Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How will you vote in TSLA+SCTY merger ?

How will you vote in TSLA+SCTY merger

• Yes - TSLA buys SCTY

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • No - TSLA does not buy SCTY

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frankly, I think it's a distraction from more important priorities. Building the worlds largest battery factory, scaling up production capacity by 10x in an unprecedented amount of time, expanding the worlds largest charging network and dealers/service centers, Autopilot 2.0+, and laying the foundations for Models Y and beyond is more than enough for one company to focus on. SCTY would suck down the capital that TSLA desperately needs to do all of those other (more important) things.

I think SCTY is great, and if it were 2020, with TSLA having a successful launch of the Model 3/Y the Gigafactory up and running, etc. then I would feel much differently as an investor. Right now, I think TSLA has more than enough on it's plate.

Frankly, I think it's a distraction from more important priorities. Building the worlds largest battery factory, scaling up production capacity by 10x in an unprecedented amount of time, expanding the worlds largest charging network and dealers/service centers, Autopilot 2.0+, and laying the foundations for Models Y and beyond is more than enough for one company to focus on. SCTY would suck down the capital that TSLA desperately needs to do all of those other (more important) things.

I think SCTY is great, and if it were 2020, with TSLA having a successful launch of the Model 3/Y the Gigafactory up and running, etc. then I would feel much differently as an investor. Right now, I think TSLA has more than enough on it's plate.

I sorta agree with you. But you also need to consider that in order for things to transpire 3 years down the road, it needs to happen now. This is roughly what Elon said in the SCTY+TSLA merger call. Sure TSLA is not in the best shape possible, I do see light of it improving its balance sheet this quarter, similarly for SCTY. I think TSLA will have much less to do once M3 is in full production which will happen in roughly 1 year from now.

I agree, not a great time to acquire Solar City given other priorities, but the acquisition may not be viable in the future. If Tesla waits, there's a chance Solar City goes belly up and disappears, as well as a chance that Solar City gets everything in order and becomes far more expensive to acquire. Hopefully they can juggle it all successfully. I really do wish them the best. Godspeed.

I agree, not a great time to acquire Solar City given other priorities, but the acquisition may not be viable in the future. If Tesla waits, there's a chance Solar City goes belly up and disappears, as well as a chance that Solar City gets everything in order and becomes far more expensive to acquire. Hopefully they can juggle it all successfully. I really do wish them the best. Godspeed.

And if SCTY goes under, I believe Tesla would lose access to the sweet deal they have with New York for the Buffalo gigafactory.