Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would not having a Web Browser affect you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
Our glorious "democratically" elected leaders in Hong Kong have decreed that the Web Browser will not be available for us plebs who ordered the Model S.

I would be interested in your opinions about how this would affect your user experience of the Model S based on your usage...

Thanks

Nearly no impact.

i've only used the browser to read some news a couple of times when waiting in the car while my wife runs into a store for something. I've also use it occasionally to check the weather (with a bookmark).

In both those situations, my phone would have sufficed...

No impact.. right now. 6.0 could change that if Tesla decides to enable more capability in the browser. We've already seen them add location, which makes using things like Plugshare and weather sites much more useful.

And a better solution to just omitting the browser would be custom firmware that locks it while the vehicle is in motion, if that's the concern.

Not at all. I've only ever used it to peak at Tesla's stock price a few times while stopped at red lights. I find that if I leave it on the Yahoo finance page for TSLA it refreshes in the background, so a quick switch to the browser and back is all that is needed to check. Otherwise, it's just too slow to be of any interactive use.

99% of the use is when showing the car. The Peacemaker Package always gets a laugh.

No joke the Peacemaker Package kept my 3 year old entertained for 15 minutes today while we were waiting for Mom. Every time she hit eject I screamed and she just cackled. Too funny...

photo-26.JPG

It would make sitting waiting for my wife (or vice versa more boring)... it's easier to read these forums on that than it is a phone.

That being said, without further integration, it isn't very great. It would be awesome if clicking a phone number in the browser would port it over to the phone app. Also it would be nice for it to port to Nav.