Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would YOU configure a Model S for the budget conscience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
85 - Comes with supercharging and the extended range is great.
Tech - I think this is a requirement in this tech car.
Leather - I have the Tan Leather and wish I had gone with cloth. After 6 months and 7K miles the drivers seat is already discolored. I ordered some Wet Okole covers, so I ordered leather and transformed to cloth.
Pano - My Wife convinced me on this and I am glad we got it. It opens up the car and is very cool!

Everything else is user preference. I have seen many standard white Teslas and they look great.

Skipping the tech pack is totally crazy IMO especially given all the Autopilot features that will be included with it. Just consider it to be a mandatory part of the car :)

After that I'd choose to go up to 85 from 60, and then everything else after that is totally optional.

An S85 with just the tech pack is 95% as good as a fully loaded P85D in everyday use.

In terms of future re-sale I think leather and pano are the obvious next options to include. And remember that if you ever want to use a roofrack you can only do this if you have pano.

And finally if you have kids of the right age, the third row seats are worth considering. But you'll know if that applies to you.

Personally I would like AWD with the old tech package but I guess I understand people wanting 'auto features' and sensors. not really useful or needed where I live and drive IMO( IR heads up would be neat if it was available)

s85 vs p8d5d for everyday use...no comparison! I drove an s85 once and for everyday use it just didn't compare to my P85 at all. P85D =/ S85

and like many said if you don't want autopilot and can live with rear wheel drive then you might find a P85+ from just before the D was announced for a good deal in the spring.
same 0-60 as the P85D in Sport mode(as long as you can get some traction)

For what it's worth, I placed an order for a similar build.

I think 85 is just about essential. Realistically, 60 would work for me virtually all the time, but the extra margin is worth it to me, and road trips should be much more convenient with 85, both because of the extra margin, and because I'll be able to charge significantly faster with superchargers.

I went with standard white. I kind of want blue, but the wife doesn't like it much and I'm not too picky, and saving money is always good. I figure you spend most of your time inside the car looking out, so color isn't that big a deal for me.

Pano roof is an option I really wanted. The extra headroom is good, but mainly I just love the idea of being able to see the sky, and have something I can open up in the warmer months. I haven't owned a car with any sort of sunroof before so we'll see how it actually works out, but whenever I've ridden in a car that has one I really enjoy it.

I got leather seats. I thought textile was pretty nice, but the wife wanted leather, and that's OK with me too. I could easily go either way on that.

I went with the cheapest options on the interior. None of it matters enough for me to care to spend money on it. I think all the choices are really nice!

I got the tech package. Like you, autopilot sealed the deal for me. Even without it, I think I'd be really annoyed not having features like the auto-extending handles. It's annoying to have to pay so much for them, but I also think it would be dumb not to have them. Even my bottom-of-the-line Prius will automatically unlock the car when I touch the driver-side handle. I can't imagine paying over 3x more money for a car that doesn't even do that. I'm kind of glad that autopilot made the choice more clear.

Dual motor sounds cool, but between the cost and the much-reduced frunk space it was a clear "no" for me. We don't get a lot of winter here in Virginia, but I imagine it will be fine regardless. I mean, the RWD Model S is one of the most popular cars in Norway, so it must be OK!

I went with subzero. I initially thought "no," but was convinced otherwise by various members of this forum. Heated rear sets sound handy on occasion, even if I won't use them most of the time. Heated steering wheel will be nice if I actually get it (I'm assuming/hoping that it will be on 100% of cars by the time mine goes into production in Marchish). Wiper performance in snow or sleet has always annoyed me in other cars so I think the cold-related improvements to the wiper are also worthwhile here.

I also got the basic sound system. I think I'm towards the less picky end of the spectrum when it comes to sound equipment, and I imagine I'll be entirely happy with the basic one. I see a lot of comments about how the premium sound system is a must-buy, or even itself inadequate and you need to go third-party. I'm betting those are folks with much more discerning tastes than I. As long as I can hear my music clearly while at highway speeds without turning it up to a deafening volume (a sad problem with my Prius, wind and engine noise get super annoyingly loud at 70+MPH) I'll be happy.

I went for standard suspension. I didn't much care one way or another, so between the extra cost and potential reliability problems, it was a clear choice.

My own personal opinion, and yours may differ entirely of course, is that both 85 and tech package are must haves at this point, and if you decide you need to save a few thousand dollars on a purchase of this size, I'd say it would be worth waiting a little longer to save some more money towards the purchase before buying. Just my two cents, and not worth even that.

S85 with the tech package. Nothing else. I cannot recommend the 60 for many reasons. #1 warranty (8yr unlimited mile), #2 range (yes, you need it), #3 it includes better tires (actually I'm not sure if this one anymore as all info regarding tires on S60 and S85 have been removed and theres no more option to upgrade to michelin from S60 and no description on the S85 that it uses Michelin tires anymore), #4 includes supercharging, #5 it's faster ... I know theres a few more reasons too. Can't think of them off the top of my head. battery life as the years pass will be better too bc it will have smaller depth of discharge cycles.

