Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would AP1 go with these curves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not watch the super long clip just to find out what you mean
However, I were on some rather fast, narrow mountain roads today, with fresh , unmarked asphalt, and curves.
It does a great job, confident steering makes the nice slow down feel even excessive once you know it well.
One of the clips shows how it got thrown off, and returned control to me as the new paved road suddenly good much wider.
I am *very* impressed with it's performance.
Here are some clips I took:

I would say that is no better than AP1. The worst part about "semi" auto pilot whether it is AP1 or AP2 is how the car tends to go to the outside of the curve; not a comfortable feeling when a large truck is coming the other way and the back end is hugging the inside of the corner. I would have thought AP2 would do a better job of this but apparently not. I am not qualified to claim AP1 is better than AP2, but I drove about 300 km yesterday through a road at least as twisty as that one on AP1 and not once did my car hit the outside shoulder. Plenty of times it slows down in corners; especially when it sees a meridian on the outside of the corner, but I hit the accelerator so it doesn't slow down as much.

And sorry, but that is not a winding road. I'm in BC; we have plenty of winding roads, that is my definition of a straight road with some bends.

When I drive these roads in a car that handles as well as a Tesla I don't understand why anyone would want to engage AP anyway; takes all the fun out of the drive.

Reactions: Evil Twin
I would say that is no better than AP1. The worst part about "semi" auto pilot whether it is AP1 or AP2 is how the car tends to go to the outside of the curve; not a comfortable feeling when a large truck is coming the other way and the back end is hugging the inside of the corner. I would have thought AP2 would do a better job of this but apparently not. I am not qualified to claim AP1 is better than AP2, but I drove about 300 km yesterday through a road at least as twisty as that one on AP1 and not once did my car hit the outside shoulder. Plenty of times it slows down in corners; especially when it sees a meridian on the outside of the corner, but I hit the accelerator so it doesn't slow down as much.

And sorry, but that is not a winding road. I'm in BC; we have plenty of winding roads, that is my definition of a straight road with some bends.

When I drive these roads in a car that handles as well as a Tesla I don't understand why anyone would want to engage AP anyway; takes all the fun out of the drive.

Agreed....If I was ever on a road like that with zero traffic I'd grab the wheel and put one robot out of a job....

AP2 in an M3

My AP1 winds almost flawlessly through the badlands on 60 not far from you and the 79 every weekend. It doesn't speed adjust as well as my AP2 but it handles the crests and curves much better. Especially critical at night as oncoming headlights are blinding through the west part of the pass. My AP2 goes wide on the tighter turns but I've been wondering if the bulk of the X is partly to blame.....not as tight to the road and wanders.

Thanks for your vid/tour. I'll try the 79 one morning.

I have found AP1 to be flawless on level roads, down hill inclines or highways. The only time I run into any problems is with a steep uphill back road with a sharp curve at the top of the hill. It loses the lines on those.

Completely agree about AP1 and back road up hills. I don’t even try using it anymore on roads with a lot of up and down hills.

The road can be perfectly straight, just with a hill. AP1 will crest the top of the hill and try to sharply swerve right or left.

Reactions: Jashev