TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How would not having a Web Browser affect you?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Lerxt, May 16, 2014.

1. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Our glorious "democratically" elected leaders in Hong Kong have decreed that the Web Browser will not be available for us plebs who ordered the Model S.

I would be interested in your opinions about how this would affect your user experience of the Model S based on your usage...

Thanks

2. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Nearly no impact.

i've only used the browser to read some news a couple of times when waiting in the car while my wife runs into a store for something. I've also use it occasionally to check the weather (with a bookmark).

In both those situations, my phone would have sufficed...

3. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I can't remember the last time I used the web browser. I do remember that it was very slow, though.

4. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

Not as big a deal as it would seem, really. That's what your smart phone is for! I wouldn't miss it much.

5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Absent an App Store, I had hoped to use the web browser to access web apps I write. That won't be possible in Hong Kong Model S.

6. swegman

swegman Member

Not at all. The browser is so slow and limited (i.e., no video capability, etc) that it is useless. Use the browser on your iPhone or android phone instead.

7. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

No impact.. right now. 6.0 could change that if Tesla decides to enable more capability in the browser. We've already seen them add location, which makes using things like Plugshare and weather sites much more useful.

And a better solution to just omitting the browser would be custom firmware that locks it while the vehicle is in motion, if that's the concern.

8. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Not at all. I've only ever used it to peak at Tesla's stock price a few times while stopped at red lights. I find that if I leave it on the Yahoo finance page for TSLA it refreshes in the background, so a quick switch to the browser and back is all that is needed to check. Otherwise, it's just too slow to be of any interactive use.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

99% of the use is when showing the car. The Peacemaker Package always gets a laugh.

10. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

No impact. I've used it when waiting for someone at the train station. I have found it slow also.

11. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

I always have my Google Calendar displayed, and use it constantly to see where I'm supposed to be going next.

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I use the browser occasionally, but not enough to NOT get the car if it weren't included. It's probably better for the passengers that don't have cells or don't want to use them.

13. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

Never use it, my iPhone does the job better

14. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

The browser is so slow and buggy (it freezes if you bring up a Google spreadsheet), that it is useless for me.

15. deonb

deonb Active Member

No impact. It's not convenient to type much on that screen - even if it was a good browser (which it's not), a phone or iPad is much easier to use.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I find it marginally useful for checking the weather. Would not be the end of the world if it diasappeared. Would be a lit more useful if it was a lot faster.

17. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

No joke the Peacemaker Package kept my 3 year old entertained for 15 minutes today while we were waiting for Mom. Every time she hit eject I screamed and she just cackled. Too funny...

photo-26.JPG

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

link to that? I can SOMEWHAT make it out from the pic, but not enough.

19. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

20. Kraken

Kraken Member

It would make sitting waiting for my wife (or vice versa more boring)... it's easier to read these forums on that than it is a phone.

That being said, without further integration, it isn't very great. It would be awesome if clicking a phone number in the browser would port it over to the phone app. Also it would be nice for it to port to Nav.