$71,320 (after incentives)
60 with supercharging
tech package
panoroof
leather

Tech package is fundamental to the Model S. Panoroof (even if you never open it) gives you more headroom, and the extra light inside the cabin makes it a more roomy car, plus it's just odd that a $60k+ car doesn't have a sunroof.

Well, after 50 years of driving a car, one aspect that is important to me is the
interior of the car and how one interacts with the vehicle.

You spend most of your time inside the car, so visually and functionally
I like options that enhance that experience.

Things like the Winter Package, Tech Package, Panoroof, and leather interior would be
the types of options that I would just have to have at this stage of my life.... sound system
is also important as is the wood trim and headliner color.

I am not sure if the dual chargers are important, as they are not used in the
SuperCharger refill and there are not too many remote HPWC 40Amp + outlets
that I see me using once the SuperCharger network is fleshed out.

My typical driving day is 40 miles or less so refilling at home will be the norm.

As mentioned earlier, there are some nice 2014 Model S out there used that
are very well optioned at a reasonable discount.

Last edited:
With careful consideration of your post, my impression of your budget Model S is a silver 85 w/ tech only.

Mine is non-tech, but now it adds so much potential that it's difficult to pass up.
Give serious consideration to the cold weather package. It's one of Tesla's lower cost options, and it gets rear heated seats, which your 3 year old would be sitting on in a few years; not to mention guest passengers. They really work great, if the rears are as good as the fronts.

It does sound like a 60kWh would do for you, given your low daily and annual distances. But with the cold you get, the 85 will let you feel more at ease and let you make that extra errand without getting too low. It won't be that long before you'll be shuttling the kids to and from activities. When you do start taking trips, it will help a lot. It's a pricey upgrade, so a tough decision for you.

As others have noted:
Pano adds headroom and makes if feel larger. Nobody in my family is over 5'-6" so not an issue for me.
If you use winter tires you shouldn't need AWD, which would drastically reduce front trunk space. That space will come in very handy as your family grows.

I think tire wear RWD vs AWD ought to even out if you rotate tires as recommended.
A used/inventory vehicle could be the solution, but not an answer to the question you posed.

One more thing: You didn't seem to be considering the rear seats. Just be aware it is not a retrofit option.

Last edited:
#3 it includes better tires (actually I'm not sure if this one anymore as all info regarding tires on S60 and S85 have been removed and theres no more option to upgrade to michelin from S60 and no description on the S85 that it uses Michelin tires anymore)

All vehicles with 19" wheels come with the Michelin Primacy tires now. They eliminated the Goodyears entirely back when they changed the order form. Not sure where the cut point is for vehicles that were already ordered (my assumption would be that they used up their Goodyears and then even if you ordered back when the upgrade was an option you'll just get the Primacy tires).

All vehicles with 19" wheels come with the Michelin Primacy tires now. They eliminated the Goodyears entirely back when they changed the order form. Not sure where the cut point is for vehicles that were already ordered (my assumption would be that they used up their Goodyears and then even if you ordered back when the upgrade was an option you'll just get the Primacy tires).

well the specs page still shows Goodyear as standard though, lol. oh well.

well the specs page still shows Goodyear as standard though, lol. oh well.

I asked back in October when the Primacy option was removed and that's what I was told. If the tire option matters you should ask Tesla, the answer I got in October may not be correct anymore or it may not have even been correct then. It's pretty clear that even Tesla employees are out of the loop most of the time.

Yes, this is really true. The used prices up here from private vendors are substantially more than down south. For example, here's some asking prices in BC (we have no EV rebate on new vehicles but still):

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/4752347777.html
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4782429535.html
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/ctd/4778194610.html

However, since OP is in Ontario, and Ontario has an EV rebate of $8.5k, he should really look at the "used" ones from Tesla since he will still qualify for the rebate. Plus, those are the only reasonably priced used ones up here.

Good call!

Buy used. That's your best bet IMHO. Lots of folks are upgrading to P85D from their barely-used P85s or 85s with the configuration you like at a very good discounted price. And since you are still getting a rebate from the govt, you're all set! Good luck!

Buy used. That's your best bet IMHO. Lots of folks are upgrading to P85D from their barely-used P85s or 85s with the configuration you like at a very good discounted price. And since you are still getting a rebate from the govt, you're all set! Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it!

8.5k rebate is only on a new vehicle, or a "used" with under 2,000 km from Tesla. Going with a used with higher mileage I get less warranty and lose the rebate. Plus, the build quality keeps getting better and better, so I have more confidence buying new. Used pricing in Canada is not what it is in the states. Lately, I have seen 1.5 year old loaded S85s with 40,000-60,000kms, for the same price that I can buy a bare bones new S85. Given this choice, I'll take bare bones new.

