Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would losing the $7500 US tax credit affect Tesla and Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forget about Romney. After the election, you could see Congress and Obama pass Simpson-Bowles during the lame duck session which would get rid of most tax credits and exemptions. They would do this as a way to resolve the fiscal cliff. Chances are remote though.

In Ontario, Canada the current (Liberal) provincial government offers an $8,500 EV credit at the time of purchase (credited on the after-tax purchase price of the car). The current government is teetering on the edge, and the likely successor would be a Conservative government that is already on record as being against the current green electricity initiatives (including coal generation phase-out, Solar and Wind incentives etc.).

It is possible Ontarians could lose the EV credit as well.

It's funny, but reading through the Forum, it seems as though at least 1/3 of all Model S reservation holders cannot take advantage of the Tax benefit anyway. That's thousands of people. The tax benefit is a good incentive to help the adoption of EVs in transportation. Just look at the Toyota Prius. 200,000 cars with a $2,500 tax break. Now the Prius is the 3rd best selling sedan in the world. You think Toyota didn't benefit from that? And they are not even an American company. Why help them, and not help an American company like Tesla Motors?? And yet, we are still giving tax breaks to folks who purchase large gas guzzling SUVs weighing over 6,000 pounds.

Sometimes I wonder about these politicians.

To answer your original question - Tesla would survive anyway, but EV adoption (in general) would be slower without the tax benefit for EVs. Frankly, I think the tax break ought to be point of purchase, so every EV customer could benefit. Not just the higher income reservation holders. Sometimes the guy who can barely afford the car is the one who needs the tax break the most.

Okay, so it was a loophole in the tax code for business users that's now been closed.

Potential damage to the IRS is much more limited now - can only abused to the tune of $11,060:

Vehicles used in your businesses qualify - but certain passenger vehicles have a total depreciation deduction limitation of $11,060, while other vehicles that by their nature are not likely to be used more than a minimal amount for personal purposes qualify for full Section 179 deduction.

I just enjoyed the benefit of nearly no EV incentives here in Germany - can't fear to lose something you don't have!

If the $7,500 tax credit is rescinded, Tesla can accelerate market entry in other countries.
Model S deliveries in Canada are about to begin. It is unlikely that EV incentives there are revoked at the same time and in all provinces/territories. >600 reservations.
Europe has >2000 reservations.
But the biggest bang would be Tesla entering China.

Frankly, I think the tax break ought to be point of purchase, so every EV customer could benefit. Not just the higher income reservation holders. Sometimes the guy who can barely afford the car is the one who needs the tax break the most.

That could be easily rectified if they just allowed the credit to apply for more than one tax year as they do for other tax breaks.

... Frankly, I think the tax break ought to be point of purchase, so every EV customer could benefit. Not just the higher income reservation holders. Sometimes the guy who can barely afford the car is the one who needs the tax break the most.

Yeah, that idea has been proposed before:
DailyTech - Obama Introduces $4.7 Billion Proposal to Expand EV Tax Credit, Help Advanced-Tech Autos

...To break it down further, Obama wants to spend $2 billion to increase the EV tax credit from $7,500 to $10,000 and to turn it into a point of sale rebate...

I agree with TEG, point of sale should be the way to go. I think if Romney is elected we will be in serious trouble developing alternate fuel sources in this country. But on the bright side we could look forward to getting a huge Tax Credit on a coal burning car, I'm sure Mr Romney will propose, anyone know where I can get a 4.4 sec 0 to 60 steam car.

anyone know where I can get a 4.4 sec 0 to 60 steam car.
That would be the Tesla Model S performance. Most (non-renewable) generated electricity comes from steam turbines. The fuel (coal, gas, trash, soylent green, etc.) is burned to create heat, which boils water into steam, which drives a turbine, which is connected to a generator, which makes electricity. Nukes do the same, but without the burning part, but they still just boil water. Thus most Models S run on steam.

That would be the Tesla Model S performance. Most (non-renewable) generated electricity comes from steam turbines. The fuel (coal, gas, trash, soylent green, etc.) is burned to create heat, which boils water into steam, which drives a turbine, which is connected to a generator, which makes electricity. Nukes do the same, but without the burning part, but they still just boil water. Thus most Models S run on steam.

Natural gas generally ends up only producing about half its power via steam (in a 'combined cycle') the other is produced directly by combusting it in a gas turbine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_turbine_power_plant#Industrial_gas_turbines_for_power_generation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas_power_plant#Gas_turbine_plants

EDIT: There are pure steam based natural gas plants also.

Last edited: