Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will you use your self driving car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pretty optimistic about L5 autonomy being obtainable in the next couple of years, but how will you make the best use of it? That hour commute to work will actually be productive instead of being a massive time-suck. No more DUIs; if no one is require to be in the drivers seat, going to Napa and wine tasting wouldn't require a DD. Stuck without your car? Just summon it!

Assuming that L5 is possible, what do you plan on doing with it?

I am pretty optimistic about L5 autonomy being obtainable in the next couple of years, but how will you make the best use of it? That hour commute to work will actually be productive instead of being a massive time-suck. No more DUIs; if no one is require to be in the drivers seat, going to Napa and wine tasting wouldn't require a DD. Stuck without your car? Just summon it!

I plan on having it drive me around... obviously haha.

I think Tesla will succeed with it in the next couple years but that doesn't mean it will be available in most places. My guess is if you happen to live in Florida it may be available, most other places not. I think it will be a few years after before it's legal nationally. It will be revolutionary in big cities where it's always a pain to drive.

I think Tesla will succeed with it in the next couple years but that doesn't mean it will be available in most places. My guess is if you happen to live in Florida it may be available, most other places not. I think it will be a few years after before it's legal nationally. It will be revolutionary in big cities where it's always a pain to drive.

Most places don't have laws specifically outlawing self driving... so it's still legal in most places but the driver has to obey all laws, remain attentive, and be physically in the car. Some states are trying to create initial laws regarding autonomous cars as we speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: wesley888
I will use it in lieu ofan airplane. I really think self driving cars will further drive the nail in the coffin of personal aviation for trips up to several hundred miles. For the longest time I've planned on eventually buying a plane to go from LA to Mammoth - but a L5 Tesla will eliminate that desire.

Reactions: bradbrok
Most places don't have laws specifically outlawing self driving... so it's still legal in most places but the driver has to obey all laws, remain attentive, and be physically in the car. Some states are trying to create initial laws regarding autonomous cars as we speak.
Luckily those of us in California will probably be the first place that it gets rolled out. There's laws being drafted for California right now, and they're going to have discussions with the companies leading that transition.

Reactions: wesley888
• Drive the kids to school and activities, and pick them up.
• Drive the elderly people (some of them are 80+ years old) in my life around.
• Pick me up when I've had a drink or two.
• Maybe put it in the Tesla Network for some of the day.
• Drop me off somewhere where finding parking is difficult.