I didn't really consider the jump seats, as once the kids are too big for them its not useful anymore, the kids can just sit in the backseat which frees up my trunk, and I have heard it gets hot/cold in the jump seats....PLUS, there are so many other options I would rather have.

Pano roof...its true you don't really notice it while driving, I find this on my sunroof now. But, you gain headroom which in the rear seats is needed, its only $2,000 if I'm comparing to non-pano silver, and it looks amazing with white which is my favorite colour. I can't see getting white without it.

I don't think I can, in good conscience, get tech and not get the 85. Pretty much decided on standard white with pano, so my choices would be bare bones 60 (with supercharging) and save almost 15k, 85 no tech and save 5k, or 85 with tech. (savings with taxes included)

Winter pkg...pre heating the car makes it seem unnecessary to me, I would only want it with heated wheel, and price might go up once wheel is included. I think heated front seats come standard (I don't like anyway), as they are not listed under tech pkg, only REAR heated seats are listed. I have heard wiper defrosters don't so much. So, paying for this pkg when heated wheel is all I want, but will rarely need due to pre-heating, seems silly to me, especially when I could put that towards options I want more.

Very undecided on leather vs textile...all the textile people say its great and lasts better than the leather, but spills are a concern with kids, and I like my current leather seats. Leaning towards textile.

My other overall thought is I could get the bare bones 60 now, and then get the larger battery model 3 later (hopefully in a CUV form), for us to use for longer trips, making the 60 perfectly fine for the S. My kids are young/not even here yet, so we aren't going to be taking any huge road trips any time soon...like maybe 5 years before trying a big trip down to Florida. As I only take a handful of out of town trips a year now, I can take the ICE if charging won't work out. On the other hand, it seems kind of crazy to spend 80k on car that I can't easily take for a day trip to Toronto (250km away) if its a cold winter day. I've probably repeated my thoughts a lot from my first post here, sorry, this stuff gets my brain running in circles.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I am thinking 85 with tech package (a must). I differ on the pano sunroof, I don't want it. I'm sure it adds weight and a non pano car is quieter and there's less to go wrong. I'd rather have the textile seats and regular suspension after reading about them. I've always liked lightly optioned cars. I am thinking about getting the awd since that is one option I'm sure will increase resale by 2-3k so it's really only going to cost you a couple thousand. Also consider with awd you can get 5% more range and that implies it is going to charge 5% faster (more miles for given charge) and will be 5% cheaper to refill. Also it should be great for winter trips up to the mountains and has a little better acceleration according to the website.

I'm considering a used P85 but really want the auto pilot.

I'm in the same boat. I am thinking 85 with tech package (a must). I differ on the pano sunroof, I don't want it. I'm sure it adds weight and a non pano car is quieter and there's less to go wrong. I'd rather have the textile seats and regular suspension after reading about them. I've always liked lightly optioned cars. I am thinking about getting the awd since that is one option I'm sure will increase resale by 2-3k so it's really only going to cost you a couple thousand. Also consider with awd you can get 5% more range and that implies it is going to charge 5% faster (more miles for given charge) and will be 5% cheaper to refill. Also it should be great for winter trips up to the mountains and has a little better acceleration according to the website.

I'm considering a used P85 but really want the auto pilot.

Good points, but I don't think I could pick awd over tech, and both together kill my budget.

Also, forgot to mention, I plan on keeping LONG term, so resale not a priority for me.

That's what I did and got $12k off the sticker price plus realized the savings on sales tax from the price reduction. And I still get $10k in government incentives. My compromise was 2600 miles on the car at delivery and a small scratch on my rear wheel.

The biggest bang you can get is to find one used, where someone else has absorbed a lot of the initial depreciation. Aside from that, there are opinions everywhere. My car is in my sig - I've never regretted spending the money on the larger battery pack, but that's because I have a very common 210 mile round-trip that I want to be able to do at 80mph and have some reserve-- not possible in a 60.

I cannot imagine this car without the tech package.

I don't have the pano roof, and I've never missed it. Also seems like "one more thing to break"...

I'm NOT a "car person" so I was pretty budget aware when I built mine... but the larger battery, the tech, and the leather seats were requirements. I talked myself into the parking sensors because the car is MUCH larger than what I was used to.

I'm looking at the used market. 85 black on black, leather, tech and sound package... 2013+ for $70k. (All other options... optional to me).

I want the 85 to make trips to the wife's family and for the super charger network. at $2k to add super vs $10k (so really 8k) the bigger batt makes sense to me.

Ohh, the 85 also comes with a longer warranty on the go parts.

My wife and I like to drive, so we are already dreaming about epic road trips across the US... PA to CA, PA to FL, PA to TX, etc.

I'd love the P85D maxed out and what not, but I'm also on a budget.

The $200/month more it's going to tack on my loan for a toy will be negated by gas savings (or would have before gas got cheaper)...

I'm selling 2 of my jet skis and my 2012 Wrangler to get this S... so... yea I really want one.. this is my 3rd wrangler... and letter her go is gonna hurt.