Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will you use your Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Daily commute vehicle where I will be selling my 2008 Chrysler Aspen 5.7L HEMI V8 (95K miles). It gets about 14MPG. My r/t commute for work is 12 miles and add in the occasional extra mile or two for when the Mrs. and I go to lunch. She's keeping her 2005 Dodge Durango 5.7L HEMI V8 (94K miles) as my younger stepdaughter will learn to drive on it (as her older sister did). My vehicle is usually the trip vehicle. We take it to Disney and primarily use it for our weekend errands. It's nice that some of the Disney parks have EV parking as well.

My wife uses her vehicle for daily work (we work for the same municipality) commute and softball trips.

My employer, a municipality, has installed a Blink Level 2 charger but in an effort to promote green vehicles, is paying for its usage. I've kept my last two vehicles a minimum of 7 years each and I plan to keep the 3 for that or longer.

I can see myself just taking off for a drive--just for the heck of it.

Last edited:
Ours will replace our second car, currently a VW GTI. My wife doesn't like driving a car as big as the S, hopefully the 3 will be small enough to please her. I'd really like to get the ICE out of our lives and out of our garage. (Especially VW, bah.)

It's a tough decision to splurge on the 3 when I know it will be driven so much.

As Carl points out upthread, the more you're going to drive it the easier it is to justify on a purely financial basis (fuel and maintenance costs). Besides that, the more hours you spend behind the wheel every year the more it makes sense to ensure those hours are as delightful as possible. Splurge away.

Also, apropos one of the other comments about how the 3 would be a second car, supplementing an ICE (I forget the model and am too lazy to find the comment again now), I'll make the prediction that the roles will quickly be reversed and the ICE left in the garage most of the time. It's a common experience for S drivers.

Reactions: Red Sage
Daily driver/commuter, kid shuttle, Minneapolis to Chicago family trips, etc. My wife and I have been discussing a two EV approach with a plan to rent a minivan for family road trips along non-SC routes. In a perfect world we would replace our Ford Flex with a Model S for the family car and replace our Forester with a Model 3 or Leaf.

I just realized because I live on the east coast and am not interested in getting a performance model, I might not see my Model 3 until late 2018 when my older daughter becomes eligible for a learners permit. My Model 3 might not end being a car I drive very much at all!

But, to answer the question I want to put my daughter in the safest possible car while she is learning to drive which is a Tesla and the Model 3 will be just in time. The new question becomes will she drive it, or will it ....

Last edited: