TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How would you all handle - service issue

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Damien Sandow, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Damien Sandow

Damien Sandow Member

So I'll try to make this as brief as possible, but I want to see how you all would handle this situation.

On Saturday I noticed in the app that my trunk was seemingly open. My car was level 2 charging about a half a mile away so I tried closing the trunk via the app. I hit the button multiple times and it kept showing open, so I made my way over in which the trunk was wide open in a busy parking lot (not good). I closed the trunk like normal and went on with my day only to open the app a bit later to notice the trunk still showed as open even though I saw it close.

When I got back to the car the trunk was closed, but the car wouldn't recognize the trunk as being closed. I called Tesla and they tried to help me troubleshoot over the phone to not avail. I was told since it was the holiday weekend that no rangers could help me out nor could I get to the Service Center since they would be closed. I was OK with this because I was told I would be contacted by a ranger on Tuesday morning.

Well Tuesday comes and I hadn't heard from anyone, so I reached out at 3pm to see what was going on. I get the runaround that I shouldn't have been told someone would call me and that the soonest I could get the car serviced was a pre-existing service appointment I have for later this month. Not great. Lo and behold I receive a call from someone with the rangers and get told I will get a call back from them if the part necessary is in stock or receive an email/text if the part to fix the trunk needs to be ordered. Neither of these things happened and I am sitting here with a car that can't lock nor any of the cruise features work because the car thinks the trunk is open.

Luckily I have a secured spot to park my car at night, but I drive a lot for work and I have locations I visit (for work) that aren't in the best parts of the Chicagoland area and my car sets unlocked. What would you all do to get something done? Should I be sitting back and waiting on Tesla-time or what? Who should I contact? Am I being unreasonable? I feel like no one actually cares about getting the issue fixed. Unfortunately I don't have another vehicle to drive and I don't work from home.

2. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

Reboot.

There was a post on here about detecting trunk closure and a way to making it happen by doing a certain sequence of steps.., search a bit.

3. Damien Sandow

Damien Sandow Member

Been there, done that. Only good thing I found is that I should be able to lock the door via the MCU before getting out of the car.

4. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Your cinch motor died and got stuck half way through the cycle. I assume you can't open it either, right? This is a huge pain to fix if you don't catch it before the motor fails.

• Like x 1