TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How would AP1 go with these curves?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Nuclear Fusion, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Nuclear Fusion

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

In my experience sharp curves are absolutely not AP1’s forte. Whether it’s routes to LA, Vegas, or Tahoe, AP2 has been exceeding AP1’s curve tracking abilities ever since the March update.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Nuclear Fusion

Can AP do hairpin bends if you slow it down to its minimum?

4. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Depends on the curve. It’s been able to do many clover leafs for me at 25mph but at other times it can suddenly get it wrong and that’s the scariest thing in such a situation. Definitely calls for a death grip on the wheel if you plan on testing that!

5. Ande

Ande Member

I did not watch the super long clip just to find out what you mean
    However, I were on some rather fast, narrow mountain roads today, with fresh , unmarked asphalt, and curves.
    It does a great job, confident steering makes the nice slow down feel even excessive once you know it well.
    One of the clips shows how it got thrown off, and returned control to me as the new paved road suddenly good much wider.
    I am *very* impressed with it's performance.
    Here are some clips I took:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Nuclear Fusion

Thanks for being generous with your time & those video clips

7. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

I would say that is no better than AP1. The worst part about "semi" auto pilot whether it is AP1 or AP2 is how the car tends to go to the outside of the curve; not a comfortable feeling when a large truck is coming the other way and the back end is hugging the inside of the corner. I would have thought AP2 would do a better job of this but apparently not. I am not qualified to claim AP1 is better than AP2, but I drove about 300 km yesterday through a road at least as twisty as that one on AP1 and not once did my car hit the outside shoulder. Plenty of times it slows down in corners; especially when it sees a meridian on the outside of the corner, but I hit the accelerator so it doesn't slow down as much.

And sorry, but that is not a winding road. I'm in BC; we have plenty of winding roads, that is my definition of a straight road with some bends.

When I drive these roads in a car that handles as well as a Tesla I don't understand why anyone would want to engage AP anyway; takes all the fun out of the drive.

• Like x 1
  8. Nuclear Fusion

When you’re snaking your way up the mountain on the way home from a 10 hour day at work, fun is a sadistic concept....

• Like x 1
  9. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

I just watched that video yesterday.....amazing what I'll spend 20 minutes watching these days....

10. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

Agreed....If I was ever on a road like that with zero traffic I'd grab the wheel and put one robot out of a job....

11. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

My AP1 winds almost flawlessly through the badlands on 60 not far from you and the 79 every weekend. It doesn't speed adjust as well as my AP2 but it handles the crests and curves much better. Especially critical at night as oncoming headlights are blinding through the west part of the pass. My AP2 goes wide on the tighter turns but I've been wondering if the bulk of the X is partly to blame.....not as tight to the road and wanders.

Thanks for your vid/tour. I'll try the 79 one morning.

12. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

I have found AP1 to be flawless on level roads, down hill inclines or highways. The only time I run into any problems is with a steep uphill back road with a sharp curve at the top of the hill. It loses the lines on those.

13. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Agree I'm not seeing any significant curves in that video. Everything I've seen so far AP1 would handle just as well.

14. RGloverii

RGloverii Member

Completely agree about AP1 and back road up hills. I don’t even try using it anymore on roads with a lot of up and down hills.

The road can be perfectly straight, just with a hill. AP1 will crest the top of the hill and try to sharply swerve right or left.

• Like x 1