75mph. I will need the AWD version so the cost may be quite a bit higher. We get quite a bit of snow. I currently have a Corolla with 150k miles now. It's a '12 model.

It's a tough decision to splurge on the 3 when I know it will be driven so much.

What are your thoughts?

Props, cool idea for a new thread.

Mine will in no particular order:
- Commute 13 kms per day (yes, that's round trip, not much savings there)
- Get flogged senseless on back roads whenever time permits
- Taking down the odd overly-smug muscle car at the lights
- Taking on the entire spectrum of AWD performance cars at my club's winter TSD rallies
- Taking me and the better half to explore all the great places we've not yet seen in America via the amazing Supercharger network (and hopefully more of Canada when we can actually go coast to coast by SC!)
- Going anywhere, anytime I can to show people first hand how affordable EVs have finally come of age and convince them to join the rEVolution

My commute 4 days a week is about 22-25 miles round-trip. One day a week, it's around 100. I will admit it, I hope to get mine relatively soon to have that early-adopter cool factor. I know I won't have it for long, as I expect California will be crawling with Model 3s within the first year.

Mostly as a daily driver for the school run across town, so I won't be taking it too far. On the rare sunny day (even England gets one of those per year) I may take it on some of the great mountain roads around here, and see how it compares to the go-kart'ish hatchback I own now.

it will be my only car. Commuting + frequent mountain travel. My commute is 11 miles each way with just over 2500 ft of elevation loss/gain. Mtn roads and snow = AWD. I also drive 1-3x/wk from home to trailheads gaining a few thousand feet in elevation along the way. The steep, rough roads, and sometimes high winds and cold temps take their toll on range.

Occasional trips using SC network across Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona.

"Splurge" on the Model 3 because is it driven so much?? I don't know about the difference between gasoline and electricity prices in Maryland of course, but in Europe the 'consumption' of a Model S is around the same price as 3 liters of gasoline per 100 km (which is about 3 times less than the consumption of, say, a BMW 5 series or Audi A5). That (plus certain tax incentives) makes the Model S (with a sticker price double of that of a BMW 5 series or Audi A5) actually generally cheaper than a BMW 5 or Audi A5 (break-even is at around 30,000 km per year). Model 3 would certainly win that battle even if you do only half of that distance per year. Add having Autopilot for 120 out of 140 daily miles you mention and it becomes a no-brainer, I would really think!

My wife and I have a policy that whoever has the longest distance to do any day, gets to ride the Model S, and the other one takes the ICE car. So actually having a Tesla can even reduce the cost of your second family car as well...

BTW: AWD makes sense in snow, of course, but winter tires are much more important (and less expensive) than AWD. We did all of our skiing holidays in the Alps with our RWD Model S (on winter tires) and the car never had any problem with snow or ice, despite its weight of 2.3 tons. It actually managed it a lot better than my former BMW 523i RWD, and at least as good a my previous Lexus RX450h AWD (both also on winter tires).

I will use it by sitting in the driver's seat, putting both hands on the steering wheel, putting it in gear, pressing on the accelerator to make it move forward, and the brake pedal as necessary (sparingly due to regenerative braking).

Reactions: Model 3
I plan on using mine on a 70 mile commute each way. That means about 40k miles a year. Roughly 60 miles is on cruise control at 75mph. I will need the AWD version so the cost may be quite a bit higher. We get quite a bit of snow. I currently have a Corolla with 150k miles now. It's a '12 model.

It's a tough decision to splurge on the 3 when I know it will be driven so much.

What are your thoughts?

I am in basically the same situation as you. Just no snow. I will however be going AWD for the performance. Ive driven a RWD and AWD Model S and would not go with a RWD electric sports car. Too much torque.

What are your thoughts?
Make sure yours has autopilot, I used to drive 35k/year, 45 one way to work, and would have loved it.

~40 miiles/day roundtrip commute 4 days/week. Plenty of exploring, since New England is already connected pretty well to the SC network, and AUTOPILOT for the sometimes brutal overnight "over the river and through the woods" trip we make to see the wife's family in VA at least twice/year. Of the 600 or so miles, I should be able to use AP for ~500 of it, maybe more by the time the Model 3 and AP 2.0 come out.

Edit: Forgot one....blowing the dogs' MINDS when I get out of the car and walk a few feet away, and then Summon it......

Using as a second car for around the town stuff. My '08 Infiniti G35xS I still really like, runs very fast and awesome, and only 84k miles on it.
Truth be told I do not drive that much (other than a 4k mile trip last summer), currently work from home (and I live next to a metro, so work is never far), and all family is far enough away where an airplane makes more sense.
The Model 3 gas savings are almost irrelevant.

But I want a second 2nd car, so why not the Model 3. Might get AWD, but the G kills it in the snow. We'll see.
Wife has a 2012 Ford Focus and she may get an Outback or similar in the future.
Really the Model 3 for me is a really a 2nd car the happens to be electric and fast with neat features., but maybe that is the point of a Tesla.
Worse case I buy some other fast ICE car instead of a 3.